Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Holliday Traded

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Whoops, somehow I posted half of that post a little while ago...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

Holliday is a prospective MVP before he retires....He is one of those players you build around...Not trade for more potential Matt Holliday's..

BAD, BAD move imho...

I feel for you fans...

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Holliday is a prospective MVP before he retires....He is one of those players you build around...Not trade for more potential Matt Holliday's..

BAD, BAD move imho...

I feel for you fans...
    It's just typical small-market BS...surprised the A's were the trade partner, though. That is kind of interesting.

If its Gonzalez, its at least a top prospect.

The Rockies gave him a pretty good deal, it just wasn't 10 years, $20 mil per...So his dick-ass agent Boras tells him to decline it.

Boras is a money-grubbing whore, and it tells me, unfortunately, Matt is too. If he wanted to be great he'd of signed the deal and made himself a home in Colorado and become the greatest Rockie ever. But, he didn't...

Seriously, WTF are you gonna do with $20 mil per? I mean, seriously? What's the difference between $18 and $20. That's just ***EDIT*** ridiculous.
    Last edited by topscribe; 11-10-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: CIRCUMVENTING LANGUAGE FILTER
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

As much as it would be nice to have signed Holliday long term, the Rockies either couldn't or chose not to. Might as well get a couple top prospects back in return. I think they might have gotten more for him had they waited until mid-season but that also includes risking him getting hurt. Trading all-star players usually doesn't kill franchises. Look at how the Marlins built their 2nd world series team, and then they traded away all those players and have a nice little stockpile of young talent they got in return.

The one thing I don't like about trades like this is you are trading a proven commodity and fan favorite for unproven players no one knows much about. Fans don't usually like the trades at first, but you just have to be patient and let the talent develop. We won't know how this trade pans out for the Rockies for several seasons. One thing it does do is frees up a lot of salary for them to spend locking up other players or signing free agents.

I'm a Braves fan, and I believe the Rockies got more in return for Holliday than Atlanta did for Mark Teixeira earlier this year, and one could argue Teixeira is a better all around player. He is about to cash in on a huge contract thanks to his agent, the infamous Scott Boras.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by ChampWJ View Post
    As much as it would be nice to have signed Holliday long term, the Rockies either couldn't or chose not to. Might as well get a couple top prospects back in return. I think they might have gotten more for him had they waited until mid-season but that also includes risking him getting hurt. Trading all-star players usually doesn't kill franchises. Look at how the Marlins built their 2nd world series team, and then they traded away all those players and have a nice little stockpile of young talent they got in return.

The one thing I don't like about trades like this is you are trading a proven commodity and fan favorite for unproven players no one knows much about. Fans don't usually like the trades at first, but you just have to be patient and let the talent develop. We won't know how this trade pans out for the Rockies for several seasons. One thing it does do is frees up a lot of salary for them to spend locking up other players or signing free agents.

I'm a Braves fan, and I believe the Rockies got more in return for Holliday than Atlanta did for Mark Teixeira earlier this year, and one could argue Teixeira is a better all around player. He is about to cash in on a huge contract thanks to his agent, the infamous Scott Boras.
    That's the part I reject... You don't "choose" not to sign a once-in-a-decade franchise player, and potential HOF'er. Especially when you're in a mid to large sized market in Colorado. Don't let anyone convince you Colorado is a "small market" team.

It's crap, and the fact that the Monforts are too cheap to sign him (or anyone else for that matter) makes me sick as a fan. That's the thing, if they were freeing up money to go sign a top-tier starting pitcher, then by all means I'd understand. But they're just freeing up money for their profit margin... Not to sign anybody of real value.

It's a recurring theme, and we are destined to make the World Series once every 20 years when we can reel off 30 in a row to end the season. Then we'll lose, because we don't pay pitchers (or hitters, apparently).

7. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Definitely not happy about this. Atkins will be gone soon as well so it will be up to Tulo and Stewart to carry this team, then they will trade Stewart, etc.. never ending cycle.

Smith is a decent prospect, Street is legit, and Gonzales has potential, and it is interesting with Fowler in the outfield can you have two outfielders that are built more for speed? Interesting to see how that works out.

I am not in the mood to dive into this and try and look at the bright side at the mometn, just upset. Helton deal scared them from giving Holliday big bucks for sure.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

It sucks, but we all knew it was going to happen. I was surprised that Holliday even finished last season in a Rockies uniform. I hate the ownership as well, but the writing has been on the wall for months.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    It sucks, but we all knew it was going to happen. I was surprised that Holliday even finished last season in a Rockies uniform. I hate the ownership as well, but the writing has been on the wall for months.
    He probably was worth more on the trade deadline than he was in the off-season deal...

Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    He probably was worth more on the trade deadline than he was in the off-season deal...

Just saying...
    I agree. Too bad the NL west was so pathetic that the Rocks still had a chance and wanted to keep him for a possible run......
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

I still can't comprehend what logic went into this move? I am glad we don't have to face the Dodger killer any more, but this was a blow to my fellow Broncos fans...I can't help but to feel bad for you guys.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Benetto For This Post:

#$#$#$#%$%^%^

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Everyone's reporting a deal has been reached in principle between the Rockies and A's for the A's to get Holliday, a future hall of famer...

The players the Rockies will receive are still being worked out-- but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the mediocre players we receive in return won't come close to matching Holliday's production...

One more reason every Rockies fan should pray the Monfort's will sell this team. They operate like a small market team despite living in a large market and having the money to do more....

I ******* hate the Rockies front office. Hate them.
    Buff that sucks man.

I feel bad for the Rocky fans I really do.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    I still can't comprehend what logic went into this move? I am glad we don't have to face the Dodger killer any more, but this was a blow to my fellow Broncos fans...I can't help but to feel bad for you guys.
    now if we can only get SD to get rid of Peavy then we'd be all set Benetto

and for the Rox fans. This is not a good day and I really feel for you honestly

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

No one will be crying when the "potential HOF'er" and "once in a decade franchise player" plateaus outside Coors Field and starts the downside of his career, and Street/Gonzalez are making all-star teams or have been traded to acquire other impact players. That might not happen but the possibility is there for this trade to pan out that way.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Rockies and Holliday was a great player, but I feel his stardom was a little overstated by the fans. I have more respect for a lesser player willing to give the team that gave him a chance a discount than any Scott Boras ($$$$ above all) client.

This is just the way baseball has gotten. As a Braves fan, I have grown accustomed to watching our best players either leave as free agents or be traded. Maddux, Drew, Sheffield, Teixeira, Furcal, Justice, etc. You can't always keep every all star or every fan favorite. You just have to try and get what you can to replace them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    Last edited by ChampWJ; 11-10-2008 at 09:43 PM.

21. The Following User High Fived ChampWJ For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChampWJ View Post
    Huston Street was AL Rookie of the Year in 2005. He had 23 saves that year with a 1.72 ERA. He followed it up with 37 saves in 2006. He started to get a few nagging injuries after that, and lost his closer job last season but still had a good year statistically. He has 271 k's in 269 career innings, which is a really good stat to look at for closers. Also, for his career, opponents have only batted .215 against him, another good stat.

He has been considered one of the top pitching prospects in the league for several seasons, and should replace Fuentes really nicely.

Edit: Street was a first round pick of the A's in 2004 and pitched in all of 12 minor league games before taking over as Oakland's closer in 2005.

I think the Rox got 40 cents on the dollar. Street is okay and Gonzales is a propect. Holliday is a beast and one of the best 5 hitters in baseball.

23. The Following User High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information