Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Brewers: What's on tap?

Default Home Brewers: What's on tap?

Anyone else brew their own beer or cider? I'm a fan of stouts, but I'm increasingly enjoying IPA's.

I'm a cheater though, I'm back to using extracts to help cut down on the time requirement brew day.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterJM View Post
    Anyone else brew their own beer or cider? I'm a fan of stouts, but I'm increasingly enjoying IPA's.

I'm a cheater though, I'm back to using extracts to help cut down on the time requirement brew day.
    I just kegged a blonde last week and I have an IPA in primary right now

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Very nice. I just lost 3 batches to infection (pilsner, IPA, and an amber). First time it's happened to me. Nearest I can figure is that my grain strainer wasn't properly sterilized, that's the only item I used in all 3 batches.

Sad day to open and pour out that many bottles.

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

i tried once, it was a pilsner. it was so sweet, i dumped them out and never tired again.

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

I don't have the time with all the meth I'm cooking up....

6. The Following 6 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Ryan Braun is my favorite Brewer.

8. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

My dad and I used to brew our own stuff before I left for the military and he still does, but I just haven't found the time. One of these days though, when my dad-to-day is a little more stable, I'll get back in to it. I'd love to be able to brew my own traditional IPA or real hefeweisen.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I need to bottle two batches that have been in the fermenter for 4 weeks now. Hopefully, I can get at least one of them bottled this week.

I still have an awesome English Pale Ale that is probably the best one I've done out of the 5 batches I've been able to drink so far. It's a high-gravity Pale Ale, so it has a high ABV, and a strong hop profile to balance it out. . .it's almost an IPA, but not quite. Delicious. . .I'm getting thirsty.

11. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Still finishing off the Oktoberfest I bottled a month ago. Got a dopplebock fermenting for the winter consumption.

Actually hadnt brewed anything for almost a year til I did the Oktoberfest.

13. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Still finishing off the Oktoberfest I bottled a month ago. Got a dopplebock fermenting for the winter consumption.

You're the one who originally got me interested in the idea. . .do you do all grain, or extract?

I have been doing "mini-mashes". . .not all-grain, but much better than all extract as well. .. I don't have the equipment yet to go all grain, and honestly, what I've been brewing is so good. .. I can't imagine it getting much better with all grain.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterJM View Post
    Very nice. I just lost 3 batches to infection (pilsner, IPA, and an amber). First time it's happened to me. Nearest I can figure is that my grain strainer wasn't properly sterilized, that's the only item I used in all 3 batches.

Sad day to open and pour out that many bottles.
    I'll sterilize your grain strainer

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post

huh. I never took you for a homebrewer. You seem too cool

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrew View Post
    i tried once, it was a pilsner. it was so sweet, i dumped them out and never tired again.
    that's weird. so like you haven't slept or napped at all since?

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I was going to try this once, until I realized that the majority of the time is spent sterilizing bottles and equipment.

Am I wrong about that?

20. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    You're the one who originally got me interested in the idea. . .do you do all grain, or extract?

I have been doing "mini-mashes". . .not all-grain, but much better than all extract as well. .. I don't have the equipment yet to go all grain, and honestly, what I've been brewing is so good. .. I can't imagine it getting much better with all grain.
    Depends. Even with the equipment, it's not always easy to get a grain beer to come out the way you plan. I got this recipe book about 2 years ago and it has the recipes for a lot of commercial and micro beers.

A beer I like that is hard to get since Katrina is Blackened Voodoo by Dixie Brewing. The recipe is in the book in both extract and grain form. I've tried the grain recipe twice and it sucks, but the extract is great. I alos made a Warsteiner out of there with grain and it came out great.

So, it's win some/lose some. If your extract stuff comes out the way you like it, then just stick with that. None of us are ever going to open a brewery, so why bother getting too technical if you dont have to.

Only 2 reasons to go all grain. Either you're really good at it...or your ego drives you to it. Mine was the latter.

22. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information