Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Position by Position - How do the Broncos stack up? Let's talk about it.

Default Position by Position - How do the Broncos stack up? Let's talk about it.

Ok, I know I'm starting to get fan tunnel vision, but when I look around the roster, things aren't as bad as I was expecting. I only have a couple minutes, so I am not going to go in depth, but will drop some thoughts and figure we can run with the conversation from there.

Offense:

QB: Clear question marks here.

RB/FB: Question marks, but with improving line, healthy White, McGahee and Fox's RB scheme, should be servicable or better (Fox claims Broncos will have the most sophisticated running game in the NFL this year). Hard to say where we are with FB. It was said that Fells might play some FB. Will we sign a true FB?

OL: Was it an ESPN insider that called it a strength and referred to them as one of the youngest and most athletic lines in the league, or something like that. I'm not sold yet, as the two second year players struggled often last year, and Franklin is an unknown.

WR: Lloyd looks to be in the same form as last year, based on camp reports, and Royal appears healthy and fast (reports again). This group can be anywhere from average to a strength, depending on what happens with Decker, Anderson, and the young guys. If DT comes back healthy, this group should eventually be a "strength"

TE: This was looking very week, but possibly up with the new signings. Based on the signings (big guys), it looks like there will be an emphasis blocking from the tight ends. Obviously, if Julius Thomas looks as good in games as he has shown in practice, he could make it an exciting position.

Defense:

DE. How will Doom fair moving back to end? How will Ayers play at end? They could be great speed rushers, or one or both of them could slip into a rotational spot (don't see Doom being relegated to pass rush spots only). In Hunter, Ayers and Beal we have three tweener type DE's, with Doom being more of a midget as some on here like to refer to him.

DT: It would seem that at the moment, the question is do our existing guys perform better moving back to a 4-3 and under Fox's tutelage. It's possible we will still pick up a DT or two, but at the moment, it doesn't look like any impact players have been added.

LB's: With Von Miller and DJ on the outside, I expect a lot of plays to be made from our OLB spots. Early reports on Miller are impressive, and we need the number two overall pick to make an impact right away. That leaves the big question at MLB and whether Irving or Mays can step up. Assuming Mays or Irving can be serviceable, this should be an area of strength unless Miller struggles as a rookie (which could easily happen).

S: Big questions here. With the release of Hill, that would indicate they probably are hoping Moore can start right away. He's impressed in practice. How much does Dawkins have left? Can McBath, McCarthy or Bruton play at starter level if Moore isn't ready? I would say there is upside potential here, but enough questions that it could be anywhere from weak to strength.

C: Wow, the Cox impregnation is a blow to this group. Even if he avoids jail, he surely will be playing distracted. Will the Broncos want to commit to him being a starter or major piece, knowing he may be gone? I assumed he would fight Goodman for the spot opposite Champ, but now I'm not sure. Obviously, Champ alone elevates the corners a bunch, since he allows coverage help to be rolled to the other side. However, Goodman is serviceable at best. I'm not sure Thompson is more than a dime back (although he showed nice flashes last year), and see Vaughn as more of a fill in/dime guy. So, I'm not really sure where to rate this. I don't see this being a weakness, but there are enough questions for it not to be a strength.

So, there are definitely questions up and down the starting lineup, but I don't see many "we are going to be awful in this area" spots.

2. The Following 7 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

WTF, you guys are leaving me hanging here. No thoughts? No comments on where you think the individual positions stand?

all i can say is maybe a 6-10 season

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Sydquan Thompson baby.....Sydquan Thompson.....defense solved !

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

i predict our D will be better than last......

7. The Following User High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Too bad Cox is such a loser off the field.
    TE has become a strength IMO. Julius Thomas looks to be an impact player. That could be huge.
    Fells will mean the end to Dick Quinn. Goodbye to another Mcd blunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Too bad Cox is such a loser off the field.
    TE has become a strength IMO. Julius Thomas looks to be an impact player. That could be huge.
    Fells will mean the end to Dick Quinn. Goodbye to another Mcd blunder.
    It sounds like the big question with Julius Thomas (JT as they are now referring to him) is how much time it will take him to get polished. He appears to be fast with natural talent, but only played something like one year of college ball.

