Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: Dreadnoughts thread on military history

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Just saw Midway, and there was a character so improbably heroic I had to look him up, kind of assuming he had to be an exaggeration. No such - Bruno Gaido was an honest-to-God Hero in every sense of the word, and was quite real. Except Hollywood seems to think all Italians have NYC accents! In any event, good to see Bruno Gaido get his due, because he sure enough earned it, and paid the highest price in the end.

Battle of Midway hero played by Nick Jonas in new film was Milwaukee man

Yes, the sailor portrayed by heartthrob Nick Jonas in the new Hollywood film "Midway" really existed.

And yes, Bruno Gaido was a hero, almost single-handedly saving his ship by shooting down a Japanese bomber before it could crash into the USS Enterprise.

But Jonas' New York accent is all wrong. Gaido grew up in Milwaukee.

"It wasn't right, but whatever," said Gaido's nephew Mike Bortolotti, who served in Vietnam in the Marines. "I'm still in awe of what he did."

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ee/2576626001/
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 12-10-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Midway is one of my favorite films, I refuse to see the new one because i heard it was bad.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    Midway is one of my favorite films, I refuse to see the new one because i heard it was bad.
    Not true at all - FAR superior to the 1975 version. They got the details right, and that matters
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

5. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Not true at all - FAR superior to the 1975 version. They got the details right, and that matters
    Thanks
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information