Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: McCoy is the real problem...

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

Default McCoy is the real problem...

After witnessing what took place on the 1 yard line of the Tennessee Titans yesterday I have come to the conclusion that Orton is not the biggest problem with this offence. It's Mike McCoy. I've never seen a more stupid series of play calls in my life. It's a pretty established fact that I've got no use for Orton but I can't blame him for terrible, incompetent red zone play calling...

Discuss...
    "Chickens are dope..." - Von Miller

2. The Following 15 Users High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastBronco View Post
    After witnessing what took place on the 1 yard line of the Tennessee Titans yesterday I have come to the conclusion that Orton is not the biggest problem with this offence. It's Mike McCoy. I've never seen a more stupid series of play calls in my life. It's a pretty established fact that I've got no use for Orton but I can't blame him for terrible, incompetent red zone play calling...

Discuss...
    Hell yeah. We need a new Offense and OC. As much as I want to draft a QB early next year, I dont want the current Jabrones ruining him.

I also would like a new RB coach and line coach and . As much as I like Studsville, I think he sucks as a rb coach.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

4. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:

It seems to be a belief (based on Fox's, and some of the player's, comments) that they feel they should be able to move the defensive line in a head to head matchup, to get one yard when you need it.

While I agree you "should" be able to, there is nothing we've seen that indicates this line can, so why call three more or less identical runs that all had basically the same result.

6. The Following 8 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

I would love to be a fly on the wall and have heard what Fox said to McCoy after that game. I realize Fox was the one who made the call to go for it on 4th down but 5 or 6 run plays in a row? That's on McCoy.
    This is shaping up to be a very frustrating season..especially with the defence improving the way it has been...
    "Chickens are dope..." - Von Miller

8. The Following User High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

I really wish we'd kept Ben McDaniels on as QB coach. He did a good job coaching up Tebow last year in the last 3 games but Fox felt the need to give his buddy's brother a promotion. That way we could have just fired McCoy and promoted McDaniels to OC. Then again, I'm only basing it off what I saw from Tebow's play the last 3 games of last year and the reviews he got along with the horrid QB play this year. I'm going out on a limb here, but based on what I've seen this year so far I think he would have been a better option. Agree or disagree, I think by the end of the year he knew what he was doing with the QBs.

Also not putting Tebow in on red zone plays? Josh knew that Orton wasn't any good in first and goal. He realized our offensive line simply can't win goal line battles and started putting Tebow in. There is no good excuse to keep Tebow out of the game in the red zone. None. This offensive coaching staff is a joke for keeping our best red zone threat on the bench when we need him. Defenses just can't stop Tebow from running or throwing for 4 yards or less near the goal line. They can't. Orton is not scaring anyone on 3rd and goal. It's time for some creativity. I don't care if "OH WELL ORTON DOES IT WELL IN PRACTICE!!!" if he can't do it in the freaking game: when it matters. Regardless of who starts, don't play this whole political game of "IF WE PLAY TEBOW THEN THE FANS MIGHT WANT HIM TO PLAY MORE!" when the job of a coach is to make sure the team wins the mother ******* ball game. The fan base will never get behind Orton again unless he wins ball games. Orton isn't going to win ball games on first and goal, 2nd and goal, 3rd and goal, or 4th and goal so get him out of there and just put Tebow in on red zone plays. It isn't rocket science.

I don't mind having the check downs as available options to Orton, but there just isn't enough effort to go deep to Lloyd. Throwing Lloyd a ball and expecting him to get YAC is stupid. He isn't a "make plays in space" type player; he can't catch ordinary passes. Lloyd only catches balls that are impossible to catch so he can boost his own highlight reel. Throw it to him past the yard marker and stop using him as a decoy. Throw it to him 40 yards down field at the sidelines. He'll catch it. He's obsessed with doing his little "you can't see me thing." He is right though, we can't see him at all because he isn't doing shit when he is out there.

tl;dr: Throw the ball to Lloyd. Put Tebow in on red zone plays AT THE LEAST. Lastly and most importantly, WIN THE MOTHER ******* BALL GAME. What the coaching staff is doing just isn't working.

10. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Meh. Hindsight on this one is a bitch. Had they gone play action and watched orton throw it into the stands we would have been ragging on him too.

I'm glad they had the balls to go for it. It just backfired on this one.

McCoy has been terrible this season - so far.

I wasn't impressed with him last year either though. The redzone playcalling is pretty bad. There is just getting around this, I hate our offense. I can't stand Orton, I can't stand McCoy, and it's brutal to watch.

Fox is doing good things with the defense but the offense is putrid.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    It seems to be a belief (based on Fox's, and some of the player's, comments) that they feel they should be able to move the defensive line in a head to head matchup, to get one yard when you need it.

