Thread: Your Favorite Guitarist

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

George Lynch
    In Elway We Trust

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

Hendrix, for one, just for his Star Spangled banner (let the debate ensue...)

And then here's one that I just can't get over... great sound, not my typical genre, the singing is horrid, but the intro is great. As soon as the singing starts in, it's not worth listening to... no idea who the guitarist is though, but it's got a good melodic, not-too-fast-not-too-slow intro. Death metal is never my thing, but that's where the best modern guitarists seem to be flocking.

Between the Buried and Me - "Prequel to the Sequel"
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    That kid is going to be good.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Good call on Paco Top. He lives about 10 minutes from me. My spanish tutor teaches his kids english. He's a nice guy from the few words I have had with him.

I'm a rock music fan first and foremost, and it's so hard to name one. I'll try to make a short list.

Brian May (Queen)
    Kirk Hammett (old metallica, and the new album has some decent stuff)
    Alex Lifeson (Rush, some of the solos on Hemispheres and 2112 are excellent)

Right now, I'm really in to the Mars Volta and Ozric Tentacles, but these are bands with more than one guitar player so it's hard to single any one of them out.

Some great names in this thread...Stevie Ray, Slash, Dimebag. I can't argue with any of those choices either.
    Having seen Queen & Paul Rodgers last month, I can say that Dr. May still sounds as good as ever

What always impressed me with BM was the attention to detail that he put into his work, from the way that he built the Red Special with his old man from bits of scrap, to the way he built solos a note at a time, to the way that he could make the RS sound like an entire orchestra.............incredible..............

Doesn't hurt either that as a backing vocalist he had a greater vocal range than most frontmen, and could write a pretty mean song as well
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29..............K Mc #11
    You'll Never Walk Alone

The Whiskeyteers ~ One for all, and all for more

6. The Following User High Fived Den21vsBal19 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rod Smith

Joe Satriani. Not only a superb guitar player, but composer as well.

Paul Gilbert plays well, but his music is not as good as Joe's.

Ditto on John Petrucci, but his playing lacks some of the heart of the two above.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Jason Becker was a budding legend until ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) rendered
    him to where he now can move little more than his eyes.

Here he is doing a rock improv:

Here he is playing "Cacophony":

And perhaps my favorite by him, "Altitudes":

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

9. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Rolling Stone released their 250 greatest guitarists of all time today.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ts-1234814010/

My favorites to listen to:

Jimi Hendrix
    Prince
    Keith Richards
    J Mascis
    Willie Nelson
    Kurt Vile
    David Gilmour
    Albert Hammond Jr.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Damn my list went long. I'll give a thoughtful "why" so it's more than just a name-dump.

Jimi - speaks using a guitar the best, Voodoo Chile makes me want to run thru a brick wall.

Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - less is more; dramatic; tasteful; moving; first listen to Comfortably Numb was the closest I've been to being sober but having a psychedelic trip.

Marr (Smiths) - invented a thing; distinctive emo texture; How Soon Is Now was unlike anything else I'd ever heard.

John McGeoch (Siouxsie) - genius; each song new; clever AF. Siouxsie is an art guitar band and one of my favorite musical acts of all time.

Santana - My mom was huge into Santana so it was the soundtrack to my 3, 4, and 5 year old life. I listen to Samba Pa Ti now and it's as fresh as ever.

Metheny - A poet who invents sound-collages and note-sonnets on guitar.

Johnny Winter - Mean Town Blues, and another spontaneous version, is an example of why his label thought he'd be the next Hendrix.

Bob Mould - His tone!! Also, he invented a dope alternative guitar texture (see, for example, Copper Blue). His punk/indie/hardcore stuff with Husker Du was also excellent distinctive noise rock (e.g., Zen Arcade stuff)

Nels Cline - He's all over the place with many bands, but this is one of my favorite guitar solos of all time. Mainlined serotonin on that one.

Joe Walsh - James Gang and Eagles and solo stuff. Distinctive tone, crunchy, badass, he was a titan of the guitar era.

"Mike McCready and Stone Gossard" (wtf, but ok) - Idk, but I love Pearl Jam and all that grunge shit, so they have to be special.

Dick Dale - Dude invented a thing, that had to shape everyone that came after. He's like the Morello of his era.

Billy Gibbons - Sheer excellence. I'll listen to ZZ any day of the week because of this dude.

John Fogerty - Great tone, plus he did Ramble Tamble.

Knopfler - So eloquent and tasteful. Sublime guitarist. Must be on any such list.

Larry Carlton - Steely Dan yo.

Lifeson - Listen to Red Barchetta and Villa Strangiato...combined the technical mastery of early metal/hard rock with prog and math sensibility, but was utterly musical.

Mick Taylor - Um. Can't You Hear Me Knocking... It says it all.

The Edge - Everyone in the 80s wanted to sound like him once they heard him. All the studio players had to figure out how to copy him.

Greenwood - Too good in the modern era of guitar music to omit.

Clapton - Layla. Dude was like a Knopfler. Just too damned good. I'm actually sort of a low-key Clapton hater, but his shit is just too damned good.

Jack White - Consummate ear for tone.

Frusciante - Genius of composition, carried the McGeoch torch to the mountaintop--the first Beatle of the Chili Peppers if that makes sense. Maybe he just happens to be a guitarist, but whatever. The unspoken reason why the Peppers are more than a fun funk band but are my pick as Greatest American Band. I come back to Under the Bridge (game changer, launched the 90s alt scene on his back along with Navarro and Ferrell)...also his later stuff like Snow (Hey Oh) and The Zephyr Song.

Morello - RATM and Audioslave. He invented a new thing for each song. Ultra tone conscious. Tight AF. Brilliant and tasty.

Duane Allman - I like these 60s/70s slide guitar icons, they move me (Winter and Mick Taylor are the other ones, perhaps Clapton too).

EVH - This is Eddie Van Halen. Hopefully that explains.

Page - Perhaps the most inventive. Always trying new tunings. Incredible musical vision for what the guitar could be. His acoustic stuff, or less distorted stuff, is my fav, and he's way more like a Paul Simon in this mode. Songs like Tangerine, Gallows Pole, Battle of Evermore, Rain Song, Stairway first half, Bron-Y-Aur, Going to CA, Over the Hills and Far Away. But he could tap into that Muddy Waters badassery too. I can't imagine a world without this dude, what a MF titan of music.

*I'm leaving any Beatles guitarist out of this because reasons.
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 10-13-2023 at 06:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

So if I had to highlight the actual bangers...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Jimi
    Gilmour
    Billy Gibbons
    Knopfler
    Larry Carlton
    Lifeson
    Jack White
    Frusciante
    Morello
    EVH
    Page
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information