Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball is dead

Adopted Bronco:

Default Baseball is dead

Baseball has forever been my favorite sport. it's what I did as a kid and what I always loved most. It's what got me into college and what almost became my profession. When I was married, I would even often joke that I was married to baseball and had a wife on the side.

However...all that has changed. Over the past few weeks, we've seen the New York Yankees prove that they have a complete monopoly on the baseball world. NO ONE...not even the Red Sox can compete with the financial power that the Yankees have.

Today the Yankees signed slugger Mark Teixiera to a contract valued at more than 170 million dollars. That puts their current off-season spending in the range of a HALF OF A BILLION DOLLARS. There is no team in major league baseball that can come close to matching that kind of money.

The Yankees have made a mockery of this beloved game and the powers of Major League Baseball have done nothing but sit back and allow it to happen. It has become apparent that no one seems to care about the fans of this game, so as of today, they have lost one fan after 30 years

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

That sucks coach. I feel your pain.

I'll still watch, myself, but the Yankees spending spree this year is a little ridiculous.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

3. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Baseball has forever been my favorite sport. it's what I did as a kid and what I always loved most. It's what got me into college and what almost became my profession. When I was married, I would even often joke that I was married to baseball and had a wife on the side.

However...all that has changed. Over the past few weeks, we've seen the New York Yankees prove that they have a complete monopoly on the baseball world. NO ONE...not even the Red Sox can compete with the financial power that the Yankees have.

Today the Yankees signed slugger Mark Teixiera to a contract valued at more than 170 million dollars. That puts their current off-season spending in the range of a HALF OF A BILLION DOLLARS. There is no team in major league baseball that can come close to matching that kind of money.

The Yankees have made a mockery of this beloved game and the powers of Major League Baseball have done nothing but sit back and allow it to happen. It has become apparent that no one seems to care about the fans of this game, so as of today, they have lost one fan after 30 years
    At least you can still play...No one can buy that away from you...

Baseball has been a COMPLETE joke since the mid 80's...Nothing new to me. Yanks always do this. and have been losing for how many years now?

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived Benetto For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

I can't wait to see what my dad says...He's a die hard Sox fan....Xmas will not be cool this year when baseball trade conversations come up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

My daughter quipped one time, "They ought to have two baseball leagues.
    One for the Yankees and Red Sox and the other for the rest of the league."

I was once a big fan, too, mostly of the Cubs. But the Yankees have ruined
    it for me, absolutely, on the pro level. I might go back to attending a
    college or high school game once in a while. Actually, those are a lot of fun.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I will ALWAYS love the game, but the MLB has lost me. Peter Angelos has destroyed my team, which was once a proud organization and Steinbrenner and Henry have cemented the fact that any other team pretty much has to grow their own talent and hope for the best.

I know all these big players dont automatically mean success for the Yankees, but it's hard to exclude them right now. What it comes down to is hoping that a few players get injured or have a bad year and I hate doing that.

There will always be a surprise like the Rays, but any time that happens, you can count on the Yanks and Sox immediately opening up the checkbook to ensure it doesnt happen again.

It's going to be really hard to beat a lineup and rotation that the Yanks have put together...and the FA period isnt over.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Wait until they sign Manny to make it a clean sweep.

Screw the MLB. My wish is that every single fan walks out on their sham of a professional sport.
    2012: The Year that Mo Got Laid

12. The Following User High Fived Rex For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

I will ALWAYS love the game, but the MLB has lost me. Peter Angelos has destroyed my team, which was once a proud organization and Steinbrenner and Henry have cemented the fact that any other team pretty much has to grow their own talent and hope for the best.

I know all these big players dont automatically mean success for the Yankees, but it's hard to exclude them right now. What it comes down to is hoping that a few players get injured or have a bad year and I hate doing that.

There will always be a surprise like the Rays, but any time that happens, you can count on the Yanks and Sox immediately opening up the checkbook to ensure it doesnt happen again.

It's going to be really hard to beat a lineup and rotation that the Yanks have put together...and the FA period isnt over.
    Do you think people should just boycott the pro game until they come up
    with some kind of cap or something? I know, that's not likely, but . . .

-----

I'm a Yankees fan and even I'm getting tired of everything thier doing this year.
    I like watching our homegrown players a lot more then all the players we sign for millions of dollars.
    I enjoy watching players like .. Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, Cano, Melky, Gardner, Joba, Hughes, Mo, etc...

And I wouldn't have minded getting either CC, Burnett, or Tex. But Damn.. All 3?
    I mean.. I want to make the playoffs and win the world series every year of course but damn.. I hate spending all kinds of money.
    It would be much more fun winning it all with all our homegrown players rather then having an allstar lineup.
    I guess we miss the playoffs so we panic and spend money on everyone.
    oh well.

And who knows if we Get Manny or not. I actually do want Manny just to see him go against Boston every year.

But damn... It sure is getting crazy.

Thats why football is my favorite sport.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Of course, when they have the highest payroll in baseball every year and cant win, it is quite enjoyable for everyone watching.

What a complete joke.

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived Rex For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

No one will eer truly boycott the game of baseball...especially after this. There are more Yankkes fans in the world than there are Cowboys fans. It's obvious why, but because of that, they will always be there.

Just go to a game in your hometown when the Yankees are there and tell me the stadium doesnt have just as many Yanks fans as your team in attendance.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by cswil View Post
    Of course, when they have the highest payroll in baseball every year and cant win, it is quite enjoyable for everyone watching.

What a complete joke.
    I agree, but look at my situation as an Orioles fan. We cant even convince a free agent to talk to us or keep our homegrown FA's because we simply cant compete with the Yankees and Red Sox and their spending. Who wants to play for a team that has to compete with them every year? The Rays had a fluke year, but other than that, the O's Jays and Rays should request a move to a different division.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

I agree, but look at my situation as an Orioles fan. We cant even convince a free agent to talk to us or keep our homegrown FA's because we simply cant compete with the Yankees and Red Sox and their spending. Who wants to play for a team that has to compete with them every year? The Rays had a fluke year, but other than that, the O's Jays and Rays should request a move to a different division.
    Now try being a Royals fan. They cant even compete for Furcal, let alone a top flight FA.

22. The Following User High Fived Rex For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

All I know is that I was through with pro baseball even before reading Coach's
    post, and this is the main reason. And, just as he, I was a rabid fan . . .

-----

24. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by cswil View Post
    Now try being a Royals fan. They cant even compete for Furcal, let alone a top flight FA.
    Well, the only reason the O's were even mentioned in the Teixiera blitx is because it's his hometown. I'd prefer to sign other guys than to give anyone 20 million a year, but that's the bar the Yanks and Sox have set.

Cesar Izturis is our big signing this year...woohoo

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information