Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tebow's Mechanics

I'm not an expert on this but John Elway is and he commented publicly on Tebow's mechanics problems.

Tebow's problem is in the footwork and squaring his shoulders. If the feet are properly aligned after his three step drop then his body is properly aligned and the throw will go where his body is pointing. Accuracy depends on this. Having to THINK about getting into the proper position is fatal. It's like golf. If you have to think about your swing, you can't develop any consistency.

When running with the ball you need to stop and plant to throw accurately downfield -- at least if you're throwing more than just a dump-off pass.

Being able to do these things accurately requires endless practice. Orton has been practicing from under center for 10 years now in College and the NFL. Tebow came to the NFL with virtually NO such practice since he operated from the shot-gun in the spread offense at Florida and it shows.

It's by no means certain that he can EVER really master those skills adequately, but we'll see.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I'm a lefty and I take (took) snaps with my right hand on top.

Don't think that's an issue.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

So, because Tebow has not adjusted to where the center snaps the ball it has caused his bad throwing mechanics??? I'm confused???

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I'm not an expert on this but John Elway is and he commented publicly on Tebow's mechanics problems.

Tebow's problem is in the footwork and squaring his shoulders. If the feet are properly aligned after his three step drop then his body is properly aligned and the throw will go where his body is pointing. Accuracy depends on this. Having to THINK about getting into the proper position is fatal. It's like golf. If you have to think about your swing, you can't develop any consistency.

When running with the ball you need to stop and plant to throw accurately downfield -- at least if you're throwing more than just a dump-off pass.

Being able to do these things accurately requires endless practice. Orton has been practicing from under center for 10 years now in College and the NFL. Tebow came to the NFL with virtually NO such practice since he operated from the shot-gun in the spread offense at Florida and it shows.

It's by no means certain that he can EVER really master those skills adequately, but we'll see.
    When Elway was working with Tebow after practice a couple of weeks ago it wasn't on footwork and shoulder squaring, they were discussing hand position when under center.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_18719025

"And what Elway was doing for much of the time was simply showing Tebow how he should position his hands to accept a snap from center."

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I'm a lefty and I take (took) snaps with my right hand on top.

Don't think that's an issue.
    No offense Joe, but the points I'm making relate to fairly subtle factors that likely would not create an issue unless playing at the extremely high level that is required of NFL quarterbacks. Even college masks a lot of physical flaws that players have that prove to be fatal when transitioning to the pros. Unless of course, you have experience playing pro football.

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

And IF Tebow can simply make things happen and win games...
    move the ball say..
    94 yards on a TD drive...

do his mechanincs really matter?

Is it about winning or is it about pleasing football analysts?

The kid just needs some experience....
    then he will be who he is.

The over-analyzation of every facet of his game is doing him no good.

At some point... he will get a shot and he will show what he can do...
    beyond practice and trying to force "Prototypical NFL" mechanincs.

The hyper criticism is over the top.

He is our sophmore backup QB. He will improve... over time.

Your points are good... it may be that he could address the issue..
    but dont you think he has discussed it with McCoy?

Is there no one on the team who has noticed this?

He hasn't ever thought about it?
    AFC WEST Champions
    Steelers HATE US.

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    When Elway was working with Tebow after practice a couple of weeks ago it wasn't on footwork and shoulder squaring, they were discussing hand position when under center.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_18719025

"And what Elway was doing for much of the time was simply showing Tebow how he should position his hands to accept a snap from center."
    So Elway is addressing the issue with him....
    AFC WEST Champions
    Steelers HATE US.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    No offense Joe, but the points I'm making relate to fairly subtle factors that likely would not create an issue unless playing at the extremely high level that is required of NFL quarterbacks. Even college masks a lot of physical flaws that players have that prove to be fatal when transitioning to the pros. Unless of course, you have experience playing pro football.
    Unfortunately not. Did you? Not being sarcastic, but some of the greatest QB's have mentioned leave his throwing mechanics alone and focus on footwork. I really don't think accepting the ball with his right hand on top makes a bit of difference, personally. Us lefties live in a right-handed world. You wouldn't believe how many things we just get used to being "backwards" so to speak. To change some of those minor things at this point would be the opposite of what he's been doing his entire playing career.

I agree Paint, winning cures all and I've never really had an issue with Tebow's throwing motion. Heck, Rivers' delivery is butt-ugly and he has managed to have a successful career.

I was mostly posting this because I was curious if the fact that he is a lefty adapting to a right-handed world was creating some factors that lead to him developing his unique throwing motion.

I also think coaches might have a tough time teaching lefties due to the motions being reversed. It seems like it wouldn't matter, but when you are trying to demonstrate it could present some issues.

I don't think this is the magic key to "fixing" Tebow. I don't think he needs fixing at all, just more time and experience.

*** same response to BroncoJoe ***

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived LawDog For This Post:

tebow is goingto get one of our wrs killed eventually with his lofting toss

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    tebow is goingto get one of our wrs killed eventually with his lofting toss
    Phillip Rivers throws passes with hang times that can be measured with a sundial. Yet, Chargers wr's remain among the living...

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived LawDog For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

His "loftyness" didnt seem a problem on the 43 yd TD pass. Every QB has some bad throws, to pretend otherwise is just moronic.

16. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

it was certainly a problem on his pass to david anderson.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    it was certainly a problem on his pass to david anderson.
    Even the best of them make bad passes that puts receivers in harms way. Much ado about nothing. Its a physical game and there are risks.

19. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

No Moar tebow threads

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information