Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: GREAT Rule Change Coming to NCAA Football in 2011

Default GREAT Rule Change Coming to NCAA Football in 2011

As some of you may or may not know, Texas HS football uses NCAA rules (with a few exceptions). We're beginning our training for next year and learning some of the rule changes that will be in effect. One of the ones that I'm most happy to see, and have been wanting for some time, is taunting while scoring a TD.

Prior to this year, this was always treated as a dead ball foul. That means that the touchdown counted and the penalty was enforced either on the extra point or the kickoff (the offended team's choice). Starting this year, if a player taunts before scoring the TD it is a spot foul. For instance, if a player breaks away and starts high stepping or turns to wave at the defense or unnecessarily launches himself over the goal line it is a foul from that spot and there is no TD. As an example, if a player breaks away and starts highstepping at the defense's five yard line, the penalty would result in the ball next being spotted at the defense's 20 yard line - no touchdown.

I imagine the first time or two that's called on the field the coaches will be furious with the officials, but then they'll be furious with their players. It's going to be very interesting to see, I think.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Ghey.

Worst penalty ever in sports.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Ghey.

Worst penalty ever in sports.
    Yep, it's a game. Don't want the other team to dance? Don't let them score. Don't want them to talk shit? Win the game. Don't like being taunted? Play harder.

Sorry, but the same folks that want to regulate celebrations and make sure nobody's "feewings get hurt" are the same ones that want to give every kid a trophy. Rewarding suckitude is one of the reasons we're going downhill as a nation.

As an adult, especially in the military, I've found one of the most motivating instructional tools is abject humiliation in front of one's peers. Nobody likes to look bad, and I don't know how many times I've heard others say or said myself, "I'll never do that dumb shit again" because I got razzed about screwing something up.

As Sean Connery says in The Rock:

"Losers always whine about doing their best, winners go home and **** the prom queen."

Sure, if you want to flag it in youth sports, great. Teaching kids sportsmanship is important, but in college and especially the pros, it just isn't necessary. What's next? Flagging guys for trash talking each other at the LOS? They'd never play a snap.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

5. The Following 13 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

I'm looking at this from the high school perspective. The idea is that they don't want players calling unnecessary attention to themselves in a team game. At this level (and in college) it's even a penalty to spike the ball after a score.

Whether you believe taunting should be allowed or not, what I like is that if it's going to be a penalty, at least now it has some real bite to it. I personally like taking a harder line toward the taunting because it does nothing but increase the tension on the field, amp up the testosterone, and create a situation where an incident is more likely to happen. From the fans' perspective, that's probably not a big deal, but for those of us on the field who have to deal with the consequences, we would prefer to nip that stuff in the bud.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

7. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    I'm looking at this from the high school perspective. The idea is that they don't want players calling unnecessary attention to themselves in a team game. At this level (and in college) it's even a penalty to spike the ball after a score.

Whether you believe taunting should be allowed or not, what I like is that if it's going to be a penalty, at least now it has some real bite to it. I personally like taking a harder line toward the taunting because it does nothing but increase the tension on the field, amp up the testosterone, and create a situation where an incident is more likely to happen. From the fans' perspective, that's probably not a big deal, but for those of us on the field who have to deal with the consequences, we would prefer to nip that stuff in the bud.
    Not me, i played football and loved spiking it after a score. If someone gets butthurt over that they shouldnt be playing the game.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

puss-a-fication at it's finest !
    the game will be really exciting when the players are no longer allowed to "high-five" each other after a score or win ! yeah !
    should cheerleaders only be allowed to sit on benches as well?

Quote Originally Posted by T.K.O. (team kyle orton) View Post
    puss-a-fication at it's finest !
    the game will be really exciting when the players are no longer allowed to "high-five" each other after a score or win ! yeah !
    should cheerleaders only be allowed to sit on benches as well?
    You do realize this is not a new rule, right? It's only the enforcement that has changed. If you think this is "puss-a-fication" it has been going on for some time. People still seem to like the game.

12. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

as you realize that my post was sarcastic...players can still high five....but it gets more and more ridicules all the time.
    my point is they are "sucking the fun" out of competition ,and it BLOWS !

14. The Following User High Fived T.K.O. For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by T.K.O. (team kyle orton) View Post
    as you realize that my post was sarcastic...players can still high five....but it gets more and more ridicules all the time.
    my point is they are "sucking the fun" out of competition ,and it BLOWS !
    Oh, yeah, I knew what you meant. Hopefully it never goes that far. I like to see the players having fun and usually team celebrations have a little more leeway. It's when the guys are trying to call attention to themselves that the unsportsman-like conduct penalties come into play. Trust me, as an official, it sucks when you have one team that is already mad getting their noses rubbed in it too. You can anticipate some type of retaliation. In the NFL that's one thing, but in high school things can get out of hand quickly and there could be unanticipated, long-term repercussions on the players. My guess is that's why they strictly limit it at that level.

16. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Yep, it's a game. Don't want the other team to dance? Don't let them score. Don't want them to talk shit? Win the game. Don't like being taunted? Play harder.

Sorry, but the same folks that want to regulate celebrations and make sure nobody's "feewings get hurt" are the same ones that want to give every kid a trophy. Rewarding suckitude is one of the reasons we're going downhill as a nation.

As an adult, especially in the military, I've found one of the most motivating instructional tools is abject humiliation in front of one's peers. Nobody likes to look bad, and I don't know how many times I've heard others say or said myself, "I'll never do that dumb shit again" because I got razzed about screwing something up.

As Sean Connery says in The Rock:

"Losers always whine about doing their best, winners go home and **** the prom queen."

Sure, if you want to flag it in youth sports, great. Teaching kids sportsmanship is important, but in college and especially the pros, it just isn't necessary. What's next? Flagging guys for trash talking each other at the LOS? They'd never play a snap.
    I'll be your prom Queen if you keep posting like that!

18. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Highstepping before getting into the endzone is now a foul? Thats not a good change, thats trying to take the FUN out of the game. Believe it or not, I enjoy watching the athletes have FUN in front of the crowd that is trying to have FUN.

These rules that just keep wanting to make the players into robots with no personality, is taking the GAME out of the game.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

20. The Following 4 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Highstepping before getting into the endzone is now a foul? Thats not a good change, thats trying to take the FUN out of the game. Believe it or not, I enjoy watching the athletes have FUN in front of the crowd that is trying to have FUN.

These rules that just keep wanting to make the players into robots with no personality, is taking the GAME out of the game.
    I absolutely abhor the rule that doesn't allow a college athlete to acknowledge the crowd. And that goes back about 10 years. What the hell? A college player can't interact with the students he's representing? When a college player points at the crowd, or acknowledges the home crowd, isn't he then making it about the university and not just himself.

Mini-rant over.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

22. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Beer Girl

I can already see it. The headset comes flying off, and a ref gets lit up by coach running at him from the sideline.
    No Guts, No Glory

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Tebow is a virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    I absolutely abhor the rule that doesn't allow a college athlete to acknowledge the crowd. And that goes back about 10 years. What the hell? A college player can't interact with the students he's representing? When a college player points at the crowd, or acknowledges the home crowd, isn't he then making it about the university and not just himself.

Mini-rant over.
    Bingo. Even if he was pointing at the opposing fans, you don't think college crowds LOVE to hate on an opposing player? Thats what its about... rivalry. Lets embrace that and enjoy it instead of trying to make everyone "sensitive" to the crowd's feelings.

What they SHOULD do, is make a rule that forces the crowd to be quiet while the opposing team is trying to run their offense. It's rude to yell so loudly, and could hurt someone's feeling if they mess up because of all that over-exuberance displayed by the drunken roar.

Thats the next rule I'm shooting for
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Bunch of old geezers creating outdated rules that don't apply to today's athletes.

Counterproductive and very misguided.

27. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information