Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Hall Discussion: Modification to policy on bypassing filtered words -- use of profanity

Default Town Hall Discussion: Modification to policy on bypassing filtered words -- use of profanity

Ok, it has been suggested that we are too strict on our policy regarding not allowing people to circumvent the filter outside of the lounge.

Our current rule was implemented in early January, after extensive Town Hall discussion. The current rule is:

The following Amendment/interpretation guideline has been added to the rules. Please review:

Implemented: New Guidelines On Allowed/Disallowed Words and Acronyms

Remember, these guidelines do not override any existing rules. Meaning, even if a word or acronym is allowed in general, it does not allow you to disregard the rules that prohibit personal attacks or sexually explicit/graphic comments.

Here are the new guidelines.

If a word is censored, meaning if you type a word that the message board automatically replaces with ****, it is NOT allowed to to use characters like !, @, etc. to get around the profanity filter, nor can you add a smiley to the end of a censored word or use any other trick to get around the profanity filter.

It is allowed for a member to type a censored word and let the profanity filter substitute **** for it. This will be seen as the equivalent of beeping or bleeping out bad words on TV/radio.

Acronyms that are allowed: WTH, WTF, FUBAR, SNAFU, LMAO, LMFAO, ROFLMAO, ROFLMFAO, BS, SOB

Acronyms that are not allowed: S.T.F.U., F.U.

This guideline will not list specific words that have been approved or disapproved. If the profanity filter replaces a word with ****, do not use any variation of that word, nor alter it to get it past the filter. If a moderator tells you a word or word variation is not allowed, do not use it.
    The following quote from another Town Hall Discussion posed the question of whether or not our circumvention of the filter rules is too strong. Here is what a member posted:

IMO, this example seems a tiny bit strict as far as the interpretation of "circumventing the language filter"... if one was to type "fuuck" or "fu ck" or other means that display the actual profanity, then yes...but "f'k" or "f*ck" or "sh*t" are like self-censorship on the part of the poster... similar to "azz" or "a$$" instead of the less-acceptable word for donkey. I mean, how is "****" different from "sh*t"? One still knows what the poster meant in most cases
    So, the discussion here is about whether or not the rule regarding not circumventing the language filter (outside of the lounge) should be changed. Since ass and shit are not censored, this is primarily related to F-bomb varieties: f*ck, f'ck, etc., but there are a few other words that people at times alter to circumvent the censor filter, rather than typing **** and having the filter put * in the place of all letters.

Please discuss what you think about the current rule, as well as the suggestion to loosen the 'circumvention' rule, or any other input you have regarding the the guidelines on allowed/disallowed language.

Adopted Bronco:
    Selvin Young

How about Frickin.............or freakin?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

I think the rule is fine the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I'm with frau.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

6. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

I'm with Frau as well. I don't think that the examples used where self-censorship. They seem designed to still get the point across.

8. The Following User High Fived Fan in Exile For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Foneco

I tend to think that if you censor your own phrase like sh*t (using this word so I don't break the rules!) it shouldn't be breaking the rules. To me breaking the no profanity rule is finding ways to bypass the filter either via HTML coding, or alternate spellings.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Frau is right. The rule is fine just as it is.

If you relax it at all, then why bother having any rules against profanity? I can't come up with an answer to that question.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Well as someone who uses fuq, or b'artch, I don't see the difference in saying "fugging bish" or I'll have some of that 'ish'.

Everyone knows what those mean, so if you get around the profanity filter with symbols, isn't getting around the profanity filter by deliberately misspelling a word the same?
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood." Oscar Wilde

Add me on Facebook!

13. The Following User High Fived Kapaibro For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaibro View Post
    Well as someone who uses fuq, or b'artch, I don't see the difference in saying "fugging bish" or I'll have some of that 'ish'.

Everyone knows what those mean, so if you get around the profanity filter with symbols, isn't getting around the profanity filter by deliberately misspelling a word the same?
    We went through all of this discussion when we first decided upon the profanity rules months ago, and decided words like freakin', frickin' and whatnot are okay. Bitch and shit aren't filtered so ish and bish are fine.

Fugging....I think I used that in the Broncos Talk area once and it was changed. I don't remember if we specifically talked about that word or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Bitch isn't filtered. For the record.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Bitch isn't filtered. For the record.
    I think this is more in regards to outside of The Lounge.

And whether or not using other words to circumvent the CoC should warrant an IP
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood." Oscar Wilde

Add me on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDiver View Post
    How about Frickin.............or freakin?
    Frickin and freakin are allowed, as the base rule is what is said on primetime network TV is allowed in the main (non lounge) forums. These terms, Frickin, freakin, etc. are used regularly on primetime network TV.

Yes, this is definately in regards to outside the lounge, since in the lounge, circumvention is allowed for all but a few words, like the big C.

Adopted Bronco:
    Selvin Young

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Frickin and freakin are allowed, as the base rule is what is said on primetime network TV is allowed in the main (non lounge) forums. These terms, Frickin, freakin, etc. are used regularly on primetime network TV.

Yes, this is definately in regards to outside the lounge, since in the lounge, circumvention is allowed for all but a few words, like the big C.

I think I broke his Freakin neck..........one of my all-time favorire lines.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

But saying bitch outside of the Lounge isn't against the rules since it's not filtered. Right?

I'm just trying to make sure I don't break any rules. I'd like to be a mod here again some day.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

When I read Sh*t or F*ck, I hear the word in my head, which is not usually the case with ****... although it can be if the context is strong enough, I guess.

*shrug*
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

21. The Following User High Fived LordTrychon For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information