Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball is dead

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by studbucket View Post
    I agree with the sentiments. Baseball was what I loved through Middle and High School. I loved pitching, I loved fielding and playing first base. I loved the hit and runs and the sac bunts. If I wouldn't have threw out my arm (and my rotator cuff) I would have played college ball.

Despite all that, I find myself caring less and less for the MLB every year. It was just 7 years ago I would stay up late every night to catch Baseball Tonight, enjoying every minute of it. Now I never update my fantasy baseball teams and finish last every year. I was thrilled that the Brewers even got a playoff spot, but I don't even pretend to think that they will get one this year.

All-in-all, MLB sucks, and I'd almost rather watch the NBA...which is pretty damning.
    I was there with you man. It's been a tradition for me to take the day off on opening day every year to either attend the game or sit at home and watch all the games on tv. The phrase "Pitchers and Catchers report" use to give me chills of anticipation.

I still love baseball and I'll still love my Orioles and my Phillies...but it's just ridiculous anymore. Major League Baseball is to blame as much as anyone. Selig and his henchmen have no balls. There will never be a cap because they have already let it get to far out of hand.

2. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Baseball has forever been my favorite sport. it's what I did as a kid and what I always loved most. It's what got me into college and what almost became my profession. When I was married, I would even often joke that I was married to baseball and had a wife on the side.

However...all that has changed. Over the past few weeks, we've seen the New York Yankees prove that they have a complete monopoly on the baseball world. NO ONE...not even the Red Sox can compete with the financial power that the Yankees have.

Today the Yankees signed slugger Mark Teixiera to a contract valued at more than 170 million dollars. That puts their current off-season spending in the range of a HALF OF A BILLION DOLLARS. There is no team in major league baseball that can come close to matching that kind of money.

The Yankees have made a mockery of this beloved game and the powers of Major League Baseball have done nothing but sit back and allow it to happen. It has become apparent that no one seems to care about the fans of this game, so as of today, they have lost one fan after 30 years
    Just even more reason.....as if I needed any more..........to root against the yankees.

I'm sticking with my Pirates............go Bucs'.........
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team that plays Michigan
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates
    5.Oklahoma Lady Sooners Basketball Team

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

4. The Following User High Fived broncophan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I was thrilled that the Brewers even got a playoff spot, but I don't even pretend to think that they will get one this year.

6. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    I grew up a Phillies and Orioles fan. The 83 World Series was the only time there was a conflict, but I was thrilled to see Philly win it this year. But Baltimore...they've had 11 straight losing seasons. I have no aspirations of seeing them in the playoffs any time soon.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I agree, but look at my situation as an Orioles fan. We cant even convince a free agent to talk to us or keep our homegrown FA's because we simply cant compete with the Yankees and Red Sox and their spending. Who wants to play for a team that has to compete with them every year? The Rays had a fluke year, but other than that, the O's Jays and Rays should request a move to a different division.

My wife and i were talking about this last night. Orioles cant do anything to come close to getting quality players to come here. Angelos is a punk. I dont even like Baseball but its just amazing that the guy wont make an extra effort to get some talent in here unless they are washed up (Sosa, etc). And as you said, anyone that is good takes it elsewhere to teams that can actually compete for a ring.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Alex Rodriguez makes more money in one year than all the other Rodriguezes in the whole United States.

Man, i laughed so hard everybody in the room starting looking at me. That was good. haha

10. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    My wife and i were talking about this last night. Orioles cant do anything to come close to getting quality players to come here. Angelos is a punk. I dont even like Baseball but its just amazing that the guy wont make an extra effort to get some talent in here unless they are washed up (Sosa, etc). And as you said, anyone that is good takes it elsewhere to teams that can actually compete for a ring.
    Angelos has tarnished the reputation of the Orioles beyond repair. Every year for Christmas I ask Santa Claus for his death.

12. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Angelos has tarnished the reputation of the Orioles beyond repair. Every year for Christmas I ask Santa Claus for his death.
    I think Raider fans do the same for Davis.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

We need to combine Tampa Bay, Toronto, and Baltimore into one superteam to beat the Yankees and Red Sox.

We can call them the "Baltimore Devil Jays".
    And their payrolls and all-star appearances STILL wouldn't amount to waht the Red Sox and Yankees pay for.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

15. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

I feel the same way CoachChaz. I grew up loving baseball, like you -- that is what I did. I was good at what I did. I wasn't the best hitter, but I was a defensive gem and could play anywhere and everywhere. I loved the game, but it started to go away (for some personal reasons) and the fact of how ridiculous it was getting.

I had two cousins in the Yankees farm system and they were pitchers. They were awesome, but they decided to go their own separate ways from baseball -- for various reasons. How baseball was getting was one of them. I used to think baseball was the purest sport left. It's not. What a joke.

I hate the Yankees. I'm going to take pleasuring in seeing them fall flat on their faces this year.

I'm a big Mariners fan -- and they had a pretty large payroll -- but what the Yankees have done in the past few weeks is ridiculous.

I can't wait to see the Twins mop ass this year with the payroll they have. They play real baseball.

I can't see how anyone can like the Yankees, honestly. Evil Empire.

Sorry Keith.

17. The Following User High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

We need to combine Tampa Bay, Toronto, and Baltimore into one superteam to beat the Yankees and Red Sox.

We can call them the "Baltimore Devil Jays".
    I've maintained the though for the last few years that I would do 3 things if I was MLB commish:

1) Create a salary cap
    2) Abolish the DH rule (or make it league-wide. I want uniformity)
    3) Contract 2-4 teams (Florida teams, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Washington, etc)

MoBronc really disagrees with me on the contraction thing, but the league is flooded with no talent pitching and it would definitely be fun to have more talent throughout the league by removing 4 teams and placing all of their talent on the market.
    "You do not mess with Pat Bowlen, and you definitely do not ignore him''

Link to quote

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I've maintained the though for the last few years that I would do 3 things if I was MLB commish:

1) Create a salary cap
    2) Abolish the DH rule (or make it league-wide. I want uniformity)
    3) Contract 2-4 teams (Florida teams, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Washington, etc)

MoBronc really disagrees with me on the contraction thing, but the league is flooded with no talent pitching and it would definitely be fun to have more talent throughout the league by removing 4 teams and placing all of their talent on the market.
    Salary cap would redistribute the pitching...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Salary cap would redistribute the pitching...
    Redistribution does not remove the lame #4 and 5 pitchers we have. You still have Kevin Correia, Josh Fogg, and Tom Gorzellany starting a combined 54 games for an average ERA of 6.80.

We don't need to shuffle the cards, we need to remove them.
    "You do not mess with Pat Bowlen, and you definitely do not ignore him''

Link to quote

Adopted Bronco:

Yeah, the total teams isnt the issue...as long as no more are added. But if you had a salary cap, then the Mets, Yankees and Sox wouldnt have the rotations/bullpens they have.

Adopted Bronco:

Redistribution does not remove the lame #4 and 5 pitchers we have. You still have Kevin Correia, Josh Fogg, and Tom Gorzellany starting a combined 54 games for an average ERA of 6.80.

We don't need to shuffle the cards, we need to remove them.
    You'll have that anyway. If you were to set up MLB so that every team had 5 stud pitchers, you'd only have about 12 teams and no need for a farm system.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information