Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Posting Rules and Guidelines- moved from Questions/Clarification thread

Default Discussion of Posting Rules and Guidelines- moved from Questions/Clarification thread

Due to the number of posts in the thread intended for rules questions/clarifications that were instead stating opinions about how the rules were created, morality of the rules, whether cursing on forums is appropriate, etc., I have moved those posts to this thread and this will be the place to voice opinions of that type.

The Questions/Clarifications thread should be used for questions and a need for clarification of specific rules.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

I know I told a few of you I won't be posting here.

Sorry for breaking my word.

(for the record, this is not in anyway related to any other activities elsewhere... I have been contemplating this for days)

I have been waiting since this site's inception to see what rules this wonderful group would come up with to define how their boards would be run. The initial idea was to allow the community to decide how this place would exist. I could and would if asked argue the wisdom in that in another thread, but in theory it's exciting and itriguing. Having moderated before and having fielded many complaints myself, I was curious how this particular community would set itself. What it wanted, etc... now having the ability to decide for itself.

I don't know who sat down and set up these rules... the Jedi counsil, Admin, the mods, or all of the above or some other combination.

I understand why you put together a steering comittee of sorts. You can't have a discussion between 400 members and be productive. A republic rather than true democracy. Very American.

I do think that maybe a fair amount of feedback should have been asked for or given from the entire populace at the original state of what rules to apply here, as that's a one time thing, and this is the only chance for them to guide that part of the forum. Maybe that happened and I didn't know... in which case I'm sorry I brought it up.

I am however surprised that there's no posts in this thread. Everyone was happy with the idea of driving this forum and giving input to help shape it. Yet the rules go up and nobody has any comment pro or con? I'm honestly shocked. I was partially waiting to respond to see if anyone would get around to questions or support here.

Does nobody else have comment on the way this place is set up?

I'm not even planning on being a regular poster on this site, and I feel like I have to throw my 2 cents in.

9. Moderators decision's are NOT to be questioned in public. If a moderator closes a thread, do not start another one with the same topic. If you have a question for a moderator on a decision, you can send a PM and discuss it privately. We all may not see things the same way, we do understand that. Please understand, we do things we think are right for the site but are approachable.
    I think this is a mistake.

I can understand that it gets old seeing threads about why a thread was closed or deleted. I can understand not wanting to even respond. I can understand making policy against moderators commenting publicly about policy decisions or disciplanary action.

But to say that Moderators cannot be questioned in public? You don't have to respond, heck... you even have the ability to delete their public comment if you feel they are going over the line.

If this forum is supposed to exist to be for the members and driven by the members, the way it's ran should be allowed to be talked about publically. I'm not saying that you have to be put up with childish attacks calling the administration clowns. You don't even have to respond if you don't want to. Just don't make it against the rules to talk about what's going on.

Like I said... I'm not now, nor will I likely ever be a regular poster on this forum. My opinion doesn't really matter.

But the rest of the Boards' should. I'm surprised nobody's spoken up.

/rant. You can delete this now.

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    I know I told a few of you I won't be posting here.

Sorry for breaking my word.

(for the record, this is not in anyway related to any other activities elsewhere... I have been contemplating this for days)

I have been waiting since this site's inception to see what rules this wonderful group would come up with to define how their boards would be run. The initial idea was to allow the community to decide how this place would exist. I could and would if asked argue the wisdom in that in another thread, but in theory it's exciting and itriguing. Having moderated before and having fielded many complaints myself, I was curious how this particular community would set itself. What it wanted, etc... now having the ability to decide for itself.

I don't know who sat down and set up these rules... the Jedi counsil, Admin, the mods, or all of the above or some other combination.

I understand why you put together a steering comittee of sorts. You can't have a discussion between 400 members and be productive. A republic rather than true democracy. Very American.

I do think that maybe a fair amount of feedback should have been asked for or given from the entire populace at the original state of what rules to apply here, as that's a one time thing, and this is the only chance for them to guide that part of the forum. Maybe that happened and I didn't know... in which case I'm sorry I brought it up.

I am however surprised that there's no posts in this thread. Everyone was happy with the idea of driving this forum and giving input to help shape it. Yet the rules go up and nobody has any comment pro or con? I'm honestly shocked. I was partially waiting to respond to see if anyone would get around to questions or support here.

Does nobody else have comment on the way this place is set up?

I'm not even planning on being a regular poster on this site, and I feel like I have to throw my 2 cents in.

I think this is a mistake.

I can understand that it gets old seeing threads about why a thread was closed or deleted. I can understand not wanting to even respond. I can understand making policy against moderators commenting publicly about policy decisions or disciplanary action.

But to say that Moderators cannot be questioned in public? You don't have to respond, heck... you even have the ability to delete their public comment if you feel they are going over the line.

If this forum is supposed to exist to be for the members and driven by the members, the way it's ran should be allowed to be talked about publically. I'm not saying that you have to be put up with childish attacks calling the administration clowns. You don't even have to respond if you don't want to. Just don't make it against the rules to talk about what's going on.

Like I said... I'm not now, nor will I likely ever be a regular poster on this forum. My opinion doesn't really matter.

But the rest of the Boards' should. I'm surprised nobody's spoken up.

/rant. You can delete this now.
    I certainly don't want to delete it and appreciate the feedback. I have also been surprised that there have been no comments up to this point. The rules were agreed upon by the board, and put up because we needed a starting point. I fully expected feedback and as any specific feedback came up, like yours, we would then initiate discussion on any specific points, as needed.

