Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45

Thread: Town Hall Proposal: Implementation of an infraction points (IP) system

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

What with the polls regarding moderation and banning etc., I'm curious if this idea is still being debated, or if anything is on the horizon with this.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post

What with the polls regarding moderation and banning etc., I'm curious if this idea is still being debated, or if anything is on the horizon with this.
    I'm dragging my feet, because around the same time I started this discussion, I also turned the suspensions/bannings over to the mods, where they now discuss and vote on whether or not to ban/suspend someone. Since that is fairly new, I lean towards wanting to give it some time to see how it goes.

I originally said I would pass it over to them on a 60 day trial, which is about where we are at.

I also decided to address the simplified rules, and get a feel for how we are enforcing them, in the minds of the posters, because I would hate to implement an infraction system, and then infract people over rules that most posters seem should go away.

The threads and polls I put up are to get a feel for whether our rules and enforcement of those rules are in line with what the community wants, and I see getting that right as a pre-requisite of ever implementing an infraction system, as if we give out infractions for things that are considered 'petty' there would likely be backlash.

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Ok, after giving this a LOT of thought and reading all of the feedback, at this time I am tabling the idea of an infraction points system. I am doing so for the following reasons:

1. Since the mods took over the suspension/banning process, which is done by majority vote, I think they have done a very good job of making good judgement calls on when to suspend.
    2. Since the election has ended, the politics forum is returning to normal. There are clearly still different points of view, but the venomous approach to 'proving' points has diminished.
    3. While the infraction point system is more fair by the nature of taking 'most' subjectivity out of the equation, it also has the potential to upset otherwise good members that get points assigned to them for seemingly minor rules infractions.

So, when I look at all the various pieces of the puzzle, and realize that the VAST majority of posters on this site don't cause trouble, and if they do break a rule, it is in the heat of the moment, and very rare, I think it is wrong to put a system in place that effects everyone, in order to justify the banning of true repeat rules violators.

So, I am not ruling this out forever, but at this time I think it is best to keep the 'judgement' factor in place when dealing with repeat offenders or those people that continuously inflame large sectors of our community, and not use a points system that will impact everyone to justify dealing with them.

5. The Following 5 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Ok, after giving this a LOT of thought and reading all of the feedback, at this time I am tabling the idea of an infraction points system. I am doing so for the following reasons:

1. Since the mods took over the suspension/banning process, which is done by majority vote, I think they have done a very good job of making good judgement calls on when to suspend.
    2. Since the election has ended, the politics forum is returning to normal. There are clearly still different points of view, but the venomous approach to 'proving' points has diminished.
    3. While the infraction point system is more fair by the nature of taking 'most' subjectivity out of the equation, it also has the potential to upset otherwise good members that get points assigned to them for seemingly minor rules infractions.

So, when I look at all the various pieces of the puzzle, and realize that the VAST majority of posters on this site don't cause trouble, and if they do break a rule, it is in the heat of the moment, and very rare, I think it is wrong to put a system in place that effects everyone, in order to justify the banning of true repeat rules violators.

So, I am not ruling this out forever, but at this time I think it is best to keep the 'judgement' factor in place when dealing with repeat offenders or those people that continuously inflame large sectors of our community, and not use a points system that will impact everyone to justify dealing with them.
    Thanks Tned!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information