Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Batimore: Defense Wins Championshiops (Can it this year?)

Default Batimore: Defense Wins Championshiops (Can it this year?)

Baltimore Ravens: Defense Wins Championships (Can it this year?)

Let be first to say that in the past I was never a big fan of the Baltimore Ravens. For somereason (maybe how pathetic Denvers defense has been the last 2 years) I want them to win this week and would like nothing more than to see them win another Super Bowl.

That defense is consistently good year in and year out. Ed Reed is just a monster back assafety and is a game changer,
    evidenced by last week. The Dolphins set an NFL record in 2008of only committing 13 turnovers the whole season
    and last week in the WC game vs Balt they committed 5. 4 picks by Pennington when he only had 7 all season long.
    Terrell Suggsgets tons of pressure on the QB and this defense swarms to the ball and can be very confusing to any QB
    in the NFL. Ray Lewis has never been on my most favorite list but you have to admire the way he plays LB with such a
    tenacity that you know he has the burning desire
    to win. Bart Scott is an underrated LB. Samari Rolle will go against his former team this week and hopes to make an impact
    against them.

On the other side of the ball Joe Flacco did struggle at times as a rookie QB but after starting the season with 1 TD and 7
    picks through week 6, he finished with 13 TDs and 5 picks the rest of the season. He will get better IMO as time goes on
    as he has a rifle for an arm. LeRon McClain and WillisMcGahee form a good 1-2 punch at RB and do help control the clock
    for the Ravens. Derrick Mason did add 80 catches while being banged up all season long and also will be going against
    his former team. Todd Heap and Mark Clayton round out a solid receiving corps.

The Ravens did not have explosive special teams as in the past but still have a solid unit with Yamon Figures as a PR/KR
    and the very reliable Matt Stover as their kicker.

John (not Jim lol my bad) Harbough did a commendable job this year in his first year coaching in the NFL. Coming off of a 5-11 season,
    he showed guts putting in a rookie QB when injuries dictated thatand he will be much better off in the future for this.

I wish the Ravens well and hope they cause 3-4 turnovers in an exciting game at Tennesse
    Last edited by Medford Bronco; 01-09-2009 at 01:43 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I don't care for Ray Lewis but I have always admired the Ravens defense! Titans may have been off one week too long while the Ravens are on fire! We'll see!

4. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

For the Ravens it really comes down to Flacco. If he doesnt get crazy and turn the ball over and if he continues to play smart the Defense will do their job. I like their chances.

6. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Good stuff, works well with my game preview!
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

the titans, giants, eagles, steelers, panthers and ravens all have stout defenses. it is proven that when you have a defense it will get you to the playoffs more times then if you have an elite offense. i wish we had half the defense that the ravens did.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

The Ravens are not a Superbowl team. It's a 10 10 game and Baltimore just sucks. They had THREE turnovers, one of which they were lucky to get when Tennessee was in the red zone. They basically got a free 15 yards on the play were the Refs fail to recognize what the number 0 means.

They were lucky enough to have Chris Johnson get hurt. Basically they can barely win (if they do in fact stop Tennessee from a FG in the last 55 seconds) if they get every last break.

Whoever they play next is going to slap them silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    The Ravens are not a Superbowl team. It's a 10 10 game and Baltimore just sucks. They had THREE turnovers, one of which they were lucky to get when Tennessee was in the red zone. They basically got a free 15 yards on the play were the Refs fail to recognize what the number 0 means.

They were lucky enough to have Chris Johnson get hurt. Basically they can barely win (if they do in fact stop Tennessee from a FG in the last 55 seconds) if they get every last break.

That D causes turnovers.....

Defense does in fact win championships

13. The Following User High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    That D causes turnovers.....

Defense does in fact win championships
    Defense wins championships, but their defense won't. To give them much credit for this win would be laughable. The failure of the refs to recognize 0, the fumble by White that was basically him just dropping the ball without being hit hard, the fumble by Crumpler by going up in the air for no reason. Chris Johnson missing the second half, yes they won, but good luck getting those breaks next round.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Defense wins championships, but their defense won't. To give them much credit for this win would be laughable. The failure of the refs to recognize 0, the fumble by White that was basically him just dropping the ball without being hit hard, the fumble by Crumpler by going up in the air for no reason. Chris Johnson missing the second half, yes they won, but good luck getting those breaks next round.
    I was hoping to see a TN win but Collins pretty much choked that game away.His deep passes were horrible but he did well when he threw it down the middle.Not sure why they didn't stick to that.They were lucky I guess that Balt couldn't do more with the TOs.The TOs really hurt the Titans though.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived KCL For This Post:

Wow, Tennessee held Baltimore to only 50 yards rushing and 161 yards passing, while Baltimore allowed Tennessee 116 yards rushing and 275 yards passing. This should show Tennessee dominating, but ....

Tennessee gave up 1 INT and lost 3 fumbles, while the Baltimore offense gave up no INTs and no fumbles. I didn't see the game, so I don't know if those were unforced, or due to the Baltimore defense.

By the way it looks on paper, the Baltimore offense surely didn't win this game. They were lucky recipients of those 4 turnovers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Collins did a good job though he had a pick! The two turnovers by White and Crumpler is what killed them plus a missed FG by the kicker and with the penalties so the Titans screwed themselves. Ravens defense did a stellar job and it was a great game to watch. My only beef was the non call on the Ravens for delay of game because the refs called a good game up till that play.

19. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

it might end up being the chargers. that should be a great matchup. but superbowl teams find ways to win and thats what the ravens do, they find ways to win. i think thats 9 turnovers in 2 games now, against very good teams. you turn the ball over 4 times then that gives your offense 4 times to score and when you do it inside of your oponents 20 yard line then its almost gauranteed points.

13-10 doesnt sound sexy but i think they are the best team in the afc. they will handle pitt or the chargers and move on.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

21. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

King..be honest..are you just hatin on a division rival?

Their D has been nasty all year. Sure they got a break or 2, but so do all teams.

23. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

the 10 on the other end of that score is very sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    King..be honest..are you just hatin on a division rival?

Their D has been nasty all year. Sure they got a break or 2, but so do all teams.
    No, not at all. The Ravens are one of the most overhyped teams year in and year out. They had one of the greatest defenses ever, and because of that every time they climb the defensive standings people see shadows of that old team. There is a reason why they consistently lose to teams with very good QBs. Carson Palmer has carved them up consistently since 05. Hell I could argue 04 because of that 17 point come from behind fourth quarter, but whatevs.

Two of their turnovers they did nothing. Congratulations, a fat tight end jumped in the air and got hit moderately hard and he damn near hurled the ball 6 yards.

One of their biggest plays of the game only happened because a ref failed to understand the concept of 0. Another one of their big plays was a result of two defenders falling on their arses.

Here's a list of good teams they faced this year.

Steelers x2
    Colts
    Dolphins
    Giants
    Eagles
    Titans

They beat two of those teams. They owned the Dolphins, which is an excellent matchup for them on paper. And, they beat the Eagles. Which is fine, except Philly was either bleh or really good all year. They managed to face Philly when the Eagles crapola.

When you factor in all the breaks they got, and factor in that they barely won, it was not impressive at all. Hell, even the Titan's best back got hurt. What more could have happened for them?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information