Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

It was awful. 2/10.

I was excited to see it, but now I just want my 3 hours back. It had potential to be great, but they screwed it up. I actually hated it. It only gets the two points for some brief but killer visual effects. Plus there was way too many guy's butts and blue dicks. It almost had a homoerotic vibe.
    RIP BroncosFreak and OrangeMane

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived chanesaw For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Careful Chan, your stepping on my dreams.....j/k

Ok, so yea. I can see both sides to the arguement here. There is a lot of moments in here that kind of chug along without any real excitement but like my wife said it all was necessary because there was a lot of back story. I think Smilin said it yesterday that they probably should of tried to make this into 2-3 movies instead of just one. But because it was just one it was important to do it this way.

And of course Shake was right in that it has a similiar vibe to Blade Runner and Clockwork Orange. Its a very cerebral type of movie which requires the viewer to pay attention and understand that this isnt the run of the mill comic book movie. It goes far deeper into the psyche of each and every one of the characters. But the fight scenes were excellent and visual effects were top notch so overall i was very pleased.

However, the ending pissed me off as my boy didnt make it through but in a way i was expecting it because i had read something to the effect of Rorschach biting it. And it was even true to the word as too why it happened which bothers me but at the same time i truly respect Rorschach's view. From what i understand Rorschach never saw anything in grey, it was either black or white/good or evil. So its understandable how he would react in the end. A true hero to the very end.

As for the dongs and all that, yea could of had less than that but from what ive read as Manhatten got further and further away from humanity his need or want for hiding himself just disappeared so they stayed true to the spirit of the book. Personally i never went looking for his schlong so it didnt bother me that much like the rest of you faggets. lol jk.

All in all a very good film but it is one of those that you have to be in the mood to sit down for. Even Silk's character had more meaning than i thought it would initially so it all came together nicely. Probably wont make my top 5 of all time but i did really enjoy it and i still like the character of Rorschach more than any other super hero. The food line scene and the scene in the apt. with the cops were excellent.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

Yeah, some of the people who knocked it, I dont think were looking for a plot and character driven storyline. I can tell you right now my brotherwants to see it but he won't enjoy it, because if its more than 1 1/2 - 2 hours long and people aren't dying 75% of the film, he can't be bothered.

SHORYUKEN!

6. The Following User High Fived Zweems56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I personally don't have any issues w/ "wordy" films. I liked the Assassination of Jesse James and there was no action in that. And I actually prefer a solid story to mindless carnage. If I want to not have to think...I watch comedies. Watchmen just didn't do it for me.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

People really seem to focus on Dr. Manhattans blue junk. I was like, "Oh, ok" the first time than maintained eye contact the rest of the movie.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I'm not fixated or anything...but it was there an awful lot.

12. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

A friend of mine read The Watchmen and as soon as he heard it was a movie, he hoped it would be a trilogy because of how long it would take to get the full effect of the comic while developing characters. When he heard the buzz that the whole tale was told through the one flick, he had a feeling it would appeal to some but not most. Mind you, he's a comic book artist and develops story boards, draws and inks for comics as well as develops characters. We're going to see it tomorrow, but I already have a feeling that I'm going to like it because I didn't read the comic, nor do I expect anything.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Devilspawn For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    but I already have a feeling that I'm going to like it because I didn't read the comic, nor do I expect anything.
    I think that is why i liked it in my case. It forced me to actually pay attention and find out why and who the characters are and why they are who they are. I think if your someone who was familiar with the comic that you might go in with a hesitation to begin with. It certainly is entertaining to some and not to others. All fair responses in my opinion.

16. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I think that is why i liked it in my case. It forced me to actually pay attention and find out why and who the characters are and why they are who they are. I think if your someone who was familiar with the comic that you might go in with a hesitation to begin with. It certainly is entertaining to some and not to others. All fair responses in my opinion.
    I think the only reason I enjoyed it because I looked at it as an "adaptation" of the book, not a literal translation. Sometimes I was like, "Damn, I wish (a or b) scene was in the movie", but then I remember that a longer version is coming to bluray soon. How much they were able to fit into almost 3 was pretty good though, and reading the book helped the ending have a stronger impact on me. One example is (SPOILER ALERT) explosion in downtown NY when the Newstand guy and the kid hug before they evaporate. In the book a whole subplot revolves around them.

