Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My wireless router sucks !!

Default My wireless router sucks !!

It's a Linksys - Wireless-G Broadband Router with 4-Port Ethernet Switch

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Linksys+...&skuId=9602713

I hardly have any range with this POS. I need to do something before the football season starts. I ussually use my laptop about 50 feet from the router and it only has to go through two walls. The walls are just sheetrock and insulation. If I go into the kitchen which is about 20 feet closer to the router, I have great signal strength but move the same 20 feet back and can't even connect.

Anyone have any good ideas or suggestions??
    Last edited by turftoad; 08-31-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    It's a Cisco-Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router.

I hardly have any range with this POS. I need to do something before the football season starts. I ussually use my laptop about 50 feet from the router and it only has to go through two walls. The walls are just sheetrock and insulation. If I go into the kitchen which is about 20 feet closer to the router, I have great signal strength but move the same 20 feet back and can't even connect.

Anyone have any good ideas or suggestions??
    I use a powerline adapter for rooms in my house that don't get a good wireless signal. Kind of costly, but worth it.

quit bitching and be happy with what you have. Alot of people have it worse

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I use a powerline adapter for rooms in my house that don't get a good wireless signal. Kind of costly, but worth it.
    I don't care what it cost's Joe. Fill me in. I'm sick and tired of not being able to connect.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Do a google search for powerline adapter. They basically use the electrical wiring in your home to create a "wired" network. It is not as fast as a direct connection to a modem, but it is reliable and typically faster than wireless. Around $75-100 to purchase. Places like Best Buy usually carry them.

6. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Either install tomato on your current router:

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Or buy one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833314065
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

8. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Do you have an external antennae on your router? If so, hit up radio shack and get a higher gain antennae. They also sell ones that are somewhat directional that will wind up boating the signal in a certain direction.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    Either install tomato on your current router:

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Or buy one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833314065
    Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Do you have an external antennae on your router? If so, hit up radio shack and get a higher gain antennae. They also sell ones that are somewhat directional that will wind up boating the signal in a certain direction.
    I tried both of those options - spent a lot of time and $$ trying to get a better signal to certain rooms in my house. After going the powerline route, I've NEVER looked back.

Do a google search for powerline adapter. They basically use the electrical wiring in your home to create a "wired" network. It is not as fast as a direct connection to a modem, but it is reliable and typically faster than wireless. Around $75-100 to purchase. Places like Best Buy usually carry them.
    Sounds good but I don't see why I can't just get a better wireless router with more range or an extender of something. Would be alot easier.
    Bill Williamson:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Sounds good but I don't see why I can't just get a better wireless router with more range or an extender of something. Would be alot easier.
    Easier than plugging two things into an outlet?

Easier than plugging two things into an outlet?
    I don't understand Joe.
    Bill Williamson:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

You buy them in a pair. Plug one into an outlet near your router, and use a Cat-5 from it to the router. Plug the other one into an outlet near where your laptop is, and Cat-5 it to your laptop.

Done.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CE8Q8gIwAg

16. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

You buy them in a pair. Plug one into an outlet near your router, and use a Cat-5 from it to the router. Plug the other one into an outlet near where your laptop is, and Cat-5 it to your laptop.

Done.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CE8Q8gIwAg
    This sounds good. I'm going to look into it a little further. Thanks, Joe.
    Bill Williamson:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

I tried both of those options - spent a lot of time and $$ trying to get a better signal to certain rooms in my house. After going the powerline route, I've NEVER looked back.
    I own the router I linked and I have great range all over my house and out into my yard. And it would really be cheaper to run Cat-5 in your house than buying a power network adapter (for me at least since I know how to run Cat-5).

However for someone who doesn't know how to run cat-5 the power adapter should be fine, however I worry about line noise and how long the adapter runs filtering out the 120v AC out of the network signal.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

I have D-Link: DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router. It is very powerful and very happy with it.

You can check this out. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530

20. The Following User High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information