Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove Thread 08-09

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Hot Stove Thread 08-09

No, this is not about some pregnant chick (for clay).

This is the Hot Stove baseball thread.

I posted this earlier in the Holliday thread, and it was probably the wrong place for it.

These are the free agents MLB has labeled as worth a compensatory pick if they are signed away from their current team:

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    FYI...

A
    Bobby Abreu
    A.J. Burnett
    Orlando Cabrera
    Juan Cruz
    Adam Dunn
    Brian Fuentes
    Trevor Hoffman
    Bob Howry
    Orlando Hudson
    Raul Ibanez
    Derek Lowe
    Mike Mussina
    Darren Oliver
    Oliver Perez
    Andy Pettitte
    Manny Ramirez
    Edgar Renteria
    C.C. Sabathia
    Ben Sheets
    Russ Springer
    Mark Teixeira
    Jason Varitek
    Kerry Wood

B
    Jeremy Affeldt
    Moises Alou
    Garret Anderson
    Luis Ayala
    Joe Beimel
    Casey Blake
    Milton Bradley
    Paul Byrd
    Alan Embree
    Eric Gagne
    Jon Garland
    Luis Gonzalez
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Mark Grudzielanek
    Jason Isringhausen
    Randy Johnson
    Jeff Kent
    Paul Lo Duca
    Braden Looper
    Mark Loretta
    Greg Maddux
    Dennys Reyes
    Ivan Rodriguez
    Brian Shouse
    John Smoltz
    Frank Thomas
    Juan Uribe
    David Weathers
    Randy Wolf
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3713851

Source: Mussina to retire after 18-year career

By Jayson Stark
    ESPN.com

As expected, New York Yankees pitcher Mike Mussina has decided to retire, according to a baseball source with knowledge of the situation. Mussina informed the Yankees last week he would give them a decision by the end of this week.

Mussina, who turns 40 next month, spent the last eight seasons with the Yankees after pitching for the Baltimore Orioles for the first 10 years of his career. His 270 wins rank second among all active right-handers, behind only Greg Maddux. In the final start of his career, he pitched six shutout innings against the Boston Red Sox to finish off the first 20-win season of his career.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, he's just the fifth pitcher since 1900 to win 20 games or more in the final season of his career -- and the first since Sandy Koufax in 1967. He's the only pitcher in that group to win his 20th game in his final start.

The Yankees had indicated they were interested in bringing Mussina back if he wanted to keep pitching. But they had also suggested they might need to wait to see if they could accomplish their goal of signing at least two other free-agent starters this season -- an indication they weren't counting on Mussina to return from the beginning.

His retirement was first reported by FoxSports.com.

Jayson Stark is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

And the one I'm interested in...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3712531

Red Sox send Crisp to Kansas City for Ramirez

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Royals picked up the leadoff hitter they had been seeking, acquiring center fielder Coco Crisp from the Boston Red Sox for reliever Ramon Ramirez on Wednesday.

Kansas City was 12th among 14 AL teams in runs last season and added power last month, obtaining first baseman Mike Jacobs from Florida.

The switch-hitting Crisp gives the Royals speed at the top of the lineup and a superb defender in center field who has World Series experience.

"The speed aspect of it was very important," Royals general manager Dayton Moore said. "I've talked many times about the importance of a balanced lineup, speed at the top and the bottom, and Coco certainly gives us that."

The 29-year-old was the subject of trade rumors for much of last season following the emergence of rookie Jacoby Ellsbury.

The two split time in center, with Crisp hitting .283 with seven homers and 41 RBIs in 98 games. He also stole 20 bases in 27 attempts, the third straight season he's reached the 20-steal mark.

Ellsbury hit .280 with nine homers and 47 RBIs last season, proving to the Red Sox that he's ready to be an everyday player. Boston also gains financial savings by trading Crisp, who's due to make $5.75 million next season in a deal that includes an $8 million club option for 2010 with a $500,000 buyout.

"He played through injuries. He played hard," Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said of Crisp. "With the emergence of Jacoby Ellsbury, we felt like we would be able to find a [backup] outfielder on the market easier than we would find a valuable member of the bullpen."

The Royals got Ramirez, a 27-year-old righty, in a trade with Colorado before last season. They were so impressed with his stuff that they projected him to be their closer.

With a fastball that reaches the mid-90s mph, Ramirez is a power pitcher who seems suited for the late innings. He was one of the primary set-up men for closer Joakim Soria and flourished in that spot, going 3-2 with a 2.64 ERA and 70 strikeouts in 71 2/3 innings.

"He's very quietly had a tremendous amount of success in the major leagues over the last 2½ years," Epstein said.

Ramirez figures to play a set-up role for closer Jonathan Papelbon and could send Justin Masterson back to the rotation, where he feels more comfortable.

"It's a new experience for me to be able to play on a contending club. I know that Boston is going to be in it, as they have in previous years," Ramirez said, speaking through a translator on a conference call. "I couldn't be happier right now. I'm ecstatic."

Masterson was 6-5 with a 3.16 ERA in 36 games as a rookie last season -- 4-3 with a 3.67 ERA in nine starts. As a reliever, he was 2-2 with a 2.36 ERA and worked nine postseason games with a 1.86 ERA and no decisions.

"[He] gives us the flexibility to start Masterson," Epstein said. "Ramirez potentially could replace Masterson in the 'pen."

Boston traded for Crisp after his breakout season -- .333, 15 homers, 69 RBIs -- with Cleveland in 2005. But a broken finger derailed Crisp's first year in Boston and Epstein said his offense never fully recovered.

