Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My wireless router sucks !!

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    I own the router I linked and I have great range all over my house and out into my yard. And it would really be cheaper to run Cat-5 in your house than buying a power network adapter (for me at least since I know how to run Cat-5).

However for someone who doesn't know how to run cat-5 the power adapter should be fine, however I worry about line noise and how long the adapter runs filtering out the 120v AC out of the network signal.
    In some cases its not a matter of "knowing how" but how the house was built, stories, finished basement etc. Also, the drywall used in my home hs the foil backing. Great for additional insulation but a killer for wireless. My MBR also has mirrored door closets which also interfere.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

2. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Seven:1345216
    I have D-Link: DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router. It is very powerful and very happy with it.

You can check this out. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530
    I returned the POS Linksys that Turftoad dedicated this thread for. I have this router and so far no complaints.
    This space available for lease.

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

I had the same problem you are talking about, no range. I have a two story house with a basement for three floors. Got a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Bang Gigabit Router and it works great. No problems with signal strength on either floor. It was a lot cheaper than the other comparable dual band routers at Best Buy. Still about $100. Maybe this helps.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

5. The Following User High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
    I had the same problem you are talking about, no range. I have a two story house with a basement for three floors. Got a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Bang Gigabit Router and it works great. No problems with signal strength on either floor. It was a lot cheaper than the other comparable dual band routers at Best Buy. Still about $100. Maybe this helps.
    That's a good router.

Honestly Turf, I think your best bet is going with a better quality router. The power adapters work, but don't help if what you're after is a wireless connection.

Keep in mind while searching that the dual band routers (2.4 and 5ghz) work great and are probably better moving forward as 5ghz will more than likely become the standard. The 5ghz range is better for speed as there's not as much interference at that frequency (based on your distances I would bet that your problem is interference related) but 5ghz also has a slightly shorter range.

Additionally, if your laptop doesn't support wireless N (5ghz) then getting a better simultaneous dual band router won't make a difference as you'll still be connecting 2.4 (B/G).

IF that's the case you might want to look into a wireless range extender, best buy has a netgear extender for about 75$.

Give me some more details on your equipment that you wish to connect, distances,.etc and I'll try to tell you what's best.

7. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    That's a good router.

Honestly Turf, I think your best bet is going with a better quality router. The power adapters work, but don't help if what you're after is a wireless connection.

Keep in mind while searching that the dual band routers (2.4 and 5ghz) work great and are probably better moving forward as 5ghz will more than likely become the standard. The 5ghz range is better for speed as there's not as much interference at that frequency (based on your distances I would bet that your problem is interference related) but 5ghz also has a slightly shorter range.

Additionally, if your laptop doesn't support wireless N (5ghz) then getting a better simultaneous dual band router won't make a difference as you'll still be connecting 2.4 (B/G).

IF that's the case you might want to look into a wireless range extender, best buy has a netgear extender for about 75$.

Give me some more details on your equipment that you wish to connect, distances,.etc and I'll try to tell you what's best.
    Actually its not all that difficult to upgrade a laptop to a dual band minipci card if your notebook allows you to access the current card.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

9. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    Actually its not all that difficult to upgrade a laptop to a dual band minipci card if your notebook allows you to access the current card.
    It's very easy, but it's just more to buy, and more to do, especially if one isn't adept at disassembling laptops.

11. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information