OL: Was it an ESPN insider that called it a strength and referred to them as one of the youngest and most athletic lines in the league, or something like that. I'm not sold yet, as the two second year players struggled often last year, and Franklin is an unknown.
    think you meant two Rookies that they will be second year players

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    WTF, you guys are leaving me hanging here. No thoughts? No comments on where you think the individual positions stand?
    Don't mean to leave you danglin', but I thought you did a fine job. Thanks Moderator.

I would love to see Irving and Miller flying around their LB positions. I also would love to see the rookies playing outfield with Dawkins barking in their ears. We won't be winning the SB this year. Let's get the youngin's out there to see what they can do. We have a few solid team leaders with Dawk and Champ on the Defense, and just maybe, Tebow on the offense. We may lose alot, but I'm excited to see what we have. We lost much of our exciting young players over the last two years. I think this year we have much of that back.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    think you meant two Rookies that they will be second year players
    They are second year players this year, which is what I meant. Anything constructive to add to the thread?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I think you're break down is good, and that unfortunately there are still far more questions than answers which isn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I think you're break down is good, and that unfortunately there are still far more questions than answers which isn't good.
    Kind of ironic, but the more I'm looking/thinking about the front seven, I think that could wind up being a strength.

I have always thought M. Thomas had more to offer than he's been showing, based on how he's been used -- or not used. He could actually provide a perpetrator role from the DT spot, and Vickerson while not a world beater, has shown an ability to pressure the QB.

I think in terms of getting to the QB, this year's DT's have the best chance in years, because teams are going to have to put blockers on Miller and Doom. So, that leaves us with the question of whether they can stop the run. If I was to bet, I think that between Thomas, Vickerson, McBean, Harvey and whoever else they wind up picking up, the DT rotation will be just fine with the scheme that Fox and company puts in place.

However, what I'm real excited about is the outside. Doom and DJ on one side, Miller and Ayers on the other. I think the outside backers and ends could wreak havoc on the QB and on outside runs.

15. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Kind of ironic, but the more I'm looking/thinking about the front seven, I think that could wind up being a strength.

I have always thought M. Thomas had more to offer than he's been showing, based on how he's been used -- or not used. He could actually provide a perpetrator role from the DT spot, and Vickerson while not a world beater, has shown an ability to pressure the QB.

I think in terms of getting to the QB, this year's DT's have the best chance in years, because teams are going to have to put blockers on Miller and Doom. So, that leaves us with the question of whether they can stop the run. If I was to bet, I think that between Thomas, Vickerson, McBean, Harvey and whoever else they wind up picking up, the DT rotation will be just fine with the scheme that Fox and company puts in place.

However, what I'm real excited about is the outside. Doom and DJ on one side, Miller and Ayers on the other. I think the outside backers and ends could wreak havoc on the QB and on outside runs.
    I agree our edge rushers could end up being a lot of fun to watch. If our defensive tackles can just stop run we will be ok.

we still suck. 4-12 team with DT being a need and we pick up none. QB circus , lloyd is the only bright spot on offense. A lot of rookies on defense could take time to gel.

So as of right now i see us right where we ended last year
    Back 2 Back Patches on my jacket/ Orange Zippers
    Super Bowl 50 witness

2019 Broncos Pick’em Champion
    2021 Broncos Pick’em Champion

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

For me it's coaching vs. talent.

Our OL was coached by a tight-end coach whose inadequate, minor-college blocking schemes and bad instruction might have made all the OL look inept. Are they actually inept, or just poorly used?

Magazu is a FAR better OL coach - can he coach these guys up to their potential, or over it as a unit?

Same with the defense - can we coach those guys in the middle up to being adequate or do we require studs to make it work?

*shrugs* I know how I feel about the different groups in isolation, not counting coaching or scheme.

I need to see scheme and usage to know how I feel about the team, most of which I won't see until the regular season.

Which makes preseason worry-free for me, I guess.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information