Crisp has always been a superb fielder and picked up his offense the last half of 2008, hitting .315. He also hit .417 (10-for-24) in the playoffs, driving in the tying run in the eighth inning to complete Boston's comeback from a 7-0 deficit in Game 5 of the AL Championship Series against Tampa Bay.

"I play hard and pretty much stay within myself," said Crisp, a career .280 hitter. "I know what I can and cannot do, and with that I think it makes me a pretty good ballplayer. And to help the team, besides stepping on the field, I can hopefully bring a presence into the clubhouse that will help us win, the attitude of winning."

Epstein said the Red Sox hope to replace Crisp with a right-handed fourth outfielder who can play center. He probably will look outside the organization.

The addition of Crisp could signify more moves for the Royals, as well.

Crisp is expected to be the starter in center and Jose Guillen, the highest-paid player in franchise history, is locked in at right. That means Kansas City will have to find a way to get enough playing time for David DeJesus and Mark Teahen.

The loss of Ramirez also creates a hole in the middle of the bullpen that will likely need to be filled from outside the organization.

"I think it's safe to assume there's possible changes, but if we have to begin the season with the core group we finished the season with, it can be managed easily," Moore said.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Ramirez always had a live arm when he was here... That guy was either lights out unhittable, or he walked 3 and gave up 7 earned runs. There was no middle ground.

I'd rather have an everyday guy like Crisp.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Ramirez always had a live arm when he was here... That guy was either lights out unhittable, or he walked 3 and gave up 7 earned runs. There was no middle ground.

I'd rather have an everyday guy like Crisp.
    The only problem the Royals have is that they have now given up both of their middle relievers/set up men worth a crap for every-day fielders.

Nunez for Mike Jacobs
    Ramirez for Coco (Fruity Pebbles) Crisp

7. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The potential lineup for the Royals now looks like this, and it's better, but its at the expense of decent bullpen pitching:

CF - Coco Crisp
    LF - David DeJesus
    SS - Mike Aviles
    RF - Jose Guillen
    1B - Mike Jacobs
    DH - Billy Butler
    3B - Alex Gordon
    C - Miguel Olivo
    2B - ?

Heh. Coco Crisp. Always made me laugh lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:

Just let Baltimore sign it's home town boys and I'll be happy.

Burnett and Teixiera

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Just let Baltimore sign it's home town boys and I'll be happy.

Burnett and Teixiera
    That would be two really good signings for the O's.

12. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

That would be two really good signings for the O's.
    Well, McPhail openly said they were heavily pursuing those two. For McPhail to use a name...it gives me a good feeling. He rarely says anything so specific and convicting.

I'm sure those two would like to play for their "favorite" team, but I never assume anything when it comes to Angelos.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Well, McPhail openly said they were heavily pursuing those two. For McPhail to use a name...it gives me a good feeling. He rarely says anything so specific and convicting.

I'm sure those two would like to play for their "favorite" team, but I never assume anything when it comes to Angelos.
    Burnett will probably have to take less money to play for the O's and spurn the Sox and Yanks. Not sure if I see that happening. Teixeira, maybe.

Adopted Bronco:

Burnett will probably have to take less money to play for the O's and spurn the Sox and Yanks. Not sure if I see that happening. Teixeira, maybe.
    The O's wont go into the Sox/Yanks range, but they'll be aggressive. I expect both guys to use the Yanks and Sox offers to drive up the offers, but hopefully it doesnt get out of hand and Angelos is willing to spend.

After 10 years of bad decisions, the O's will have to overpay for guys like this, but at some point they have no choice but to pay the money to attempt being a little successful.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

what a class act Coco Crisp is Good luck to him in KC, MB support
    him well, he is definitely different than most of todays athletes.

link http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...th_in_bullpen/

Boy was he classy leaving Boston, here are some of the quotes.

“It’s kind of bittersweet,” Crisp said on a conference call. “I enjoyed playing in a city where the fans are pretty much crazy about the Red Sox. The sweet part comes in where I’m going to an organization where I know I can go out and play pretty much every day, which is what I wanted to do my whole entire life.”

With the trade, they cleared $6.25 million off their 2009 payroll. Epstein conceded that Crisp’s offensive contributions with the Red Sox in his three seasons did not meet expectations, but defensively he “became an elite defender. . . . He’s a pretty darn good player.”

“I would classify (my time with the Red Sox) as a great experience for me,” Crisp said. “I learned on the field and off the field, which helped me grow. I think the one negative aspect that came out of the whole thing was that I was plagued by nagging injuries primarily the whole time I was there with the exception of a month here, a month there and toward the end of this season when I was fully healed. It’s been an up-and-down ride.”

Crisp wishes nothing but the best for Ellsbury.

“(He’s) a guy who needs that opportunity to play every day for everyone to get a sense of what he’s going to bring to the table,” Crisp said. “I think with the year coming up with him playing every day, hopefully he’ll have a great season and be able to show everybody he’s going to be in the big leagues a long time as a starter.

“It’s nice for me to move aside, get out of his way to allow that. The Red Sox [team stats] are allowing that to happen by trading me, and now I have an opportunity to play every day instead of being a filler guy.”

18. The Following User High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The O's wont go into the Sox/Yanks range, but they'll be aggressive. I expect both guys to use the Yanks and Sox offers to drive up the offers, but hopefully it doesnt get out of hand and Angelos is willing to spend.

After 10 years of bad decisions, the O's will have to overpay for guys like this, but at some point they have no choice but to pay the money to attempt being a little successful.
    You'd hate to sign the guy and for him to get injured again...I'm sure Angelos is thinking about that...Its not like he's ever been out for major stretches of time, but he's only got 30-some starts in three times, once of course, was last year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I'm a little surprised to see the Nationals in the running for Teixeira.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information