Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jim Tressel resigns from Ohio State

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Tressel could coach in NFL, but does he want to?

Full disclosure: I graduated from Ohio State in 2002. I was a junior when Jim Tressel was hired away from Youngstown State and in the nine seasons since my graduation, I've watched him get to eight BCS bowl games, win five of them, and capture seven Big Ten titles and a national championship.

And just as important, we've all seen him pulverize Michigan.

While I'm not exactly the most unbiased person when it comes to this subject, I can say his resignation on Monday is what needed to happen. As much as I think of Tressel as a guy, he knowingly broke the rules and any consequences that follow are on him, and not anyone else. I cover the NFL, and I'd say the same thing when referencing the Patriots' Spygate scandal, I'd say it when talking about players being fined for high hits, and I'm not going to start being a hypocrite now because it involves my school.

You knew the rules, you broke them. Story over.

But does that mean his career's over, too? Not necessarily. And the answer for Tressel might be at the level of football he's had 66 of his Buckeye players drafted to, and the level that his program served as a pipeline to.

My editor asked me this morning if I think Tressel could coach in the NFL. I didn't have to hesitate. Heck, yes. Of course, he could.
    rest of article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...oes-he-want-to

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Ladies and Gentleman, presenting the new head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals...
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

More like future HS coach.
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Michigan would probably hire him right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Go Badgers!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sel/index.html

There's the SI piece.

I'm starting to think that the NCAA just allows SI, ESPN and CBS to do all of their investigating, and then just react to the articles...(that statement was partially tongue in cheek...)
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Michigan would probably hire him right now.
    I doubt it. Michigan like their new coach. Based on everything I have heard and read, I think Michigan's new coach is going to be very successful without the stain that Tressel has.
    Too bad she doesn't cheer for the Patriots dressed like this

After reading that, resigning was an overboard reaction. He didn't report his players for getting tats, 500 bucks and a car?

That's worthy of stepping down from a prestigious school where he's had nothing but success?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I thought he was beyond having to resign, I guess not. No more sweater vest!

What ya think broncophan!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6606999
    I'm really bummed about him resigning....but it bothers me more that he was trying to cover for his players and hide...what were clearly ncaa infractions....however serious the infractions are.......hard to tell just what else will come forward now....i have read the SI article....it doesnt sound good.

Will be hard for the football program to recover from this...Tressel always recruited well...(and his coaching record speaks for itself)....esp....big time home state players who osu would always lose to Michigan for the longest time.

At some point...these spoiled punk kids have to be responsible for their behavior....they know right from wrong as well.....I mean...the coaching staff/compliance officers just cant babysit these kids all the time...just not possible...

I always thought OSU's basketball and football programs had the 2 best coaches in the country...and thought they would be there as long as they wanted to be.....ya just never know, I guess.....hopefully Matta and the basketball program will continue to thrive.

Hopefully with Tressel stepping down the ncaa penalties will be less severe....i dont know.....but then again the stupid NCAA allowed the players who sold some of their stuff...to play in their bowl game last year...kind of doesn't make sense...

Urban Meyer????....the rumor around here is he bought a home in the Columbus area about 7 or 8 months ago....
    Although...I would like to see a OSU guy as the next head coach....

GO BUCKS.......(still)......
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team that plays Michigan
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates
    5.Oklahoma Lady Sooners Basketball Team

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

11. The Following User High Fived broncophan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    After reading that, resigning was an overboard reaction. He didn't report his players for getting tats, 500 bucks and a car?

That's worthy of stepping down from a prestigious school where he's had nothing but success?

King....I dont think it is over yet....although with him resigning....we may never know what else there is....or was...
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

This is worse than i thought. Originally i just thought it was like 6 players but now they are talking like 22 dating back to 2002. Its getting ugly at OSU folks.

Yeah.....North....its getting real ugly.....players getting perks from a local car dealership...in exchange for tickets....former players admitting to selling stuff......who knows what's next....
    osu haters.....rejoice.........
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates

15. The Following User High Fived broncophan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post
    More like future HS coach.
    Not at all. He got into hot water because his players violated NCAA regulations but none of them would get him in hot water in the NFL. Yet he consistently churned out NFL-caliber players for the draft which means he can coach. In fact, some would argue that his rather conservative playcalling is better suited to the NFL than it is the college game.

My Bengals comment was tongue-in-cheek but I'm betting he'll be an NFL head coach by the 2013 season. The NFL likes winners and they really don't care if the players sell their souls for tats. It won't reflect on the HC.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

I just cant understand why "special arrangements" or "cover-ups"...were made for any players....even Pryor....sure he was highly touted coming out of high school....but hell....for the most part...he was no better than an average middle of the road qb....in the big 10 alone........not to mention the rest of the country.....
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by broncophan View Post
    I just cant understand why "special arrangements" or "cover-ups"...were made for any players....even Pryor....sure he was highly touted coming out of high school....but hell....for the most part...he was no better than an average middle of the road qb....in the big 10 alone........not to mention the rest of the country.....
    Many that I've heard talk about him are saying that Tressel really thought of his players as his kids.

Ify ou asked a parent "why did you turn you eye".. would you expect a parent not to protect their kid? Do not all parents see what they want, and ignore/defend actions that aren't perfect?

Thats how they have described Tressel and "why" he hadn't said anything. THe problem Tressel made, was lying to the NCAA.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information