Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Long wait nearly over for Broncos' Torain

Adopted Bronco:
    Bucky

Default Torain back at Practice

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=8473

By Gray Caldwell
    DenverBroncos.com

DENVER -- It's been almost a full year since Ryan Torain has been on the field playing in a football game. For a guy that lives for chances to get out and show what he can do running the football, that's been an eternity.

"It's been a long time," the rookie said. "So I can't wait to get back."

Even though Torain said it's "doubtful" that he would play in the team's Monday Night Football matchup against the New England Patriots this week, today he took a giant step forward toward that goal -- he took part in his first practice since the Aug. 6, during the second week of training camp.

He ran with the scout team, but just getting on the field was like jumping past a huge hurdle, he said.

"It felt good," he said. "It was huge for me just mentally -- it just kind of relaxed me. It felt good to get back on the grass with some cleats and a ball, just conversing with the team."

The running back said he didn't ever get too winded during practice, because Strength and Conditioning Coach Rich Tuten has been helping him train hard ever since the injury.

And despite being a rookie, Torain said he feels comfortable in the offense because he's had so much time to digest the playbook on his own and with the team.

"Since camp I haven't missed one meeting," he said. "If I just stay getting one-on-one coaching and stay working hard, it's all going to fall into place."

But Torain wasn't the only familiar face who rejoined the team on the practice field Wednesday in preparation for the team's Monday Night Football matchup against the New England Patriots.

Ebenezer Ekuban and Eddie Royal were each on the field for the afternoon session after missing the team's Week 6 contest against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"I got out there and moved around today," said Royal, who sprained his left ankle in the game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. "I feel good. I just want to get back out there and get in the flow of things. You miss being in the huddle, all those little things about playing."

Both players said the worst thing about not playing was feeling unable to help the team on the field.

"I mean there wasn’t anything I could do from the sideline," Royal said. "I hate that feeling, and I am not looking forward to having that feeling again."

Ekuban said the "What ifs" swirled in his head from the sideline, but he's excited to prepare for getting on the field on Monday.

"If I was in there, could I have made a couple more big plays to help the defense?" he said he asked himself. "Disappointment, anger, all those things cross your mind, but I'm back this week so all of that's in the past."

It was a good day for injury news on the Broncos front.

Tony Scheffler and Selvin Young, both of whom were also inactive in last weekend's game with strained left groins, participated in practice Wednesday on a limited basis.

The only players who didn't participate were Boss Bailey (ankle) and Brandon Stokley (concussion). Head Coach Mike Shanahan said Stokley seems to improve every day, and the team should know something by the end of the week.

Stokley said he still feels a little fuzzy.

"That is a good word for it. I still just don’t feel quite right yet. Hopefully the next couple of days it will take a turn and I will feel better."

"Sometimes I feel pretty good and a few hours later I don’t," he continued. "We will see if it improves and go from there. With this injury, it is so much different than a hamstring or something else. There is really no rehab you can do for it to try and get better. You just have to wait until you feel normal again."

Jay Cutler said the team missed the injured players last week, and he's hopeful that some of them will be back this week.

"We were a little limited," he said. "Hopefully we’ll get some of these guys back this week, but we will have to wait and see."

READY TO STEP IN

If any of the players can't come back, the Broncos found out last week that they have enough depth to handle some injury setbacks.

Michael Pittman, for exampe, took over the starting role at running back when Young was inactive. He ran the ball 20 times for 109 yards -- his first 100-yard game since 2005.

"I thought I handled the carries I got well last week," Pittman said. "I really had 21, but one got called back. I felt pretty good. I’ve just got to get my wind up a little more. I came out healthy and I feel fine today. I’m just going to keep plugging."

Daniel Graham and Nate Jackson helped take on the load at tight end with Scheffler out. Graham had a touchdown catch and Jackson almost had one of his own -- it floated just over his head and past his diving fingertips.

With Royal out and Stokley out midway through the game with the concussion, Darrell Jackson and Glenn Martinez took on their duties. Martinez also took on the punt return duties, almost breaking two returns and finishing with 47 yards on three returns.

Martinez said he's ready to handle whatever comes his way if he's called on again this week.

"They expect us to come in and step up and make it seem like we're not a backup, that we're a starter," he said. "I take pride in what I do, so I work hard during the week, practicing and making sure I learn every position just in case one guy goes down I know every one. That way I can just step in and help the team out wherever they want me to."

Just a few weeks ago, Martinez was out of the NFL after being waived on Sept. 30. Now he's looking at a pretty big role on an AFC West-leading Denver Broncos squad.

"It is weird," he said. "I can remember three weeks ago sitting on the couch watching these guys play. It's a great experience, and I'm just glad to be back out here and be able to contribute to this team any way possible."

NATIONAL SPOTLIGHT, THEN BYE WEEK

Gathering from the locker room, Monday is important for two reasons -- the Broncos are under the national spotlight, and their bye week is looming.

"Monday Night Football –- you always have to be excited for that," Royal said. "Every team is different for me -- I keep getting to experience new things -- and this is my first time playing New England, so I am real excited about it."

Martinez shared his excitement.

"It's awesome," Martinez said. "Who doesn't want to play on Monday night in front of the whole nation? It's a chance to step out there and show the whole nation what you've got."

But the Broncos also want to show themselves what they're made of, and they certainly want to go into their bye week on a positive note.

While the younger players were excited about the spotlight, some of the veterans were focused on getting it done so they can feel good about the team during the bye.

"Especially with the bye coming up, it can make or break a season," Casey Wiegmann said. "You don't know. Last season when I was with Kansas City, we were 4-3 going into a bye week and we didn't win again."

Ekuban echoed Wiegmann's sentiments.

"No one wants to go into a bye on a loss," he said. "So hopefully we're going to go out there, have a good showing and go into the bye week on a good feeling while we're resting."

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

I'm giddy.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

Adopted Bronco:
    Bucky

Me too... I can't wait to see what he's got.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

Quote Originally Posted by nj10 View Post
    Me too... I can't wait to see what he's got.
    I just want a power-runner again. Let's face it: Travis Henry looked awesome for the time he was on the field. I want that back.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

5. The Following User High Fived NameUsedBefore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Meh

7. The Following User High Fived lex For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Wasn't it Monday night last year that G-Mart took a punt to the house against the Titans? Close to breaking one, would be a great time to do it again. Big if Royal is able to play at least be on the field and not having so much of the defense on top of Brandon.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

This is very encouraging.

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Monday can not come soon enough.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

As much as I wanna see what he can do, he still has a grocery list of injury concerns which began in JuCo. Hopefully it's behind him...but I kinda doubt it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I hate Monday Night games......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Why LinK?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

That's good news!

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Not me, I can get a full days sleep and not have to wake up in the middle of the day to watch.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon Marshall's Backhand

I'm reserving my judgment of Torain as the second coming of Terrell Davis until I see him in action in a league other than the Pac 10. Just sayin.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information