Thread: 10/23 Mock w/ FA signing

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Default 10/23 Mock w/ FA signing

OK, again, Im a big proponent of signing either Peppers or Suggs and possibly trading Dumervil...but Ill assume we keep him and hold true to our current draft picks.

1. Aaron Curry, Wake Forest, ILB/OLB, can play two LB positions and this flexibility helps when in a state of flux between 3-4 and 4-3...he weighs about 250
    2. Patrick Chung, Oregon, S, can thump and play the ball...a lot to like.
    3. Vance Walker, GT, DT,
    4. David Bruton, ND, S, Ballhawk
    5. Tony Carter, FSU, CB
    5. Ramses Barden, Cal Poly, WR
    6. Jamaal Westerman, Rutgers, DE
    7. Brandon Tate, UNC, WR
    7. Jarvis Richards, Youngstown St., CB

OK, Im going to revise this:

1. Brandon Spikes, Florida, MLB. I like Curry too and you cant go wrong with either but I actually think Spikes is easily better than Laurinaitis and perhaps even better than Maualuga. Spikes actually has some ball skills. Ive seen him bat down balls when blitzing several times and he can catch. Very athletic and a thumper. But what I like most is that the vast majority of the time, he plays the ball inside out.

2. Patrick Chung, Oregon, S. See above

3. BJ Raji, Boston College, DT. Raji missed last year because he didnt have enough credits. I dont think its so much that he was struggling with school. Keep in mind that BC is a school that emphasizes academics more than many others and so the fact that he went to school there says something for him. But beyond that, the guy is huge and he could really help the run defense and transition away from overrelying on Dwayne Robertson who has chronic knee problems.

4. David Bruton, Notre Dame, S. Its a good year for S and this is where we can really benefit from the depth. Other guys to consider might be Courtney Greene, Rashad Johnson, or Derek Pegues but I think Johnson and Pegues go before this spot.

5. Tony Carter, FSU, CB. Athletic player. I think targeting guys like this is a good way to start transitioning to a philosophy of building the defense from front to back more. Guys like him are good, low risk players that can possibly really help a team if the front 7 is in order but just as importantly a competent DC.

5. Ramses Barden, Cal-Poly, WR. The guy is like 6-6 and has been producing against lower level competition even though they upset San Diego State early in the season. Physically, he gives you dimension that provides something to work with. Might also be able to play TE if he put on some weight.

6. Jamaal Westerman, Rutgers, DE. I saw him beat Jeff Otah on a sack last year. Raw talent. I think he's from Canada. Good low risk player who might have some upside.

7. Cornelius Ingram, Florida, TE. Hybrid TE/WR. Florida used him more as a TE than a WR due to the other athletes they have playing WR. This guy really carves up the middle of the field and is missing this season due to an injury. If he falls to 7th (he might not), this is a good pick up with Scheffler's health always uncertain.

7. Brandon Tate, North Carolina, WR. Similar to Ingram, I anticipate he may slide due to having missed the balance of the season after being injured. Could be a good slot guy that has some speed and can put pressure on the middle of the field.
    Last edited by lex; 11-08-2008 at 11:09 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived lex For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

These mocks are retarded. Can we wait until the season actually finishes?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    These mocks are retarded. Can we wait until the season actually finishes?
    Theyre not as retarded as a "journalist" with the reading comprehension of a gym shoe.

6. The Following User High Fived lex For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    #27 Steve Atwater

the mocks aint bad.. one a week is a little overboard. I would raher see a riser and slider very week

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    1. Aaron Curry, Wake Forest, ILB/OLB, can play two LB positions and this flexibility helps when in a state of flux between 3-4 and 4-3...he weighs about 250
    Absolutely fantastic pick. I think he's a top fifteen player. Where do you see us drafting? Great pick regardless Lex.

2. Patrick Chung, Oregon, S, can thump and play the ball...a lot to like.
    Chung would be a welcomed addition here, I think he has returned for Oregon on special teams as well.

3. Vance Walker, GT, DT
    Another solid pick, would see significant playing time IMHO. Robertson, Thomas, Powell and Walker would be a nice group of four. Damn, I keep forgetting we have Powell.

