Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scholarships & Grants

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Default Scholarships & Grants

Alright all you college students, recently graduated or otherwise knowledgeable in this area, I need your help. Other than the university that I am attending, where else can I look for scholarships and grants to apply for? I'm looking for ones to either cover school and/or living expenses. I know I'm pretty well screwed for the upcoming semester, most likely, but I'd like to get a head start on next year. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

Go to fastweb.com...
    Apply for as many as you can...especially the grants.
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

3. The Following User High Fived broncogirl7 For This Post:

KCL

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

I would start here.
    grants.gov
    Didn't know you were a college student, swore you were older.
    In Elway We Trust

Hey Frau,

Did you do the FAFSA application? That's how I get most of my stuff. I haven't really applied for any outside scholarships. Are there any your specific college or department offers? I'd get in contact with them and check it out too.

I'll try and do a little research as well to help you out in this regard. I've just been fortunate.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    I would start here.
    grants.gov
    Didn't know you were a college student, swore you were older.
    I quit my job and decided to go back to school. So yeah, I'm considerably older than most of my freshman colleagues.

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

My son got one from the college he is attending and also got one called the Bright Flight scholarship.

The school you're attending should also have some you can apply for depending sometimes on your grades.

As BG7 posted...fastweb is a good one!

Good Luck!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Hey Frau,

Did you do the FAFSA application? That's how I get most of my stuff. I haven't really applied for any outside scholarships. Are there any your specific college or department offers? I'd get in contact with them and check it out too.

I'll try and do a little research as well to help you out in this regard. I've just been fortunate.
    Yeah, I did and will be again first thing in Feb. It was enough before but I've just had some circumstances change considerably so now I need to figure things a little differently. I don't want to let it interfere with school or parenting my daughter, so this is a better route than getting a job.

— Marilyn Monroe

9. The Following User High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Hey Frau,

Did you get mostly grants or did you take out loans? I couldn't get crap from Fafsa.
    The best thing would be to go to your financial aid office. They can probably help you out the most.
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

Frau,
    Use the website I gave you. It's free and you fill out your likes, dislikes, interests, grades, ect., and they will match you up with all sorts of scholarships and grants that you can apply for...
    Single mother...yep.
    Woman...yep.
    They even have grants for asthmatics, MS, ect...
    You are going to be really surprised. Some don't have any requirements, others will require an essay. The sky is the limit.
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived broncogirl7 For This Post:

Did you get mostly grants or did you take out loans? I couldn't get crap from Fafsa.
    The best thing would be to go to your financial aid office. They can probably help you out the most.
    My financial aid has been weird. I've gotten grants three years, and loans since Day 1. I also earned about 12,000+ from being a Resident Assistant for two years as well -- and that impacted my aid. I also had some other scholarships too. I've had two work-study jobs too.

I've been very fortunate. I'll take 5 years to get out (two degrees, higher standards) -- and I'll owe hopefully less than 30K. I know kids in their second year who already owe that.

It's just scary.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

I got a Pell Grant, but because I had to apply late, the rest has been in loans. I'm a non-Traditional student so I don't have to count my parent's income, plus I have a dependent, so I pretty well get a decent amount of help.

— Marilyn Monroe

15. The Following User High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

My financial aid has been weird. I've gotten grants three years, and loans since Day 1. I also earned about 12,000+ from being a Resident Assistant for two years as well -- and that impacted my aid. I also had some other scholarships too. I've had two work-study jobs too.

I've been very fortunate. I'll take 5 years to get out (two degrees, higher standards) -- and I'll owe hopefully less than 30K. I know kids in their second year who already owe that.

It's just scary.
    Yes it is very scary.
    That's why I went to a local Tech School despite good academic performance. I figure I can get a job faster and then just get my B.S. through night school.
    Experience is prefered in my field anyway.
    In Elway We Trust

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

If I could do it all again Crazy, I'd of just lived up with my sister in Alexandria and hit up the tech school there in Minnesota and done a two-year program there and transferred or something. Oh well, I gotta sleep in the bed I made. Hope things go well for ya man.

19. The Following User High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    I got a Pell Grant, but because I had to apply late, the rest has been in loans. I'm a non-Traditional student so I don't have to count my parent's income, plus I have a dependent, so I pretty well get a decent amount of help.
    Good for you. Going back to school while raising a child. It's hard. I know people in similar circumstances.
    In Elway We Trust

21. The Following User High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Yes it is very scary.
    That's why I went to a local Tech School despite good academic performance. I figure I can get a job faster and then just get my B.S. through night school.
    Experience is prefered in my field anyway.
    REALLY smart decision!

college is a shitload of fun, but in many cases is NOT the best way to prepare for the future, let alone the most economical. . .

cheese, clay recommends forgoing financial aid and stripping to make extra $$$ to pay for tuition and living expenses. . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

23. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information