Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nut's economical and nutritional lunchtime thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
    I love feta. I put that on pitas instead of other cheese. I also use spinach instead of lettuce.
    In Minot, they had the PitaPit and the Philly Steak&Cheese was awesome. If I still lived in Wa State, I'd get an extra large JambaJuice with boosters in them for lunch.

I usually make a turkey or roast beef sandwich with lettuce, celery sticks with peanut butter, a yogurt and fruit with water or a Coke for some caffeine after lunch. I'm not much of a fast food person though I do like Popeyes or Carl's Jr when I do.

2. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

I love feta. I put that on pitas instead of other cheese. I also use spinach instead of lettuce.
    that's actually a great sandwich alternative-- pita with hummus, feta, olives, spinach salad with cucumber and tomatoes. . . maybe some capers and walnuts. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    In Minot, they had the PitaPit and the Philly Steak&Cheese was awesome. If I still lived in Wa State, I'd get an extra large JambaJuice with boosters in them for lunch.

I usually make a turkey or roast beef sandwich with lettuce, celery sticks with peanut butter, a yogurt and fruit with water or a Coke for some caffeine after lunch. I'm not much of a fast food person though I do like Popeyes or Carl's Jr when I do.
    I have never heard of the PitaPit until I moved here. I love that place.
    This space available for lease.

Quote Originally Posted by hoptard View Post
    that's actually a great sandwich alternative-- pita with hummus, feta, olives, spinach salad with cucumber and tomatoes. . . maybe some capers and walnuts. . .
    I hardly ever put condiments or sauces on anything. When trying to eat healthy, those seem like empty calories.

I've been curious about hummus, but a little wary of trying it. What is it made of?

Avocado is also excellent in pitas and salads.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I have never heard of the PitaPit until I moved here. I love that place.
    You ever been to JambaJuice they had one in Puyallup and one in Woodinville......I love it. I would rather drink that than coffee (Starbucks) anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You ever been to JambaJuice they had one in Puyallup and one in Woodinville......I love it. I would rather drink that than coffee (Starbucks) anyday.
    I am also a big fan of Jamba Juice. There isn't any on the island, but when I go to Burlington/Mt. Vernon, I almost always go there.

Adopted Bronco:

I hardly ever put condiments or sauces on anything. When trying to eat healthy, those seem like empty calories.

I've been curious about hummus, but a little wary of trying it. What is it made of?

Avocado is also excellent in pitas and salads.
    it's chickpeas with lemon juice, tahini, garlic and olive oil. . .

empty calories? more like fat-free protein and fiber with lots of digestive enzymes. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

9. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

empty calories? more like fat-free protein and fiber with lots of digestive enzymes. . .
    Hummus, yes. I was talking about salad dressings, oils, mayo, things like that. I would not consider hummus a condiment.
    Last edited by gnomeflinger; 10-12-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: forgot an important word - not

Adopted Bronco:

so, nut, how's this going?
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Here's the dilemma. If you make your work lunch in a microwave, especially soup, then you are probably getting little-to-no nutritional value out of it. Microwaves kill nutrients.

I eat out for pretty much every single meal, so I have no tips on being economical. Unless you want to come to $5 Fajita Thursdays at Brandon's with us.
    One of the ladies in my office regularly microwaves codfish or some damned thing in the microwave. You can even warm up a cup of coffee without it coming out fishy tasting. Not good.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

And freakin' delicious. I am pissed that it took me 50 years before I tried it. And yes, its possible to eat Hummus with Pita chips without turning into a dirty Hippie.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    One of the ladies in my office regularly microwaves codfish or some damned thing in the microwave. You can even warm up a cup of coffee without it coming out fishy tasting. Not good.
    Yeah, fish in the microwave at work is a cardinal sin. I don't understand how anyone could be oblivious to that fact. It speaks to their overall character and ability (or lack thereof) to contribute to society in a meaningful way.

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wes Welker

Progresso soups are pretty good. I used to take leftovers much of hte time, but this year have usually around 10-15 minutes for lunch so it is sammiches. Usually coldcuts, cheese and sprouts. Sprouts keep their crunch without refrigeration better than lettuce. I alternate with PBJs. Been working on a gingered pear jam and crunchy PB is quite good. Add a piece of fruit and you are pretty nutritious
    If you ain't having fun, you are doing it wrong

17. The Following User High Fived Ottokar Prohaska For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    That the Cardinal Sin of offices. Not not, EVER, under ANY circumstance heat anything with fish in it. People who do that should be put to death.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ottokar Prohaska View Post
    Progresso soups are pretty good. I used to take leftovers much of hte time, but this year have usually around 10-15 minutes for lunch so it is sammiches. Usually coldcuts, cheese and sprouts. Sprouts keep their crunch without refrigeration better than lettuce. I alternate with PBJs. Been working on a gingered pear jam and crunchy PB is quite good. Add a piece of fruit and you are pretty nutritious
    mmm. do you make jams?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information