Thread: Great Allen Iverson Story

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Great Allen Iverson Story

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...de_assist.html

Guard Samaritan's roadside assist
    Iverson talks about the night he met a couple of fans by accident

By PHIL JASNER

DURHAM, N.C. - The college student was driving on Interstate 64 from Newport News to Hampton, Va. It was after midnight, and Eileen Mellon was reaching toward the cup slot to her right, where she had tucked away her cell phone. She was pulling onto an exit ramp. She saw heavy construction cones and swerved. Her friend in the passenger seat screamed. The car flipped three times and landed on its side.

And that was how, roughly 6 weeks ago, Mellon and Ashlee Skweres met Allen Iverson.

"I turned the car off," recalled Mellon, who attends Roanoke College; Skweres attends Old Dominion University. "I just figured I should do that. We were fine. And then there was someone knocking on the window, asking if we were all right. He told us to roll down the window. I had to turn the car back on. He pulled Ashlee out. I looked up and said, 'Oh my God, you're Allen Iverson.' He got us out.

"By then, an ambulance came. They checked us and suggested we go to the hospital. Ashlee went. I waited for my mom."

It was all so fast, so surreal. It was enough for a friend, April Snoparsky, who has Philadelphia roots, to write a letter to the Daily News. She's an Iverson fan. All three girls are. Snoparsky wanted people to know about Iverson's rescue effort, that there was more than controversy to the former 76ers star.

Iverson, who grew up in Hampton, said he was with some friends on I-64 "on our way to see my uncle's house."

"I feel good that they're appreciative," Iverson said in a telephone conversation during a break in the Denver Nuggets' training camp. "I look at it as just being a human being. They needed help. People have helped me."

Iverson said he hadn't thought about the situation "in a while."

He said he had been unaware that it had become public knowledge until he was informed by his personal manager, Gary Moore. He hadn't seen Snoparsky's letter until yesterday.

"I just saw the car on the left side of the road," he told the Rocky Mountain News this week. "It was crashed all up. You could see all the glass and stuff in the street from the wreck. The car was smoking. I was like, 'We've got to go see what's up with these people.'

"Both of them said they were all right. One of them [Mellon], her seat belt was still on. I remember looking in there and asking, 'Are you sure you're all right? Is anything broken or anything like that?' One of them looked up and said, 'Oh my God, are you Allen Iverson?' I was like, 'Yeah, but don't worry about that. We're trying to get you all out and make sure you're all right.' "

Pulled to safety, Iverson saw the girls suddenly realize the severity of the moment.

"When they got out of the car and looked at [it], that's when both of them lost it," he said. "They realized what it could have been. That's a scary sight. You can be in a car and be all right, but when you get out and look at the damage done, you're like, 'It could have been so much worse.' "

Iverson said some other cars had pulled over to offer assistance, but when the police arrived "they said they had everything under control."

"I've seen accidents before, but usually you see police, fire trucks," Iverson said yesterday. "Nine times out of 10, the people are getting assistance. Here, I didn't see anybody. I saw a car parked [nearby] on the grass, with the [headlights] shining, but I didn't see anybody."

Iverson said that one of his friends later stopped at the hospital to check on the situation. He said he had not had contact with either of the girls since the accident.

"It was kind of crazy, to be rescued by someone of that nature," Mellon said. "He didn't have to stop."

But Snoparsky, a 2005 graduate of Trinity College now living in Vermont, felt compelled to let people know what Iverson had done.

"I'm a huge Iverson fan," Snoparsky said. "I think people just don't hear enough about the good side of him."

As for Mellon and her cell phone, "I was in the car one day and thought about sending a text message. I waited until I got home."

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Thanks for posting that. Great story about Iverson, I wish him well this season.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

For much of his career, Iverson has suffered somewhat of a "bad attitude"
    rap. It is good to see something like this come out on him. The Nuggets have
    expressed how much they like him, including incumbent star Carmelo Anthony,
    and this only serves to document their opinion of him.

Thanks for the read, DN.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

I want to say something mean, but even I cant dang you DN

He is truly one person I hate - Im sorry but I followed his college career more than anything - him being from Georgetown and me being a UCONN fan and my fav player ever Ray Allen being on the team and always going up against AI - (which my boy usually came out one top )

But its good to know even ___________ can be nice sometimes too

Hey someone said that about me last night LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Don't get him started on practice...

Allen Iverson.

If you haven't already, go to Youtube and check out some of his football highlights. He out Michael Vicked Michael Vick before Michael Vick was Michael Vick.

He's the only reason why I even follow the dreadful NBA.

good stuff...

i like iverson...

but this is exactly the reason why using cell phones in cars is highly illegal in australia...
    ________
    Zoloft withdraw
    Last edited by anton...; 08-31-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information