Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coldplay Plagiarized Joe Satriani?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Default Coldplay Plagiarized Joe Satriani?

I guess when you "Viva La Vida" you gotta expect some controversy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008...-sues-coldplay

Coldplay sued by Joe Satriani for copyright infringementThe American guitar whizz claims Chris Martin and his crew have borrowed 'substantial original portions'

It seems everyone thinks they wrote the Coldplay track Viva La Vida. Earlier this year, New York band Creaky Boards posted a YouTube clip claiming the song was similar to one of their own. And now acclaimed American rock guitarist Joe Satriani is suing the band for copyright infringement. Satriani claims that Viva La Vida rips off his song, If I Could Fly. The suit contends that "substantial original portions" of his song are recycled in Coldplay's hit.

On the one hand, you have Satriani's six-and-a-half-minute instrumental from 2004, with cheese-ball guitar wailing, moments of shredding, and long bouts of soloing. On the other hand, you have Viva La Vida: Eno-produced, Grammy-nominated, full of strings, church bells, drum rolls, chorales. And a sort of harpsichord solo. Certainly Viva La Vida is cheese-ball as well - but it feels more cheddar than Dairylea.

Enterprising YouTubers have already created head-to-head comparisons, but unfortunately for Satriani it's not internet commenters who will decide whether his song has been plagiarised. The 52-year-old is seeking a jury trial, demanding damages and "any and all profits" from the song.

Even if Satriani is unsuccessful, Coldplay may yet have difficulties with Creaky Boards. The band still allege that at least three seconds of Viva La Vida were nicked from their (aptly named) tune, The Songs I Didn't Write.

Not only that, Creaky Boards are, er, pretty sure they saw Chris Martin in the crowd at one of their gigs. Your honour – throw away the key!
    When I was out to lunch earlier Howard Stern was playing them simultaneously. . .Satriani might have a case.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I heard this on Friday, actually. I don't think Creaky Boards has much of a case, but the melody line in Satriani's is exactly the same.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    I heard this on Friday, actually. I don't think Creaky Boards has much of a case, but the melody line in Satriani's is exactly the same.
    Stern had a recording and mixed them/played them simultaneously. .. it sounded like Satriani was playing with them. It matched perfectly.

It's one of those things though. .. I doubt Coldplay actually copied it, but there's just so many combinations of notes within keys that you can do before something gets repeated by random.

I don't think Satriani has to prove that they copied though. . .just that it's the same and he copywrighted it first.

4. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

It sounds similar, but youre right there is only so many ways to skin a cat.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Same thing happened to The Verve not too long ago on Bittersweet Symphony...the violin line at the beginning was the exact same as some old Rolling Stones song, and the Stones sued them for royalties.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

7. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Sounds like Coldplay pulled a Vanilla Ice

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Same thing happened to The Verve not too long ago on Bittersweet Symphony...the violin line at the beginning was the exact same as some old Rolling Stones song, and the Stones sued them for royalties.
    Really? I was not aware of that. I love Bittersweet Symphony. Interesting.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

As for Coldplay, im not really surprised. They suck anyway.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Really? I was not aware of that. I love Bittersweet Symphony. Interesting.
    http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/5110...99/verve.jhtml

And you like the Verve, but think Coldplay sucks...

12. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/5110...99/verve.jhtml

And you like the Verve, but think Coldplay sucks...
    I like the one song. When i bought the album back then it was just for that song.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I like the one song. When i bought the album back then it was just for that song.
    I did too, there were a couple of songs that were OK on it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Nobody plagiarized Joe Satriani because nobody listens to Joe Satriani.

16. The Following User High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    Nobody plagiarized Joe Satriani because nobody listens to Joe Satriani.
    Well, you're wrong there.

18. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Well, you're wrong there.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Here's the clip, played over each other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I

There's no way Coldplay wins this. None.

Copyright law is very clear. Joe's came first, they took more bars from it than allowed, they didn't ask permission, they didn't sample, they gave him no royalties.

All their base are belong to him as far as the money generated by that song goes. The Verve lost every dime they made off of Bittersweet Symphony to the Stones, and Joe Satriani is gonna make more money off the stolen licks from his song than he ever did off of his own albums.

Not that I'm blaming him - if you're gonna be stupid enough to steal music from someone, try not to do it from the guy that taught Kirk Hammett how to play.

Anybody associated even tangentially with Metallica will put your nuts in a jar when it comes to stolen music.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information