Anyone that has worked in a team environment, especially team editing, in the workplace knows how challenging it is. Coming up with this setup of rules and guidelines actually took quite a while.

So, I have been checking this thread every day, waiting for some feedback and hopefully you started that ball rolling.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    I certainly don't want to delete it and appreciate the feedback. I have also been surprised that there have been no comments up to this point. The rules were agreed upon by the board, and put up because we needed a starting point. I fully expected feedback and as any specific feedback came up, like yours, we would then initiate discussion on any specific points, as needed.

Anyone that has worked in a team environment, especially team editing, in the workplace knows how challenging it is. Coming up with this setup of rules and guidelines actually took quite a while.

So, I have been checking this thread every day, waiting for some feedback and hopefully you started that ball rolling.
    Thanks Tned. I hope some people read and respond. I'll stop in now and then to see if anyone has any comments to me. I love the posters here, and hope for the best for all of you... that's why I even bothered to stop in.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

LT - we appreciate your feedback, as well as any other feedback. These rules/guidelines are not set in stone, and as tned said, we felt we needed to get them posted, and welcome all feedback from members, which will definitely be considered.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    LT - we appreciate your feedback, as well as any other feedback. These rules/guidelines are not set in stone, and as tned said, we felt we needed to get them posted, and welcome all feedback from members, which will definitely be considered.
    Thanks for not banning me Carol.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Thanks for not banning me Carol.
    Oh LT - you have a long ways to go - you only have 1,000 infraction points, and you need 2,000 to get banned

Of course, I am joking, but no reason to ban you - YET

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

i'm a dummy, i just noticed this. . .

trych, the forums homepage has been re-arranged once if not several times, so those of us who jump right into GD may take a while to find and read this kinda stuff-- i'll read it sometime next week, and provide feedback if i have any. . . but i would say that you have to start somewhere, and i for one don't object to them setting up an initial rule structure, as long as it's open to change at a latter date. . .

also. . . feel free to stop by and post if you feel like it, regardless of what you may have said in the past. . . i clearly can't speak for everyone, but i know i can speak for quite a few in saying that, while you mods took a good number of hits over on BM (a lot of them blatantly unfair, IMO), plenty of us still appreciate the time you donated to that site-- i think most people would welcome you over here, and if a few don't. . . tough!

oh, and tned. . . i think this forum should probably be moved to the top of the homepage, so newbies to the site will see it before they jump in feetfirst and start posting god knows what atrocities. . . .

“When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    i'm a dummy, i just noticed this. . .

trych, the forums homepage has been re-arranged once if not several times, so those of us who jump right into GD may take a while to find and read this kinda stuff-- i'll read it sometime next week, and provide feedback if i have any. . . but i would say that you have to start somewhere, and i for one don't object to them setting up an initial rule structure, as long as it's open to change at a latter date. . .

also. . . feel free to stop by and post if you feel like it, regardless of what you may have said in the past. . . i clearly can't speak for everyone, but i know i can speak for quite a few in saying that, while you mods took a good number of hits over on BM (a lot of them blatantly unfair, IMO), plenty of us still appreciate the time you donated to that site-- i think most people would welcome you over here, and if a few don't. . . tough!

oh, and tned. . . i think this forum should probably be moved to the top of the homepage, so newbies to the site will see it before they jump in feetfirst and start posting god knows what atrocities. . . .

Cosigned!

Oh, and thanks for the interest you're taking in this board, Dogfish. It is
    great to have a quality poster such as you so active here.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

I agree 100% and believe the vast, vast majority of other posters would also agree.

Good point. Until yseterday, I had it at top near the "news feed", but moved it into the Town Hall when I made the other forum structure changes. I might need to move it bac.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Rules were made for one reason and one reason only.............

..to be BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Although I feel some of the rules are a bit strict for a board that was supposed to be by the people, for the people, I will abide by them (as well as i can ) to my best abilities for I feel it is an honor to be here - not a right - and if I dont like something than I can get the _____ out

I would like to make one suggestion though -

Delete any and all threads that the thread starter states "I was just joking - i wanted to see what you were going to say"

Personally, I find that very annoying - just my
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    darrell jackson!!

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    Please post in this thread any questions or clarification you may need regarding the posting rules and guidelines.

When replying, please indicate if your question pertains to the Rules or Guidelines section, and post the corresponding number.
    I dont like when I start a thread and mention something someone shoots back at me with a comment so i try to state my point..then i get warned by a mont. that they do not stand for this and can get me banned..WHY?????
    i am going to affend myself..let us have a little play time..

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by broncos9697 View Post
    I dont like when I start a thread and mention something someone shoots back at me with a comment so i try to state my point..then i get warned by a mont. that they do not stand for this and can get me banned..WHY?????
    Examples?

One thing so far about this site that I like and hope stays is that there are less people here than the Mane and BM. It feels like a more tight knit group and quite a bit higher quality. It seems more laid back here and that is one thing that I hope stays. Yes, there are younger people here, but there are probably other websites that they visit that are probably quite a bit more vulgar and obscene than this board. I thing the language filters ought to be loosened up a little (but not to the point where the big obsceneties are allowed) and I also think that a little more loose moderation would probably be good just so people don't think of mods as the enemy...
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by broncos9697 View Post
    Who threatened you with a ban and where?

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information