Poll: Who is your all-time fave “Outlaw” sports figure?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who is your all-time fave “Outlaw” sports figure?

Default Who is your all-time fave “Outlaw” sports figure?

Yeah, we all know that sports stars should set a good example for the kiddies. But, at the same time, we allow the kiddies to emulate bad guys in the movies and—more recently—video games.

And while crime may not pay in real life, how many secretly reveled in the misadventures of Bonnie and Clyde or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, secretly wishing that crime WOULD “pay” out in the end?

While Hopalong Cassidy and Roy Rogers were the perennial “good guys” (you could tell by the white hats and cleanly shaven faces), was it Clint Eastwood who ushered in the era of the antihero?

Okay, so you don’t like any of these guys in this starter poll?! No one here you even love to hate?

Well, write in your candidate, my man, my lady! And tell us why. I’d give out CP’s to the best responses, but we don’t have such a thing in this new land… so we’ll just have to leave it up to the final votes!

Again, what I’ve tossed out as potential candidates is just a ”starter poll,” barely scratching the surface in terms of renegade sports stars/outlaws out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Yeah, we all know that sports stars should set a good example for the kiddies. But, at the same time, we allow the kiddies to emulate bad guys in the movies and—more recently—video games.

And while crime may not pay in real life, how many secretly reveled in the misadventures of Bonnie and Clyde or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, secretly wishing that crime WOULD “pay” out in the end?

While Hopalong Cassidy and Roy Rogers were the perennial “good guys” (you could tell by the white hats and cleanly shaven faces), was it Clint Eastwood who ushered in the era of the antihero?

Okay, so you don’t like any of these guys in this starter poll?! No one here you even love to hate?

Well, write in your candidate, my man, my lady! And tell us why. I’d give out CP’s to the best responses, but we don’t have such a thing in this new land… so we’ll just have to leave it up to the final votes!

Again, what I’ve tossed out as potential candidates is just a ”starter poll,” barely scratching the surface in terms of renegade sports stars/outlaws out there!

As a lifelong hockey fan how about my favorite agitator in Hartford

Kevin Dineen. He could carve you with his stick but was a joy to watch, especially on my team

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    As a lifelong hockey fan how about my favorite agitator in Hartford

Kevin Dineen. He could carve you with his stick but was a joy to watch, especially on my team
    Dang, nephew, I left out hockey! Lordie, hockey alone could dominate the list of renegades!

BTW, how are those Bruins doing lately?

Dang, nephew, I left out hockey! Lordie, hockey alone could dominate the list of renegades!

BTW, how are those Bruins doing lately?
    They got smoked tonight but my Canes (the former Hartford Whalers) won 4-1 over
    a very good Penguins team

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

geez, not even close. . . .

"i am the greatest fighter of all tiiiiiime!"

with apologies to my girl tanya. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    geez, not even close. . . .

"i am the greatest fighter of all tiiiiiime!"

Good choice, sir!

BTW, can anyone spot the blooper in this picture?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I voted "other" and my vote is Charles Barkley. "I am not a role model". Either that, or Claude Lemuix (sp?). That guy could use the glass/boards to rearrange someone's face (Kris Draper) like you would not believe!
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I voted "other" and my vote is Charles Barkley. "I am not a role model". Either that, or Claude Lemuix (sp?). That guy could use the glass/boards to rearrange someone's face (Kris Draper) like you would not believe!
    Don't know how I could have overlooked Claude Lemieux!? Thanks for the reminder!

I nominate Chris Henry. The man is on his way to the "outlaw" hall of fame for sports figures. Rumor has it that he has been working hard on his "rob tha bank" technique. He also has decided to only wear Chad Johnson jerseys when he runs away from the police.

Gotta go with dogfish and Muhammad Ali....

The man had charisma, ability, and a mouth on him. One of my favorite quotes by Muhammad... "My toughest fight was with my first wife." -Ali

I'm surprised you have him listed as Cassius Clay though UncleBuck. Ali always felt that was the biggest insult you could throw his way :P .
    Temp sig till I find another one

Quote Originally Posted by BigBroncLove View Post
    Gotta go with dogfish and Muhammad Ali....

The man had charisma, ability, and a mouth on him. One of my favorite quotes by Muhammad... "My toughest fight was with my first wife." -Ali

I'm surprised you have him listed as Cassius Clay though UncleBuck. Ali always felt that was the biggest insult you could throw his way :P .
    Yeah, BBL, I'm goin' with you and DF. Muhammad Ali was the "Greatest!" Sorry, no intent to diss Ali, re his given name, Cassius Clay. I knew him as that back in the day when he set the world of boxing upside down. It was a few years later when he became a Muslim and changed his name. It had never occured to me that he considered it an insult to refer to him as the name with which he initially achieved boxing fame.

"Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!"

Yeah, BBL, I'm goin' with you and DF. Muhammad Ali was the "Greatest!" Sorry, no intent to diss Ali, re his given name, Cassius Clay. I knew him as that back in the day when he set the world of boxing upside down. It was a few years later when he became a Muslim and changed his name. It had never occured to me that he considered it an insult to refer to him as the name with which he initially achieved boxing fame.

Yes, my mother met him a long time ago, and they liked each other a lot. At the time Ali refused to give autographs because he had grown tired of it, but when he met my mom, he said, "I don't do this anymroe, because I'm just to pretty, but I'd like to give you an autograph". My mother unfortuantely declined, saying meeting him was enough. She always says he was the nicest celebrity she veer met, and she met a lot .

The reason Ali hated his original name, was how he viewed the name Cassius Clay. In what was the muslim party he joined in America back then, their original names were considered their "slave names". Names passed on to them by their slave owners from long long ago, which is why they all changed their names. When Ali was insulting Joe Fraizer (one of my favorite boxers) all over the media, Joe knew that calling him Cassius would anger Ali so he went out of his way to do it .
    Temp sig till I find another one

I watched a special on him on ESPN I think and he very much hated that name. Some boxer kept calling him Cassius Clay and refused to call him Muhammad Ali. Ali basically didn't knock the guy out on purpose and kept hitting him him in the face screaming WHATS MY NAME, WHATS MY NAME. Yeah, no one ever did that again...

Adopted Bronco:
    #88 Tony Scheffler

I voted for Romo. I mean he was one tought SOB and nobody wanted to see this guy on the other side of the ball. Depite some of the things he did while he was playing he is still one of my favorites. Man could that guy hit.
    2007-08 MVP

Thanks MasterShake for the sig

On Brandon Marshall
    "I'm not going to ever let him settle. I'm going to stay on him to be the best he can." ~ Rod Smith

Other - None of the Above and no write-in.

I do not like "Outlaw" individuals. I do not like punks. I loathe punks.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information