Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Interview tomorrow, what might they ask?(programmer)

Default Interview tomorrow, what might they ask?(programmer)

I have a job interview tomorrow for a programmer position.

The responsibilities for the job will be asp.net developer in VB and writing SQL queries.

I have never used VB, I am trained in C# and they know this, they want me to interview still.

I am trying to cram on concepts to make sure I come across well in the interview, even trying to cram a bit on VB to show it won't take me long to get into the syntax.

If anyone has interviewed for a similar position in the past what are the types of questions you have been asked?

2. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I don't understand any of that tech gibberish that you just wrote about, but I have no trouble recognizing that you may be psyching yourself out. If you’re truly qualified for the job, you will know how to answer any question that they throw at you. You just need to relax, take a deep breath, get a good night sleep, eat a good leisurely breakfast in the morning and go with the flow when it’s show time.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

My problem is I am a much better programmer when I am sitting down with a computer and my IDE and writing the code.

I clam up a bit when someone is drilling me with questions

Definitely nervous as I want the job and in my town this opportunity seldom comes up

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My problem is I am a much better programmer when I am sitting down with a computer and my IDE and writing the code.

I clam up a bit when someone is drilling me with questions

Definitely nervous as I want the job and in my town this opportunity seldom comes up
    Do you really think it was any different for all of the previous programs that they've interviewed? If the interview is half way competent to interview you, he/she will know how to find out just how good you really are.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

8. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rod Smith

They will probably ask you some SQL questions, like:

1. How do you match up a table of customer records with all of their orders from last month, but return the customer record even if they didn't have any orders last month? (outer join)
    2. How do you sum up how many orders each customer made last month and the amount they spent? (group by, and sum())
    3. How do you get a list of customers making sure you get each customer only once? (select distinct)

Then if they ask you what you think is the most important thing to remember about programming in asp.net, I always say remember to use 'cursor.MoveNext' when looping through a recordset so you don't create an infinite loop and have to wait for the web server to time out your connection before you can do anything else.

I've been asked those SQL questions at almost every interview, and the ASP question a couple of times at ASP interviews.

And be prepared for them to ask you something you don't know. Just admit you don't know and ask for the answer so you can add it to your toolkit.

10. The Following 5 Users High Fived Hardwired For This Post:

Thank you for the advice, seems you feel SQL will be the most important aspect to them so I will focus most of my refresher time on that.

My father in law told me the other day when we were discussing something he has seen me do quite a few times and I told him I was going to read back on it before the interview that I should know that all about it

My response to him is there is simply too many programming parts to remember them all when be asked on the spot.

Generally my practice is to save examples of anything I ever do in any type of coding in a flash drive so that if I am coding something and forget exactly what I am to do I just look to my code reference. That won't be available in the interview though.

Not sure what other peoples technique is but with working with C#, JavaScript, SQL, XNA, Unity, HTML, CSS, and all the other tid bits I use regularly I just can't remember every little definition and procedure at every given time.

Which is why I am nervous for a spoken interview

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Good luck tomorrow with your interview Rick. If they ask you a question, you do not quite understand, either ask them to repeat it, or after they ask the question, just say - do you mean (fill in the blanks), as their terminology may be a little different from what you are used to.

Maybe this link will help:

http://www.google.com/search?q=sql+i...ient=firefox-a
    Last edited by Denver Native (Carol); 07-31-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

13. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

where do you see yourself in 5 years?

celebrating the 5 year anniversary of you asking me this question.

-mitch hedberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived shank For This Post:

Good luck, Rick!

17. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Thanks for the support and advice.

Interviewers were laid back, friendly, outgoing.

Went real well, they definitely felt and liked the fact that I am hungry.

Still have others to interview so won't know for awhile, but all through the interview they were talking like I had the job.

Didn't say things like if we put you in this position, they used more of the mannerisms that I would be working for them.

Might just be fishing for things in simple grammar though...

All in all it was positive though, so now I just need to wait...ugh.

19. The Following 9 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I was dead sure I had two positions last year because they spoke like I already had the position and they opted for somebody else less qualified whom they wouldn't have to pay as much, so be confident but not overconfident.

Don't close other options while you're waiting for this one. If another prospective employer shows interest, be honest and tell them both that you have been speaking to another company. It can sometimes help close the deal more quickly.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

I still have a job, been at company I am at for 10 years now.

I just really want to wake up someday and actually clock in at a job and do work that I actually enjoy for a change

23. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I still have a job, been at company I am at for 10 years now.

I just really want to wake up someday and actually clock in at a job and do work that I actually enjoy for a change
    I know the feeling

25. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Thanks for the support and advice.

Interviewers were laid back, friendly, outgoing.

Went real well, they definitely felt and liked the fact that I am hungry.

Still have others to interview so won't know for awhile, but all through the interview they were talking like I had the job.

Didn't say things like if we put you in this position, they used more of the mannerisms that I would be working for them.

Might just be fishing for things in simple grammar though...

All in all it was positive though, so now I just need to wait...ugh.
    Good that the interview went well. If you have not - send them a thank you for the interview email.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/thanky...nkyouemail.htm

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

27. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Rick if you need help with VBulletin, PM me. I am a pro.

29. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information