Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Football X & Os

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by haroldthebarrel View Post
    oh yeah. it is definately not a counter. Looks like a stretch play.I am so definatley in the wrong there.
    It definitely wasn't a stretch play.

That looked like a designed cut back. I don't think the Jets are employing a zone-blocking scheme there, but its similar. That was a straight-up blocking scheme (but maybe not zone) and Thomas just picking his hole, and it might have even been a natural cutback, like a "belly" play.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post

That looked like a designed cut back. I don't think the Jets are employing a zone-blocking scheme there, but its similar. That was a straight-up blocking scheme (but maybe not zone) and Thomas just picking his hole, and it might have even been a natural cutback, like a "belly" play.
    A belly is really what it looked like.

SHORYUKEN!

Quote Originally Posted by Zweems56 View Post
    A belly is really what it looked like.
    cool another thing to learn. What is a belly? Please be specific.

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

back to paint =p

SHORYUKEN!

I thought the telecaster's description on that play was spot on, Fox bit on the pass and was 15 yards out of position. Good info guys, I love this stuff.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoTech For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

Left being counter, right being belly. the \ through the run is where the ball gets handed off. On the counter its a sharp cut back to the other side, receiving hte ball after the cut. Belly is a rounder cut, cutting after receiving the ball and after you get past the quarterback

SHORYUKEN!

Are you sure about that. The TE and RT double the end. The guard goes one on one vs the DT, and the center and guard doubles the other DT. The LT is one on one vs the end. That is pretty much the definition of a zone stretch play according to the image before.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by haroldthebarrel View Post
    Are you sure about that. The TE and RT double the end. The guard goes one on one vs the DT, and the center and guard doubles the other DT. The LT is one on one vs the end. That is pretty much the definition of a zone stretch play according to the image before.
    Here's what I saw, Harold...I saw the defense flowing like a stretch, but the offense playing a straight up-blocking scheme, and because Denver was cheating the safety and the wide receiver goes in motion, all Thomas had to do was beat one guy. I think it was a combination of Denver's defense flowing too much with where they thought the play might go, and good straight-up blocking (though not necessarily zone blocking) from the Jets.

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon Stokley

Quote Originally Posted by Zweems56 View Post
    Untrue. watch the play again. How could it possibly be the MLB's responsibility to cover that gap when the OLB is still outside of him? Play looked like this:

The OLB overpursued left side, and had to dive to his left, the right side, to miss the tackle. OLB overpursued on that one BIGTIME, and As you can see, so did fox from the safety spot
    I thought Winborn got boxed out on the outside, but your right he clearly lost containment on the outside by over pursuing to the middle.. Larson over persuade to the right as well. In fact, even if Winborn had stayed home and hit the 4 gap, Jones could have came through the 2.

Either way, it is his job to force everything back to the inside. He clearly didn't do that.

Asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler, McDaniels answered: "Never." Nice to see your a man of your word Josh

Adopted Bronco:
    Tommy Nalen

Quote Originally Posted by fcspikeit View Post
    I thought Winborn got boxed out on the outside, but your right he clearly lost containment on the outside by over pursuing to the middle.. Larson over persuade to the right as well. In fact, even if Winborn had stayed home and hit the 4 gap, Jones could have came through the 2.

Either way, it is his job to force everything back to the inside. He clearly didn't do that.
    EXACTLY. well said. I used to play Weak side, and thats really a whole lot of the position's point. Your presence should force them inside or put them on their ass.

SHORYUKEN!

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Great Great stuff here guys, all around. Nice work.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Ya know Harold, I expected a thread like this from you,

The first line of defense is "dictate".

The second line of defense is.......

Show the QB a weakness.....

Then take it away.

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

(sigh)
    IN PATON I TRUST.

IMO the TD looked like it was meant to be a simple off tackle play. The Jets doubled the point of attack. Flanker mtion was to influence the safety/OLB while the FBs job was to kick out in the event of a stunt and turn up into the hole if no one appeared. However, the Denver had the play completely stuffed wo the RB cut back.

The defensive left end was completely neutralized. The D left tackle stepped to the B gap but feeling pressure tried to get "across the face" of the blocker. The Sam LB influenced I believe by the FB pull stepped inside. The problem was that he had his outside foot up making it hard for him to recover to the outside when the TB suddenly appeared in the B gap.

The DT was doing exactly what you teach but the DE and OLB made a play out of a desperation cutback. Had the DE got off the block at all or had the Sam kept contain (both of which I am sure they are continually drilled on) it would have been on to the next play with little or no gain.
    RIP Cameron, D, & D

16. The Following User High Fived Dean For This Post:

Here's what I saw, Harold...I saw the defense flowing like a stretch, but the offense playing a straight up-blocking scheme, and because Denver was cheating the safety and the wide receiver goes in motion, all Thomas had to do was beat one guy. I think it was a combination of Denver's defense flowing too much with where they thought the play might go, and good straight-up blocking (though not necessarily zone blocking) from the Jets.

The right tackle and TE doubled on the outside end, creating an inside seam through the right B gap. That is why I dont think it was a straight up blocking scheme since then there would have been not two double teams at the line.

This is a very interesting and learning discussion with you though.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information