Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How is This Team Winning?

Default How is This Team Winning?

At times this season, the Broncos have looked like they could go deep into the playoffs, winning games on the road against the Jets and Falcons who are both 8-4. They have also won 3 in a row on the road. At other times, the Broncos look like they can't get out of thier own way. They have lost 3 in a row at home, including the most recent 31-10 loss at the hands of the hated Raiders.

Let's look at some numbers. The Broncos rank 31st in the NFL in turnover ratio at -11. The defense is ranked 28th in yardage given up, 29th in points allowed, 31st in interceptions, and 26th in forced fumbles.

Hmm, let's look at some better numbers. The offense is 2nd in the NFL overall. They are tied for 11th in scoring, and Cutler has 3393 yards and 21 TD's with 4 games left to go in the season.

Now let's look at the only numbers that really count. 7-5 overall, and 1ST PLACE IN THE AFC WEST.

How is this possible? There are a few reasons:

1. The AFC West is horrible this season and the Broncos have taken advantage of it.

2. This team is very confident on the road. Perhaps even more so than at home. Road record- 4-2.....Home record- 3-3.

3. The Broncos are reaping the benifits of 2 very outstanding drafts. Cutler, Clady, Marshall, Royal, Kuper, Scheffler, Hillis, and Larsen are all making big contributions.

4 Good offensive coaching. Yes, I said good offensive coaching. Not only is Shanahan putting the right players on the field, he's also using them in ways that compliment thier strengths and hide thier weaknesses. Granted, some of these players may have gotten thier chance purely due to attrition, but others were put in place in training camp.

This is a young team folks. The youngest that Shanahan has ever coached in Denver. The only thing that we can count on is that this team is going to be inconsistent. World-beaters one week, and sheep put out to slaughter the next. They cannot overcome turnovers unless the other team is giving the ball right back. The D just isn't good enough. They are however, learning how to win on the road, and to go hard every play, lest they lose thier jobs.

Going into the season, the offense and defense both needed major upgrades. The FO can only do so much in 1 offseason. The offensive line has been revamped and the offense now has the talent to succeed. Yes, we would all love to have a franchise RB, but you can't have everything in the NFL. The salary cap just doesn't permit it.

The defense should, and I believe will be adressed in the offseason. Can they make enough moves to produce a dominating D in one year? Not likely, but some steps in the right direction are forthcoming. Look for both the draft and free agency to address the defense.

Until then, the Broncos are rebuilding, and doing it while winning this division. Life is good. Unless you're a Raider or Chiefs fan.

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    1. The AFC West is horrible this season and the Broncos have taken advantage of it.
    Based on our 2-2 division record, I'd say we've reaped the benefits of playing in the AFCW rather than taken advantage of it. Otherwise, good article. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

3. The Broncos are reaping the benifits of 2 very outstanding drafts. Cutler, Clady, Marshall, Royal, Kuper, Scheffler, Hillis, and Larsen are all making big contributions.
    Good read, though I would add Harris to the list. It's his second year and he is playing as well as Clady.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hobe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe View Post
    Good read, though I would add Harris to the list. It's his second year and he is playing as well as Clady.
    I agree that Harris is playing great. I didn't add him because he wasn't in either of the 2 drafts I was talking about. Harris was in the class of 07. I was speaking of the 06 and 08 draft classes. Harris certainly appears to be the bright spot in the 07 draft, although I haven't given up on Thomas, Moss and Crowder yet.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 12-06-2008 at 08:00 PM.

8. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Good article looks like Coach has his whip out..

They are young and inconsistent at best. With lots of talent but not yet mentally tough.. that may take a couple of years to develop the killer instinct they need to not play at the level of their opponents each week or read their own press clipping..

10. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

A great offense will almost always get you to the playoffs.

Get Cutler a defense and your franchise can do a lot of great things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Good article Ziggy - not too long, not too short.
    This space available for lease.

14. The Following User High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    A great offense will almost always get you to the playoffs.

Get Cutler a defense and your franchise can do a lot of great things.
    Agreed - we don't even need a Great D, just a respectable middle of the pack one would do nicely. Of course I wouldn't complain about a top 10 defense either!
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Nice article. I was going to mention Harris as well. While he wasn't in either of those two draft classes, like Clady, he has only given up half a sack through 12 games and it appears that the Ryan's could be protecting Cutler from the outside rush for years to come.

