Thread: Analysis: Even in preseason, winning is good for Broncos

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Default Analysis: Even in preseason, winning is good for Broncos

Analysis: Even in preseason, winning is good for Broncos
    By Jeff Legwold
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 09/01/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

The Broncos' best teams in the preseason have usually been their best teams in the regular season. It would certainly stand to reason that their most talented teams would play better in the regular season, but those teams also played with enough passion in the preseason and had enough depth to have plenty of August success as well.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18799665

I never thought about there being a connection between Denver winning in the preseason and what happens in regular season. I enjoy watching Denver win irregardless if the game counts or not but I still don't think it's as important to regularly season success. IIRC the Steelers in the '70 wouldn't do all that well in the preseason but then they went out won four Super Bowls in the mid to late '70s.

DETROIT LIONS 2008
    Preseason 4-0
    Regular Season 0-16
    END THREAD.

3. The Following 5 Users High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Preseason wins are meaningless

5. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

They can set the tone for the starters, but IMO wins/losses dont matter because the people wrapping up the games aren't the people starting on Sunday.

Supporting the Denver Broncos all the way from North Carolina!

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived camdisco24 For This Post:

We're just starved for ANYTHING positive. We could win 2 games, we could win 8 games, hard to tell at this point.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoStud For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStud View Post
    We're just starved for ANYTHING positive. We could win 2 games, we could win 8 games, hard to tell at this point.

add them together and you shall have your answer.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

11. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by camdisco24 View Post
    They can set the tone for the starters, but IMO wins/losses dont matter because the people wrapping up the games aren't the people starting on Sunday.
    I think that's Legwold is trying to say.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    add them together and you shall have your answer.
    I love your positive thinking but with our schedule it could prove to be very difficult to win ten games.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

I will accept nothing less than a winning record and playoffs this year. Anything less is a total failure.

While I don't really buy that the preseason has a direct correlation. I do believe success in the pre-season can show the depth of your team in case of injuries and can help give a struggling franchise a little bit of confidence.

16. The Following User High Fived gregbroncs For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gregbroncs View Post
    While I don't really buy that the preseason has a direct correlation. I do believe success in the pre-season can show the depth of your team in case of injuries and can help give a struggling franchise a little bit of confidence.
    stupid post, but yeah, I agree (just kidding)

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

TX,

I really, really, really, wish you would stop using the word irregardless... It's like driving an icepick into my eyeball.

Thanks.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

19. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by gregbroncs View Post
    I agree, but if anything, all it has shown is the glaring lack of depth that we have on both lines. Our backups haven't looked good at all.

Our starting offense has looked... about like last year with a better run game and the starting defense has looked promising, but the backups have been bad.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    I agree, but if anything, all it has shown is the glaring lack of depth that we have on both lines. Our backups haven't looked good at all.

Our starting offense has looked... about like last year with a better run game and the starting defense has looked promising, but the backups have been bad.
    Huge understatement. They are dreadful. From what I can see our line depth is bottom of the barrel. Look for some moves when we go to 53 players. We can't get any worse bringing in a couple of released/waived players.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
    Huge understatement. They are dreadful. From what I can see our line depth is bottom of the barrel. Look for some moves when we go to 53 players. We can't get any worse bringing in a couple of released/waived players.
    I'm thinking both DL and OL pickups are likely after Saturday's cuts. That said, in terms of the line, having one of those guys elevated to the first team due to an injury, might be covered up by the guys around them. Assuming it's not Clady or Kuper, if it's one of the other guys, we are probably still ok. Lose multiple OL's and we are in trouble.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information