Some things like the Comedian character were ten times better in the film, however. In the comic, he was just a jerk, the movie made him seem more like Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler". If you can't read the book, I highly recommend the motion comic. I watched all 5 hours of it over 3 days, and its the ultimate experience if you really want to feel the weight of the characters and storylines. I still say the Dr. Manhattan on Mars and Rorshach and the Psychiatrist are some of the best writing (graphic novel or novel) ever.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Quote Originally Posted by chanesaw View Post
    It was awful. 2/10.

I was excited to see it, but now I just want my 3 hours back. It had potential to be great, but they screwed it up. I actually hated it. It only gets the two points for some brief but killer visual effects. Plus there was way too many guy's butts and blue dicks. It almost had a homoerotic vibe.
    Never see the movie "Boewolf", that has to be the most homoerotic computer generated movie ever!

There is a whole 5 minute fighting sequence with the main character fighting a dragon completely naked swinging around all over the place.

20. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    People really seem to focus on Dr. Manhattans blue junk. I was like, "Oh, ok" the first time than maintained eye contact the rest of the movie.
    I will hold up my hand in front of my face to shield myself if I ever see it.

Last edited by sneakers; 03-09-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

Ftr, as illustrated by Sneakers pic, Manhattan's dong was much larger in the movie. I was totally disappointed in how they strayed from Gibbons' art.

SHORYUKEN!

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

I saw it last night with a buddy of mine. Loved it. I had never read the comic so I had no freaking idea what I was in for. I'm the type of movie goer that doesn't buy into pre-release hype and early reviews. I go to the theatre, let the movie experience take place and then pass judgement. This flick has a lot of things going for it as far as I'm concerned:
    1) Character Development: What a lot of ADD movie fans nowadays call slow parts. This movie did a great job on the backgrounds of the main characters and overall story. It took the time it needed and it paid off in the end.
    2) Story: I've never seen anything quite like it so it ws a welcome surprise. A lot of moviegoers out there are easily lost when a film veers off the unbeaten path and as a result start throwing tomatoes. All part of that instant gratifiction/not leaving my comfort zone thing. This flick is definitely outside the box.
    3) Violence: If you are the least bit squeamish, stay the hell away from this flick...;-) If you thought 300 was violent, Watchmen makes it look like the Teletubbies.
    4) Visuals: In a word...Amazing.

Overall, I have to say this is one of the more original, thought provoking movies I have seen in years. I really enjoyed the experience and I plan on seeing it again in the theatre.
    Last edited by EastCoastBronco; 03-12-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    "Chickens are dope..." - Von Miller

24. The Following User High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Man, I really hope I get a chance to go see this while its in the theater.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Ok I saw it twice yesterday. The reason was because I actually fell asleep the first time. I saw two other films yesterday (I Love You Man & Duplicity) and didn't fall asleep on them. When I first saw Watchmen, I was so bored. But I thought that maybe it was because I was going on 5 hours sleep and it followed two awesome previews for Terminator and Star Trek. Something told me I should give it another chance. While it was better the second time around, it was still a below average flick. Out of 10, I gave it a 3.

- Even though it was in an alternate 1980, the score of the film didn't make it feel that way.
    - Forget cowbell, we need more penis and ass shots. For those of you who have ever watched those late night skin flicks on Cinemax, those movies have less nudity and sex than this film. Highly unnessesary.
    - I was waiting for a sticky money shot in the sex scenes.
    - Everytime I saw Nite Owl's hairstyle, I thought Andy Kaufman.
    - The actor who played Rorschach was much better without the mask.
    - According to a friend of mine, Rorschach's mask was done totally wrong and didn't morph to fit his moods
    - Mars shots - awesome / Dr. Manhattan reminded me of Martian Manhunter, which I think was the inspiration when he was created in the comic.

This movie isn't so bad where I won't watch it again a third time to give it a shot. But it ranks as one of the worst superhero movies in the last 10 years. I'm pissed because the only thing that was done incredibly well, which was making me feel for the characters and their story, was completely wasted by everything outside of it.

2/10 changed to 3/10 the second time.

27. The Following User High Fived Devilspawn For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information