On offense, this is incredibly young team with a lot of talent and potential.

Marshall, Clady, Hamilton, ?Center?, Kuper, Harris, Scheffler, Royal.

If you look at the line, TE and WR's, only Hamilton has more than three years in the league, and being in his 8th season, he could play for another 6-8 years at LG, or possibly move to center which was the original play when he was drafted.

This means that with the exception of finding a center (or LG if Hamilton slides to center), barring injury, the Broncos appear to be VERY well stocked with young talent for years to come with the line and receivers.

Cutler of course is in his 3rd year, and still coming into his own. When he is "good Jay" he can be really good and lift the team to lofty heights. When he is "bad Jay" he starts to force the ball and look more like a rookie than a 3rd year, budding super star.

Hillis looks to be a solid FB/H-back player and a steal in the seventh round. I like Shanahan's recent comments about possibly lining him up at TE in the future, or whatever it takes to keep him on the field and get the ball in his hands.

RB obviously is a big question mark right now. Will Young prove to be an injury prone back, or one that is only capable of 7-10 carries a game, vs. the every down back he wanted to prove he was this year. Will torain get another chance, or does two major injuries derail his future with the Broncos. Lot's of question marks here. It might be that Larsen at FB and Hillis at RB, with a change of pace back like Pope, Young or aldridge might be the Broncos running game next year, or Hillis could go back to FB and the mian RB duties move to an existing or new player.

So, while there are some questions at RB and center, beyond that this offense is stocked with young talent which should make the broncos an offensive force for years to come.

I wish the defense was as stocked with youth and potential as the offense, but there are still MANY question marks in terms of how the youngsters on defense will fit into the Broncos plans in the near and long term.

18. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

I agree that Harris is playing great. I didn't add him because he wasn't in either of the 2 drafts I was talking about. Harris was in the class of 07. I was speaking of the 06 and 08 draft classes. Harris certainly appears to be the bright spot in the 07 draft, although I haven't given up on Thomas, Moss and Crowder yet.
    Well, I would hope you haven't given up on Thomas. He's starting. Wouldn't
    you say that's pretty good for a 4th round draft choice? Even if Moss and
    Crowder bust, that still makes for a very good draft . . . but they likely won't.
    Moss has been playing regularly, and they obviously haven't given up on
    Crowder.

So that amounts to two great drafts and a good one, the only thing keeping
    the 2007 draft from being great is the numbers (4 choices), doesn't it?

P.S. Nice writeup.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

20. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Well, I would hope you haven't given up on Thomas. He's starting. Wouldn't
    you say that's pretty good for a 4th round draft choice? Even if Moss and
    Crowder bust, that still makes for a very good draft . . . but they likely won't.
    Moss has been playing regularly, and they obviously haven't given up on
    Crowder.

So that amounts to two great drafts and a good one, the only thing keeping
    the 2007 draft from being great is the numbers (4 choices), doesn't it?

P.S. Nice writeup.

-----
    Excellent point. That '07 draft doesn't look like the disaster its been portrayed by some as when you take a step back and think on it for a minute. Thank you Mr. Ryan Harris.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Unfortunately, Moss is still the 18th pick overall. He needs to produce. And we were sold on the fact that Marcus Thomas was a first-round talent who dropped because of personal issues. Crowder sucks.

One out of four isn't good enough if we want to be contenders.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

24. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

What's with this Thomas and 1st round business? Thomas was picked in the
    4th round. He's starting. I don't know how to describe that as anything but
    successful drafting . . .

Two out of four, if it ends up that way, is pretty good, especially in that both
    are starting and Harris is panning out as one of the best tackles in the league.
    I cannot figure any way one can put a negative to the 2007 draft.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

26. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    What's with this Thomas and 1st round business? Thomas was picked in the
    4th round. He's starting. I don't know how to describe that as anything but
    successful drafting . . .

Two out of four, if it ends up that way, is pretty good, especially in that both
    are starting and Harris is panning out as one of the best tackles in the league.
    I cannot figure any way one can put a negative to the 2007 draft.

-----
    One out of four until the run defense actually is worth a shit...pass defense for that matter too.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Sorry for being sequential on you...

29. The Following User High Fived Hobe For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information