Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: The Detroit Lions Defensive Line

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    tard.....do u think the lions are who we think they are?

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    That's exactly where i was going when I posted that.

Glad you picked up on it

Quote Originally Posted by hoptard View Post
    where's hillis when you need him?
    I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU!!

detroit runs the spread
    No they don't.

They operate out of the shot-gun a lot as do the Patriots and a bunch of other teams. That is NOT the "spread offense."

I'm talking about the Urban Meyer college spread offense where the QB lines up in the shotgun with 3-4 wide-outs and no RBs and runs the pass/run option as their base offense.

That will never happen in the NFL.

Can they put Tebow in the shot-gun some of the time? Sure. They did last game. It didn't work because Tebow kept missing wide open WRs and holding onto the ball and taking sacks and running with the ball instead of throwing it.

But, as John Fox said to a reporter who asked him this very question: "Well, if you looked at the film we instituted a bunch of plays where Tim lined up in the shot-gun."

Actually they do run a form of spread.

Notice I never said shotgun, every team runs the shotty at points in time. I am aware that shotty is not spread.

And Dets spread is the closest thing to spread seen in college and if I am not mistaken its also pretty similar to what stafford ran in college too. But since I do not watch college I have no actual idea as to what he really ran.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    One of two points, first and foremost of which is that the shotgun is not a spread formation. The shotgun evolved from the single wing back in 1930's, and was first used in the NFL sparingly, then most notably by the New York Jet's in the 70's with Joe Namath. In 1975 Tom Landry devised an offensive scheme along with Jim Myers that he felt could counter his own innovative 4-3 defense, the basis of that offense was the precursor to the modern day shotgun formation. Few teams used the shotgun during the 80's, but with the pass happiness of the 90's, the shotgun formation exploded back onto the scene and was implemented in almost every known professional offense.

The shotgun formation is rather new to the spread offensive systems, because for one the spread option offense or spread offense itself is rather new, but it wasn't until the changes of the current decade that the spread offenses both at the collegiate and professional level began to utilize the shotgun formation.

Currently there are six different pro-spread offenses; the Erhardt-Perkins, Martz Spread, Air-Earhardt, Weiss Spread, Wild Cat and of course the Pistol.

As to the whole McCoy comment, I was trying to explain that it's hard enough to be a moderately good offensive coordinator, and implementing the different aspects of various offenses already utilized in the NFL, without trying to learn a collegiate based offenses and adding them to your own system or even devising a whole new system.
    Nice explanation. Most fans wrongly equate the shot-gun with the spread offense. Not at all the same.

The Broncos will line up Tebow in the shot-gun plenty. They will NOT institute the Florida Gators offense in the NFL. For obvious reasons.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Actually they do run a form of spread.

Notice I never said shotgun, every team runs the shotty at points in time. I am aware that shotty is not spread.

And Dets spread is the closest thing to spread seen in college and if I am not mistaken its also pretty similar to what stafford ran in college too. But since I do not watch college I have no actual idea as to what he really ran.
    Detroit did use to run the Wild-cat a bit, but it was more of a gimmick than anything else. And now they're paying their QB a $72 million contract with $41.75 million guaranteed, I don't think they really want to run Stafford all that much.

I haven't seen them do that at all this year, but I haven't watched all of their games.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Looks like I wasn't right. That wasn't pretty to watch.
    In Elway We Trust

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information