Thread: Spano’s rants: The missing concussion policy in the nfl

Default Spano’s rants: The missing concussion policy in the nfl

Ok, as some of you have read, I've really enjoyed listening to Brandon Spano on his nightly radio show, and following him on Twitter (@BrandonSpano).

In addition to the nightly radio gig, this week he's started having a weekly column, or rant actually, on MileHighSports.com. Here's a snippet:

As my first rant on MileHighSports.com, I must first say that I will treat this like my show. Meaning that I will not hold back and I will be brutally honest and up front. They asked me to rant for a reason. With that said…

THE MISSING CONCUSSION POLICY IN THE NFL

How in the heck does the NFL get away with putting a player on the field six days after a concussion? If you end up with a concussion in MMA and boxing, whether caused by knockout or just obtained through the coarse of the fight, you receive an automatic 30-day suspension – meaning that you cannot compete in that state or any other for one full month. That’s right, one full month. No matter how un-severe it is.

Guess who determines if your injuries require a suspension? A doctor. That only makes sense, right? Wrong. In the NFL, the coaching staff or the front office or the even the player override the medical staff on a regular basis. I’ve never heard of a fighter telling a doctor from the athletic commission that he feels much better now and has no more symptoms. In the NFL this happens all the time.

Bottom line: This is crap. It’s a direct result of a player scared of losing playing time, which translates....

Read the rest of Spano's article/rant here: http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=6293
    If you want to catch Spano's radio show, the Brandon Spano Show, it's on weekday nights from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM (Mountain) on Mile High Sports Radio AM 1510 / FM 93.7 or you can stream it at http://www.milehighsports.com (click listen live).

I thought players had to be cleared by medical staff now.

There was a big hub bub about it last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I thought players had to be cleared by medical staff now.

There was a big hub bub about it last year.
    I read something last week related to Vick, about how it's optional to rely on the doctor, or something like that. They were giving Philly a hard time, because their trainer had been part of the group pushing for stricter standards or something along those lines.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

With all their attempts to provide player safety im surprised at how quick they are to allow players back on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I read something last week related to Vick, about how it's optional to rely on the doctor, or something like that. They were giving Philly a hard time, because their trainer had been part of the group pushing for stricter standards or something along those lines.
    One of us should dig up the policy. (you started the thread )

I remember a big name guy last year (Whitten?) who had to sit until the medical staff cleared him. Hines Ward has also complained about the policy.

It would be utterly shocking and hypocritical for players to be able to over ride the medical staff on a critical issue like this.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information