Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Computer repair advice needed!!

I know what the problem is, I should now change my question to, "do you have a guesstimate on repairs for this?"

I much prefer MO's MO of repair, but it's not very economical.
    This space available for lease.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    I know what the problem is, I should now change my question to, "do you have a guesstimate on repairs for this?"

I much prefer MO's MO of repair, but it's not very economical.
    A repair place in Spokane told me it would be around $150 to fix mine... same problem.

They're 21 dollars a month if you go through HP. You can't scrounge that up?

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

Midnight's suggestion is great. Find easy step by step directions on the fix and do it yourself. It will be much cheaper and very empowering to do it yourself!
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    They're 21 dollars a month if you go through HP. You can't scrounge that up?
    Not with my credit.

Quote Originally Posted by broncogirl7 View Post
    Midnight's suggestion is great. Find easy step by step directions on the fix and do it yourself. It will be much cheaper and very empowering to do it yourself!
    Yes, I suppose I could. Hmmm I'll have to look into that.

That sucks. I'm sorry Gnomey. They are cute laptops though. I'm mulling over whether or not I should get one. I'll be able to afford one, but it's more of a "want" than a need. They'd be cool to have, but honestly -- it's nothin' different than I have now -- newer stuff, but I haven't ever been on a computer with more than 512 MB of RAM as my own machine, so that'd be cool. Plus, I wouldn't use it to do hardcore stuff. Just would be real nice as a professional movin' forward. Those Netbooks are kewl ideas.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar

Yes, I suppose I could. Hmmm I'll have to look into that.
    The first thing to do is to Google the model numbers on your laptop... chances are that you can find a messageboard or webpage dealing with your particular machine... and can find info on things like how to take the keyboard loose.

From my experience, getting the old part de-soldered and loose from the circuit board was the hardest part. And when I put in the new DC jack, after it was re-soldered, I used my hot glue gun to solidify the new jack onto the board so that it had more than just the new solder supporting it. Another problem I encountered was that the removal of the keyboard disconnected both the keyboard and the mousepad... space can be kind of tight for re-connecting the "ribbons" and you may need some long tweezers to do it.

I'd have to buy a soldering iron, then buy the part, and then not screw it all up. I think it would be more cost effective for me for someone else to do it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar

I'd have to buy a soldering iron, then buy the part, and then not screw it all up. I think it would be more cost effective for me for someone else to do it.
    It can be kinda intimidating taking it all apart...and with small children in the house, those soldering irons get very, very hot.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

You can find someone that solders electrical stuff in your area, that's your best bet. Laptops can be a pain to get apart without breaking something on the case.

I think the idea of sending it to someone sucks from my point of view unless you take out the hard drive first, otherwise they have your data to look at and it may get lost or destroyed. Save it or keep the hard drive if you send it out.

If you pay the shipping and send me the part I'll fix it for you if it can be fixed. Sometimes the motherboard can be broken where the part solders on at. PM me if you want.
    Merry.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It can be kinda intimidating taking it all apart...and with small children in the house, those soldering irons get very, very hot.
    It's just going to have to be done by someone else. At least if they screw it up, I'm not out any more money.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information