Thread: Kiffin files grievance

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Kiffin files grievance

Sounds eerily similiar to a one Mike Shanhan doesnt it? But no, the crypt keeper isnt the problem in Oakland.

By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer 2 hours, 59 minutes ago

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP)—Former Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin filed a grievance with the NFL on Wednesday to claim the lost salary he maintains he is still owed by the team.

Kiffin was fired late last month for cause because of what owner Al Davis described as acts of insubordination and lying by his second-year coach.

Kiffin was still owed about $2.6 million from the three-year contract that he signed in January 2007. But Davis has refused to pay, leading to the grievance. Commissioner Roger Goodell will ultimately rule on the grievance, but there was no date for a hearing scheduled.

Raiders executive John Herrera issued a statement to The Associated Press refuting Kiffin’s claims, saying “Mr. Kiffin was terminated for cause. The grievance is without merit.”

The statement says that Kiffin’s grievance “completely ignores the fact that Mr. Kiffin repeatedly made reckless statements that attacked players, assistant coaches and the owner of the team and were damaging to the Raiders organization.” The statement also alleges that Kiffin made false statements to the media that damaged the Raiders.

The Raiders said that Kiffin’s grievance did not address provisions in his contract that required him to avoid any conduct that would “would embarrass, discredit or disgrace” the Raiders, as well as an NFL resolution passed in April that required coaches to “avoid actions that undermine or damage the club’s reputation or operating success.”

Kiffin’s agent Gary Uberstine said he looked forward to having the case heard by Goodell.

“Although I am disappointed that the Raiders continue to perpetuate the spectacle they created by inappropriately trying their case in the media, we will continue to adhere to our policy not to comment on a matter which is the subject of a pending legal proceeding,” Uberstine said. “Needless to say, we are anxious to present our case to the commissioner under a system in which the truthfulness of statements must be proven to an impartial arbiter. We are as confident as ever that the commissioner will conclude that Coach Kiffin was not fired for ‘good cause.”’

At his news conference announcing Kiffin’s firing, Davis said the move was made because of criticisms Kiffin made of players like Javon Walker, coaches like defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, and the organization as a whole.

Davis also refuted claims Kiffin had made to the media saying that he had not communicated with the owner for weeks before his firing. Davis detailed a conversation between the two and a letter he had sent to Kiffin warning him to stop criticizing the organization.

Davis also refused to pay the remainder of Mike Shanahan’s salary when he fired him four games into the 1989 season. Shanahan won a grievance, but Davis has refused to pay him the approximately $300,000 that the Denver coach claims he’s owed.

Kiffin had a 5-15 record in just over one season with the Raiders, but Davis said his reasons for firing the coach were about his frequent public criticisms of the organization and some of its players even after he had been ordered to stop.

Kiffin was replaced by Tom Cable, who has lost two of his three games as interim head coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Good, I hope Kiffin gets a bunch of greasy Al's money.

Shanny never did.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

How on earth can Goodell and the rest of the NFL let Davis get away with not paying up on the grievance with Shanny?

If one of the players tried to get out of paying a fine, they'd get slapped down so hard. It's about time the League was as tough on owners as they are on players (and the fans pockets).
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood." Oscar Wilde

Add me on Facebook!

6. The Following User High Fived Kapaibro For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Killer

Unfortunately by the sound of what going on, it seems like Al will not have to pay up if Kiffen did say anything that was recorded (media), and considered detrimental to the organization. I think that will be at Goodell's discretion..

They pay Javon 16 Million for 12 grabs and 1 TD up until now, but they don't want to pay Kiffen 2.6 mill for giving his all to the Raiders...

Talk about signing a deal with the Devil.

8. The Following 6 Users High Fived Benetto For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    #88 Tony Scheffler

I hope Kiffen wins this one and sticks it to Al one last time.

As one of my friends, who is a Raider fan, told me "The Curse of Chucky lives on."
    2007-08 MVP

Thanks MasterShake for the sig

On Brandon Marshall
    "I'm not going to ever let him settle. I'm going to stay on him to be the best he can." ~ Rod Smith

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived broncosfanscott For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Even if Kiffin wins the grievance (which Shanny did), Al will not pay it.

12. The Following User High Fived GrayWolf For This Post:

GEM

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Even if Kiffin wins the grievance (which Shanny did), Al will not pay it.
    Its because Al is

pond scum.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Medford Bronco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    Its because Al is

pond scum.
    On behalf of Pond Scum everywhere, I object!

Add me on Facebook!

16. The Following User High Fived Kapaibro For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Unfortunately by the sound of what going on, it seems like Al will not have to pay up if Kiffen did say anything that was recorded (media), and considered detrimental to the organization. I think that will be at Goodell's discretion..

They pay Javon 16 Million for 12 grabs and 1 TD up until now, but they don't want to pay Kiffen 2.6 mill for giving his all to the Raiders...

Talk about signing a deal with the Devil.
    That's because Al Davis thinks Javon has "speed".

I think Al Davis makes all his possible Head Coach candidates run the 40 to see who is the fastest, and then just appoint that guy.

Al's obsession with speed players is just disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWookieeBronco View Post
    That's because Al Davis thinks Javon has "speed".
    I think Al Davis makes all his possible Head Coach candidates run the 40 to see who is the fastest, and then just appoint that guy.

Al's obsession with speed players is just disturbing.
    Compared to Al, Javon does have speed!

Add me on Facebook!

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaibro View Post
    Compared to Al, Javon does have speed!
    Agreed - but by how much really?
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Agreed - but by how much really?
    Well in a foot race I'd pick Javon, but if Al has the motorised scooter-thingee, it's anyone's race!

Add me on Facebook!

I hope HE wins...

22. The Following User High Fived Broncolingus For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    #88 Tony Scheffler

Here is a funny cartoon on Al Davis.

http://www.bangcartoon.com/2008/alsheimers.htm
    2007-08 MVP

Thanks MasterShake for the sig

On Brandon Marshall
    "I'm not going to ever let him settle. I'm going to stay on him to be the best he can." ~ Rod Smith

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Good luck to him, in all probability the only way Kiffin will get any compo is to get the to job with another AFC West side and spend the rest of his career beating the snot out of the Faiders
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29..............K Mc #11
    You'll Never Walk Alone

The Whiskeyteers ~ One for all, and all for more

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information