4. David Bruton, ND, S, Ballhawk
    Another solid pick. Fantastic prospects lined up at realistic positions, IMHO. Great stuff.
    5. Tony Carter, FSU, CB
    Has everything you look for besides good size. Plays aggressive, can be a punt returner and makes big plays. Great guy on the field and off the field. Smart as heck too. Would be a nice nickel/dime guy in the future. Hard to rely on a 5'9 - sub 170 pound guy to do much though.

5. Ramses Barden, Cal Poly, WR
    Saw him back in 2006 when Cal Poly came up to play NDSU, and immediately checked to see what his name was for future reference. He just dwarfs everyone on the field. He is tearing it up right now, albeit against smaller schools. Another Brandon Marshall? Maybe. I think he could go a lot higher than this based on the success of Marshall.
    6. Jamaal Westerman, Rutgers, DE
    Can't complain about this really, but can't say I'm privy to Westerman.

7. Brandon Tate, UNC, WR
    I'd take a flyer on him even with his injury. Kid is a baller. Nice snag.

7. Jarvis Richards, Youngstown St., CB
    IIRC correctly, he had one or two picks against Mertens (QB, NDSU) and had a fantastic game.

I'd of liked to see an OL or RB in there somewhere, but as far as this awful defense goes, you did a Ace job.

9. The Following User High Fived Requiem / The Dagda For This Post:

Thanks for the mock, I enjoyed it.

I do think we may see a RB drafted, do you not? As a Hawkeye fan, I would love to see Shonn Greene in orange and blue, but he may not come out until next year.
    Last edited by studbucket; 10-24-2008 at 10:34 AM.
    "You do not mess with Pat Bowlen, and you definitely do not ignore him''

Link to quote

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

Nice mock, lex. I like this one much better than the previous.

yes nice as well. I still think we make a trade to get 3 picks within the first 2 rounds. However thats hard to predict.

I would also like to see us nab a dt before the 6th. But if we can get curry,chung and walker with out first 3, thats not bad at all!
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Of course it depends where we pick, but...

Not too much will available at DE/DT in this draft. Therefore I think we should concentrate on MLB/S.

Taylor Mays would be a good fit in round 1...but Chung in round 2 would be nice also.

Check out Chung's blocking (#15) in this vid...you have to say he has balls...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFkWJHBzb30

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Thanks for the comments and kind words. Yeah, Id like us to draft a RB as well. And I would have liked to done a mock where we have 3 picks in the top 2 rounds...I would have taken either Mack or a RB. If Torain works out and we get a RB, Id like it to be Spiller. Another guy I like is Andre Brown.

15. The Following User High Fived lex For This Post:

great mock lex. i really wouldnt mind it if it worked out like that. you forgot to add in the fa signings though. what are we going to at rb???
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

as much as people hate webster, i think he's far more serviceable that any of our safeties at this point.

do you have any scenarios with a 1st round safety? or is the value just better going LB first?

there's also not a lot of RB talent in FA this year... you can't expect us to lose 5 RBs again next year, but it'd be nice to bring in a guy with 0 injury history. anyone in mind in the mid to late rounds/trade/FA lex?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rockwell Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank24 View Post
    as much as people hate webster, i think he's far more serviceable that any of our safeties at this point.

do you have any scenarios with a 1st round safety? or is the value just better going LB first?

there's also not a lot of RB talent in FA this year... you can't expect us to lose 5 RBs again next year, but it'd be nice to bring in a guy with 0 injury history. anyone in mind in the mid to late rounds/trade/FA lex?
    I think many would tell you that there is a bigger drop off at Mike after the first than there is with safety. Not only that but, I agree with you that our safeties are worse than our LBs...but I also think its better to build a defense from front to back. And with that in mind along with the better depth at S, Id prefer Mike in the first if we're going with a defensive focused draft. So yeah, value is in play here.

Ive kind of shifted though. I now would prefer Spikes over Curry (and even Laurinaitis for that matter).

Regarding RB, I would prefer to draft some one in the first two rounds of the draft. The guy I like is Spiller. I also think Shonn Greene is ok. As for the late rounds, maybe Peerman, Andre Brown, Stefon Johnson, PJ Hill, or Bernard Scott are guys to keep in mind. Again, I would really rather draft a high end RB. I would like to get Spiller. His big play ability is incredible. And Turner will help him on maximizing the 3-5 yard runs just as he has done with all of our previous RBs.

19. The Following User High Fived lex For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information