Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Asante Samuel, Peyton Hillis could be available..

Default Asante Samuel, Peyton Hillis could be available..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-be-available/

Jason La Canfora of NFL.com reports that the Eagles have made it known Asante Samuel is available. Samuel was also available in August, and no deal happened.

The report indicates the Eagles are looking for veteran defensive players in the front seven rather than draft picks.

Would any be in favor of trading DJ Williams and Brian Dawkins over to Philly for Asante? I like the play of Wood and wouldn't mind seeing Carter step in for Dawkins. I know Asante is getting up there in age but I do think he's an upgrade over Goodman.

Dawkins has NO trade value to the Eagles. None.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

I like Asante, but you can't pay 2 older corners that much money while you are trying to rebuild. Bdawk comes off of the books next season, and DJ is solid although not spectacular.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Dawkins has NO trade value to the Eagles. None.
    A defense with a ton of talent and no leader to pull it together and keep everyone on the same page? I disagree Rav.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Dawkins is not going anywhere he is 39 come on who wants someone who is his last season every season. DJ maybe but they need a middle LB most. Samuel is 30 BTW, not too old for a corner but not young either.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

If we were 2-3 or 3-2, then absolutely. But we're not. We aren't going to trade for players to make a push.

8. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Peyton Hillis is available? But he's so good! How could two NFL head coaches be moronic enough to trade the guy?

I would be more interested in Rodgers-Cromartie than Asante Samuel.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by JONtheBRONCO View Post
    Would any be in favor of trading DJ Williams and Brian Dawkins over to Philly for Asante? I like the play of Wood and wouldn't mind seeing Carter step in for Dawkins. I know Asante is getting up there in age but I do think he's an upgrade over Goodman.
    absolutely not! his salary is ridiculous, he's horribly one-dimensional, and he's getting old. . .

if they want dawk and DJ, let 'em send us a decent draft pick or two, not a salary dump. . .

with zero offense intended to jon, people need to get over the idea that we can rebuild with guys in their 30's. . . rebuilding happens with young guys, it's the only way it works. . .

i would happily give a reasonable draft pick or eddie royal for hillis. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    Peyton Hillis is available? But he's so good! How could two NFL head coaches be moronic enough to trade the guy?
    You didn't even read the link. He is speculating based on the team saying that he isn't available...

Quote Originally Posted by jhns View Post
    You didn't even read the link. He is speculating based on the team saying that he isn't available...

Adopted Bronco:

The only long term value Hillis has is as a 10-12 carry back. His style just doesnt allow him 20+ carries year after year. He'll be injured on a regular basis.

Until we have a dynamic 18-25 carry back, there is no need for Hillis.

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Quote Originally Posted by vandammage13 View Post
    I would be more interested in Rodgers-Cromartie than Asante Samuel.
    I say pass on both. One is on the downside of his career and we're in a major rebuild. Is been said that Cromartie doesn't like to tackle. If true, we don't need that since we already have enough of those guys already.

16. The Following User High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Beer Girl

Fact is..

Payton is all used up. I wouldn't go near him now, after Cleveland ran him till his wheels fell off.. And as for Asante, why would Denver go near him if we aren't contending for a Playoff spot, Asante would be insurance for those air shows we may experience in San Diego. That is not needed, and the Broncos unloading anything but overpaid veterans may be the real answer to helping re-mold the team, and giving us some "Identity".
    No Guts, No Glory

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Tebow is a virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by hoptard View Post
    absolutely not! his salary is ridiculous, he's horribly one-dimensional, and he's getting old. . .

if they want dawk and DJ, let 'em send us a decent draft pick or two, not a salary dump. . .

i would happily give a reasonable draft pick or eddie royal for hillis. . .
    Typical fan think.

DJ Williams has virtually zero value. Brian Dawkins is in his last season and has zero value. Eddie Royal is often injured, little used and has virtually zero value.

Nobody wants to pay the Broncos anything for these players. You can find better players that them in FA or off the waiver wire.

You've got to stop thinking that anybody wants the Broncos cast-offs. If they're not welcome here, why would anybody else want them? Dawkins was too old for the Eagles 3 years ago and was released because he was a liability in coverage. He hasn't gotten younger since then.

The same lack of play that has DJ on the chopping block means other teams don't want him either. Perhaps he'll find a team to come in and compete for a job. But nobody wants to give up anything for him. Maybe a 7th rounder.

But, I doubt even that. Most likely the failure to trade him was due to complete and total lack of interest.

Teams were'nt' willing to take on Orton's salary either and he was by far the most marketable Bronco outside of Brandon Lloyd (who was only worth a 6th rounder).

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information