Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Coldplay Plagiarized Joe Satriani?

I find the fact that bands like Coldplay and The Verve who sounds like they are always complaining and whining, I find the fact that they are busted for plagiarizing ironic and hilarious.

Let Coldplay create a song that sounds like "MOM! They say I am copying another guy, get daddy to talk to them"
    That is the picture I get.

2. The Following User High Fived haroldthebarrel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

G$ do you really think that they actually stole it?

I don't really care one way or the other, but it would really be surprising to me for a band with the notoriety/fame that Coldplay enjoys to actively go out and actually "steal" the melody for a song.

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm more apt to think that two decent musicians came up with the same chord progression on their own, but Satriani did it first.

Won't help Coldplay's case at all, they will still lose it, but I just don't see a band that big intentionally stealing stuff like that and putting it out there as the lead song for an album.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    G$ do you really think that they actually stole it?

I don't really care one way or the other, but it would really be surprising to me for a band with the notoriety/fame that Coldplay enjoys to actively go out and actually "steal" the melody for a song.

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm more apt to think that two decent musicians came up with the same chord progression on their own, but Satriani did it first.

Won't help Coldplay's case at all, they will still lose it, but I just don't see a band that big intentionally stealing stuff like that and putting it out there as the lead song for an album.
    Its not uncommon for a musician to have heard a riff and then subconciously use the riff without realizing what he had done. But, i have no idea if any Coldplay member is a Satch fan or not. Never the less, the riff/melody caught someone's attention enough and it all spiraled from there. Could they have come up with the same riff on their own? Maybe. I just dont know how they would go about proving it was.

5. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Its not uncommon for a musician to have heard a riff and then subconciously use the riff without realizing what he had done. But, i have no idea if any Coldplay member is a Satch fan or not. Never the less, the riff/melody caught someone's attention enough and it all spiraled from there. Could they have come up with the same riff on their own? Maybe. I just dont know how they would go about proving it was.
    Well, as I said it doesn't matter as far as the case goes. Satriani owns that music, and however they came up with it I think they lose the case.

I'm just curious more about motive to actively steal it. I don't see it, and would give them the benefit of the doubt, but they'll still owe Satriani a ton of royalties.

7. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Well, as I said it doesn't matter as far as the case goes. Satriani owns that music, and however they came up with it I think they lose the case.

I'm just curious more about motive to actively steal it. I don't see it, and would give them the benefit of the doubt, but they'll still owe Satriani a ton of royalties.
    My guess is it wasnt intentional. I used to play songs in my head from my favorite bands only to say to myself "what if they slowed down this riff or made it faster" and tried to make it sound like it would in my head. Im not even a musician and i would do that. For years i was wondering how Gary Numan's "Cars" would sound in a metal enviroment. So when Fear Factory did it as a cover it sounded much like i thought it would. So i do believe this may just be a case where one member heard something from Satch that stuck in his head which he may of interpreted later on as a riff of his own. I could be wrong, but i like you find it hard to believe they would purposely copyright someone's else's material. But then again, we did have Milli Vanilli at one point.

9. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

I don't doubt it, Joe Sat is top 5 all time guitarists in my book.

11. The Following User High Fived Benetto For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

If Coldplay wasnt such a gaggle of fags, I dont think Joe would have such a problem with it

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    If Coldplay wasnt such a gaggle of fags, I dont think Joe would have such a problem with it
    Funniest thing I read all day Coach, LMAO.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Default Did Both of Them Knock Off Hollywood Squares?

I was listening to the "History of Howard Stern" yesterday and he was replaying some of his clips from a stint where he was on Hollywood Squares.

They played the theme song, and it immediately hit me that it sounded eerily similar to these other two songs. ..

Take a listen for yourself. I think it's funny.

Coldplay/Satriani: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvB9Pj9Znsw

The New Hollywood Squares: http://www.televisiontunes.com/New_H...res_(The).html

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information