While I agree you "should" be able to, there is nothing we've seen that indicates this line can, so why call three more or less identical runs that all had basically the same result.
    I just got done reading Woody Paige's article on the game. In it there is a comment by McGahee where he's asked if that last rushing attempt on the goal line was suppose to go over center. He said no it was suppose to go to the right over where our two best run blockers are.

Woody Paige: One yard, so many arguments
    By Woody Paige
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 09/26/2011 01:00:00 AM

When we were alone, I asked him: "Was that play supposed to go over center?"

McGahee paused.

McGahee finally told me: "The play was to run at right guard. Everybody has to be on the same page. That's all I'm going to say about that."

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_18977269
    NB: I cut out part of the answer which was rehash of what happened on the three previous plays.

So with all due respect ECB I don't think McCoy is the problem.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 09-26-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I just got done reading Woody Paige's article on the game. In it there is a comment by McGahee where he's asked if that last rushing attempt on the goal line was suppose to go over center. He said no it was suppose to go to the right over where our two best run blockers are.

NB: I cut out part of the answer which was rehash of what happened on the three previous plays.

So with all due respect ECB I don't think McCoy is the problem.
    Its lack of talent. This team sucks ass. How any of you (not you TEX) thought that this team was somehow going to go 9-7 or better is just laughable.
    Theres also NO depth whatsoever on this team as well. None.
    Many, many of these players will be cut at seasons end.
    This is a rebuild, folks. Just sit back, enjoy the NFL as a total sport for the year, and let Elway rebuild the team.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

Quote Originally Posted by BigSarge87 View Post
    Meh. Hindsight on this one is a bitch. Had they gone play action and watched orton throw it into the stands we would have been ragging on him too.

I'm glad they had the balls to go for it. It just backfired on this one.
    Balls to go for it? It was stupid to go for it. In a tight game up by 4 you kick it everytime.

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrew View Post
    Balls to go for it? It was stupid to go for it. In a tight game up by 4 you kick it everytime.
    Meh, i liked the call. If we make that TD we probably win the game.

18. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

If McCoy had the green light from Fox to utilize Tebow's skills on the goaline then perhaps the playcalling would have been different.

I'm not a McCoy fan, but I imagine the playbook is very limited inside the 10 yard line with Orton under center...a long line of evidence shows that Orton is very limited on a short field.

McCoy is a problem, but I'm not sure how good any playcaller would do if they only had a QB with the redzone ability of a turd to work with. Given the personnel that was on the field at the time, handing off to McGahee is a higher percentage play than another Orton pass into the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCALORADO. View Post
    Its lack of talent. This team sucks ass. How any of you (not you TEX) thought that this team was somehow going to go 9-7 or better is just laughable.
    Theres also NO depth whatsoever on this team as well. None.
    Many, many of these players will be cut at seasons end.
    This is a rebuild, folks. Just sit back, enjoy the NFL as a total sport for the year, and let Elway rebuild the team.
    That's the problem, what are we rebuilding? Miller is a good start but other than that I see the same crap faces out there on the field. It took a Royal injury to get Decker in the lineup. I have no problem with Fox going for it on that series, worst case scenario the Titans are backed up to their goalline. I do have a problem with the lack of creativity on offense and the lack of using talent that will help the Broncos win games. If you know that Tim Tebow is very good in the redzone and you fail to use him at the expense of the team, that is just bad coaching.

We know Mike McCoy has packages for Tebow, we saw them last year. I'm not sure what the malfunction is with John Fox and his dealings in this offense but it is hurting this team.

21. The Following User High Fived BroncoStud For This Post:

Yeah!?!?! Why was there no gimmick play with TT down there at the goaline?
    I swear i watched that guy throw a million 3 yard "jump passes" in college.
    Would have been a perfect time to pull that one out of the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStud View Post
    That's the problem, what are we rebuilding? Miller is a good start but other than that I see the same crap faces out there on the field. It took a Royal injury to get Decker in the lineup. I have no problem with Fox going for it on that series, worst case scenario the Titans are backed up to their goalline. I do have a problem with the lack of creativity on offense and the lack of using talent that will help the Broncos win games. If you know that Tim Tebow is very good in the redzone and you fail to use him at the expense of the team, that is just bad coaching.

We know Mike McCoy has packages for Tebow, we saw them last year. I'm not sure what the malfunction is with John Fox and his dealings in this offense but it is hurting this team.
    DEN is playing with what they have, watching the young guys develop, and making decisions on who they should keep, and who gets dumped.
    And if you cant even crack the starting line up, well consider yourself dumped.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information