Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Holliday Traded

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I wish. He's an unrestricted free agent. He's gonna walk without us seeing anything. I think MLB has a compensatory draft pick system similar to the NFL where we'll get a later round pick, but that's little consolation for losing a top closer/setup pitcher.
    It would be nice if the Rockies just signed him

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    It would be nice if the Rockies just signed him
    Agreed, but that ship has already sailed. Fuentes' agent said he will not be back with the team next year.

I think F will be a decently tiered free agent. I'm not sure if he'd be A, B or C -- but you'll get a pick for any good player of yours that signs elsewhere in FA. The higher your tier on the A/B/C scale -- the higher the compensatory selection. Baseball rules, drafts and all that stuff is just totally weird and foreign.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    I think F will be a decently tiered free agent. I'm not sure if he'd be A, B or C -- but you'll get a pick for any good player of yours that signs elsewhere in FA. The higher your tier on the A/B/C scale -- the higher the compensatory selection. Baseball rules, drafts and all that stuff is just totally weird and foreign.
    Pretty basic actually. They'll set the A, B or C through an arbitrator and then its either 1st, 2nd or 3rd round compensatory.

Fuentes is an A

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/featur...ts?season=2008
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

FYI...

A
    Bobby Abreu
    A.J. Burnett
    Orlando Cabrera
    Juan Cruz
    Adam Dunn
    Brian Fuentes
    Trevor Hoffman
    Bob Howry
    Orlando Hudson
    Raul Ibanez
    Derek Lowe
    Mike Mussina
    Darren Oliver
    Oliver Perez
    Andy Pettitte
    Manny Ramirez
    Edgar Renteria
    C.C. Sabathia
    Ben Sheets
    Russ Springer
    Mark Teixeira
    Jason Varitek
    Kerry Wood

B
    Jeremy Affeldt
    Moises Alou
    Garret Anderson
    Luis Ayala
    Joe Beimel
    Casey Blake
    Milton Bradley
    Paul Byrd
    Alan Embree
    Eric Gagne
    Jon Garland
    Luis Gonzalez
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Mark Grudzielanek
    Jason Isringhausen
    Randy Johnson
    Jeff Kent
    Paul Lo Duca
    Braden Looper
    Mark Loretta
    Greg Maddux
    Dennys Reyes
    Ivan Rodriguez
    Brian Shouse
    John Smoltz
    Frank Thomas
    Juan Uribe
    David Weathers
    Randy Wolf

(P.S. I'm wrong, there is no "C")
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

This article was written on 11-13 - maybe things have changed since this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...2008&fext=.jsp

Rox hope to retain free agent Fuentes
    With market on closers slim, O'Dowd to offer arbitration to lefty

DENVER -- Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd's attempt to move forward with his roster might mean looking to the immediate past -- to left-handed closer Brian Fuentes.

Fuentes, who earned 30 saves in 2008 and holds the club record with 115, has filed for free agency, with the expectation of receiving a big offer on the open market. However, with several clubs looking for closers and many closers either looking for work or available via trade, O'Dowd said Wednesday the Rockies will offer Fuentes arbitration on the off chance he will accept.

If a free agent accepts an arbitration offer, he is treated just like any other arbitration-eligible player -- mostly those with more than three years and fewer than six years of Major League service. The sides submit figures and negotiate a deal or have a three-judge arbitration panel choose either side's salary offer and assign it to the player.

The offer of arbitration to Fuentes, 33, also is a reflection on the economy, which affects all aspects of society, Major League teams included.

"We feel good about offering Brian Fuentes arbitration, because you never know what will happen," O'Dowd said. "There are a lot of closers on the market. This week you had Trevor Hoffman (whose offer by the Padres was withdrawn) added to the number of guys, and in this economy, you never know what the future will bring."

O'Dowd is in position to add to the intrigue involving closers. The Rockies obtained former Athletics closer Huston Street, along with left-handed starter Greg Smith and outfield prospect Carlos Gonzalez, for left fielder Matt Holliday in a deal completed Wednesday.

With other teams knowing the Rockies also have Manuel Corpas, who supplanted Fuentes as closer in 2007 but lost the job back to him in 2008, O'Dowd is receiving calls from other teams about Street.

In other developments:

• The Rockies had expressed interest in retaining two other free agents, left-handed pitcher Glendon Rusch and reserve outfielder Scott Podsednik, but O'Dowd backed slightly away from that Wednesday.

"We have such respect for the two of them as veterans, but we want to make sure there is an opportunity and a role for them here," O'Dowd said. "It's early in the offseason and we don't know where we're going to end up."

• O'Dowd said the Rockies will not be a player in the free-agent market for top-level starting pitching. He said he is looking for such a talent in a trade, but he believes it may play out that the Rockies possess what they need to augment the front of their rotation -- Aaron Cook, Jeff Francis and Ubaldo Jimenez.

Hot Stove
    Young left-hander Franklin Morales, who helped the team to the 2007 World Series during a late-season callup but flamed out last April, has given up one run in his last three games in Venezuela in winter ball. O'Dowd recognized him as the type of talent who can transform the rotation.

"That guy could be down in Venezuela, where he threw six shutout innings the other night," O'Dowd said. "He could be working out down in Florida, the way Greg Reynolds is. He could be working out downstairs [at Coors Field]."

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

This is the latest I could find about Fuentes, but this is not coming from the Rockies, its coming from the Mets.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...,1378641.story

Mets have choice of either K-Rod or Fuentes

BY KEN DAVIDOFF | ken.davidoff@newsday.com
    November 19, 2008

The Mets have many goals and many choices in this baseball offseason, but as they take in the lay of the land now, they think they know this:

Acquiring a closer will be first on their list of accomplishments.

They will sign either Francisco Rodriguez or Brian Fuentes to be their closer. Whom they sign will depend on the contract terms.

The free-agent market on closers has diminished to where the Mets, the only big-market team looking for an elite reliever, should have their pick of either K-Rod or Fuentes, the top two available options. Though clubs such as Milwaukee and Texas will be shopping for a closer, as well, the struggling economy has limited many clubs' budgets.

Mets officials carry concerns about both of their candidates. Fuentes, more obviously, is 33, and he lost his closer's job in 2007 as the Rockies reached the World Series. For K-Rod, the Mets have asked around the industry about the 26-year-old's mechanics, his arm strength and why the Angels don't appear particularly interested in retaining him.

Rodriguez still hasn't sent his medical records to interested teams, his agent, Paul Kinzer, said yesterday. "There's no problem," Kinzer said. "It was just [the Angels] needed different forms than what we sent to other teams, for some reason."

The Mets expressed some interest in free agent Kerry Wood, and they asked in trade discussions about the White Sox's Bobby Jenks, Seattle's J.J. Putz and Colorado's Huston Street. However, they are wary of Wood's injury history, and they'd rather pay the money for the free agents than give up prospects in a trade.

They'll land their closer first, they believe, because their top options for starting pitcher will take longer to sign. The Mets' own Oliver Perez and Derek Lowe, most recently with the Dodgers, both are represented by Scott Boras, and will draw significant interest. Boras typically tries to use the clock to his advantage in offseason negotiations, even if it means taking a client into the new year without an employer.

Meanwhile, the Mets continue to maintain communication with free agent Raul Ibaņez, who interests them as an outfield bat, but they'll face competition for the 36-year-old. The Phillies, the defending World Series champions, have expressed interest in Ibaņez, who could replace free agent Pat Burrell in leftfield. So have the Dodgers, who could sign Ibaņez if they can't retain Manny Ramirez, the Cubs, the Royals and the Mariners, with whom Ibaņez spent the past five years.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information