Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HDMI on a laptop

Default HDMI on a laptop

I bought an ASUS laptop a few months back that has an HDMI port.

Last night I tried hooking it up to one of the TVs in the house and nothing happens. I was hoping to be able to watch torrents that i have downloaded instead of burning dvds or moving the files to a usb flash drive and watching them through my xbox.

Any advice?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Did you change the output to send it to the television?

I'm don't know at all the technical jargon, but usually, you have to select it like a separate monitor. On my laptop it's an "fn" key that looks like a computer monitor. Press the "fn" key, and the key with a corresponding computer monitor and it should switch the output.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

F8 has a picture of a TV/monitor on it. I will try that when I get home. Thanks NTL.

I'm not to up on this kind of thing Slick. I wish I could help. I hate to think of you being inconvenienced and uncomfortable.

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

Normally fn+f4, but if you say f8, its prob fn+f8

You can always go into your graphics properties and extend or clone your desktop.

SHORYUKEN!

7. The Following User High Fived Zweems56 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zweems56 View Post
    Normally fn+f4, but if you say f8, its prob fn+f8

You can always go into your graphics properties and extend or clone your desktop.
    Had you not told me to press the fn and the f8 I wouldn't have known to do that. This is the first laptop I've ever had. Thanks Zweems.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Slick, did you get it working?

Is it running windows 7?

You should be able to do what Zweems said, or Windows 7 will handle it for you if use the windows key + P it brings up a little gui to help you chose your display source.

10. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

NTL nailed it. You have to use the FN key + one of the f# buttons. Whichever one has a monitor looking thing on it, normally a roundish monitor looking thing with vertical lines on either side of it. Most times it's also in blue to show that is what happens when pressed with the FN button.

The video card is only capable of output to one port at a time (some can do two, the screen and a VGA out for a projector).

12. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

The other thing is the tv. I can run my laptops on 2 of the tv's in my house with HDMI input, but I have another that is older and wont support date from a laptop. If the tv is a few years old...it may be an issue there as well.

I'd be way behind on SoA, Walking Dead, American Horror Story, etc if it wasnt for HDMI. Saves me a large cable/DVR bill

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

It came with windows 7 but I installed Ubuntu 11.10 because I don't really like Windows. I can switch back and forth as I set it to dual boot. I won't be able to try until I get home.

Thanks a lot guys. All I did last night was connect the HDMI cable, I didn't realize it required the function f8 to make it work. I'll report back later.

16. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    It came with windows 7 but I installed Ubuntu 11.10 because I don't really like Windows. I can switch back and forth as I set it to dual boot. I won't be able to try until I get home.

Thanks a lot guys. All I did last night was connect the HDMI cable, I didn't realize it required the function f8 to make it work. I'll report back later.
    Let me know what's going on, or send me a pm or e-mail if you have an issue. Ubuntu can be a different beast since you have to reconfigure X to handle multiple monitors. Do you know what kind of graphics card you have on the laptop?

Works like a champ guys. Thanks a lot!!!

Tinker, even on the Ubuntu side all I had to do was hit the fn-f8 and I'm all good.

I had a client bring me down that ASUS from best buy. Around 400 US$ it's a solid computer. I'd recommend it if you're in the market and on a budget.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

19. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

I've never had to use the fn keys. I just plug the HDMI cable from the computer to the TV. Then I hit the "input" feature on my TV until the computer screen shows.
    This space available for lease.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Works like a champ guys. Thanks a lot!!!

Tinker, even on the Ubuntu side all I had to do was hit the fn-f8 and I'm all good.

I had a client bring me down that ASUS from best buy. Around 400 US$ it's a solid computer. I'd recommend it if you're in the market and on a budget.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    Did you pay Mexican customs and duty on that? I'm turning your ass in...

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek "aaarrruuuuuu" Wolfe

Okay, seeing as this thread is about hooking up your computer to the tv, maybe I should ask my question here.
    *Disclaimer*(I know only a little tech jargon)

My laptop has only 3 usb ports and a "5 hole 3 level"? MIDI cable for imput/output. Along with the internet connections, mic and headphone inputs, there is nothing else to connect anything to.
    My TV has for:
    Video 1 - SVideo Video AudioL/R
    Video 2 - Y Pb Pr AudioL/R
    Coaxial

So my question is how would I connect the two? Is it as easy as connecting the Comp USB to one of the video1/2? Do the make connections like that? Never really thought of hooking it to the TV, but after I saw this thread it made me ponder the idea.

Thanks in advance, you damn computer geeks.....

PEACE!!!
    SAKUNA MATATA - Black Forest, CO

^Thanks MasterShake^

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information