Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderator Bias

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Spoken like a true hippie...
    Can't we just police ourselves man. We don't need no stinken "rules".

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    No... Not at all. Even the notorious right-winger who was among them.

I think everyone takes themselves way too seriously around here-- mods, members, admin. I think the only reason anyone should ever get banned is because they Spam the board and are not actual contributors... I think it takes on a very elitist mentality when we're telling people who want to be here that they are not good enough to be here (Again, it's an online message board for pete's sake).

The problem is this-- There are about 3-5 uber liberal posters who annoy this shit out of 90% of the right... And there are 2-4 uber conservative posters who annoy the shit out of 90% of the left... So what happens, is that people lash out against those folks, and then are scolded by the mods for lashing out. So the members who get scolded feel like they've been wronged (because, hey, they were just trying to tell that jackass how annoying he is) and therefore they throw their arms up and say "this is a cesspool, I'm taking my ball and going home."

The easy solution would be very loosely moderate it so that people don't have to mince words, let them say exactly what they want to say because members can police themselves better than mods could ever hope to. But that won't happen, because we're apparently opposed to it being a "free for all".

So I don't know what the easy solution is... But can't hurt to try and add a few dissenting opinions just for the sake of perceived balance among management within P&R.
    That's one way, or the other way is what Tned has done.

Both ways are "fair", and I'd dare say, knowing the mods that I know, that they are more lenient when dealing with those of the opposite political stripe than they are with those on "their side".

Tned has stated many, many times HIS goals for P&R. He's the one the pays the bills, and he does a very fair job of enforcing some very fair rules and guidelines, and has been more than lenient when it comes to dropping the hammer.

I don't think there's anything to complain about. Opinions of both sides can be voiced , and argued tenaciously. There's no suppression of ideas that I can see, and if somebody doesn't like being civil as they discuss politics then go find another place to hang your hat.

This is what Tned wants out of P&R and so he's going to get it. If it's good, it will continue here and probably grow. If it's bad, then everyone who is into P&R will leave. Myself, (and I think I speak for several others) I like the direction he's taking it. But that's probably why myself and others have been here since the Freak closed down anyway.

3. The Following 6 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by tubby View Post
    Not buying it one bit.
    It would take too much effort to climb out of the tree to bitch slap anyone.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

All right, if a moderator would be so kind as to close this thread I'd appreciate it--it didn't really turn into the discussion I was hoping it would-- It just turned into me bitching...

All I'm saying is that I came for the Broncos and stayed for the politics and it sucks that we seem to be headed down the same path as Mania's politics section...

Please close thread now.

All right, if a moderator would be so kind as to close this thread I'd appreciate it--it didn't really turn into the discussion I was hoping it would-- It just turned into me bitching...

All I'm saying is that I came for the Broncos and stayed for the politics and it sucks that we seem to be headed down the same path as Mania's politics section...

Please close thread now.
    Dont you wish you were a mod so you could close this thread?

Via La Buff's Thread.

Tubby, take a dump. I will post some hot dog ass for Nut.
    2012: The Year that Mo Got Laid

7. The Following User High Fived Rex For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

I will acknowledge that by and large the moderators have acted in an unbiased manner...

And I'm not trying to stir the pot to be an ungrateful complainer who's trying to make Tned's life more complicated than it needs to be. I just think that if we really view P&R as a problem, we ought to be changing the people who are moderating as much as we ought to be changing the way the moderators do their job. And I don't mean to say our current group has done a bad job-- I just think it wouldn't hurt to have some different opinions.

My contention with what you just posted is that you guys (mods) have biases that you may not even know about. We all do. It has to do with our own values and upbringing. It's not that your decisions are unfair, it's just that they are fairly one sided.

Example: What consisutes a cesspool to a middle aged, christian, republican may be completely acceptable to a younger, non-religious liberal. And that's not saying one is right and one is wrong, it just means we ought to bring in more voices. Just my opinion.
    If you have to admit that moderating has been unbiased, then what's the
    problem? Perhaps part of it is that you don't know the process that goes
    on behind the scenes.

We have a discussion forum, where we often bring up a "gray" issue that is
    not clear to a Mod or that he/she may be biased on so the others can
    offer their input. This happens often.

Also, when we issue a "Concering your post" PM, it is replicated in another
    discussion forum for all Mods to see. When other Mods disagree with such
    an action, they post it there, and it happens.

Moreover, in our discussion forums, we have had long and thorough
    discussions on making sure our moderating remains fair and balanced at all
    times. When a moderating issue comes up, the Rules and Guidelines are at
    the center of it, and that is our consideration. Nothing else.

We view it as a great boon to our staff that Anubis and Den21, neither who
    is conservative, are among us because they make us think and help to
    balance things. But when they were selected, it was not because of their
    political or religious philosophies but because we felt they would make
    excellent moderators. This is also true of Turftoad, Dread, Davii, Mike, and
    JR. (Carol and I were there from the start, and JR followed us only days
    later.)

Far as replacing Mods, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. They are all still excellent
    Mods. And Anubis is an excellent Mod.

If you want Anubis to stay, what I suggest you do is to PM him . . . ALL of
    you, and let him know. If he insists on leaving the staff, that will be a BIG
    loss to us all. Maybe he needs to know whether you really want him.

Why not find out?

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

9. The Following 6 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Thread reopened at thread-starter's request.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

11. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

I think the Mods have been fair.
    Merry.

13. The Following User High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

I will acknowledge that by and large the moderators have acted in an unbiased manner...

And I'm not trying to stir the pot to be an ungrateful complainer who's trying to make Tned's life more complicated than it needs to be. I just think that if we really view P&R as a problem, we ought to be changing the people who are moderating as much as we ought to be changing the way the moderators do their job. And I don't mean to say our current group has done a bad job-- I just think it wouldn't hurt to have some different opinions.

My contention with what you just posted is that you guys (mods) have biases that you may not even know about. We all do. It has to do with our own values and upbringing. It's not that your decisions are unfair, it's just that they are fairly one sided.

Example: What consisutes a cesspool to a middle aged, christian, republican may be completely acceptable to a younger, non-religious liberal. And that's not saying one is right and one is wrong, it just means we ought to bring in more voices. Just my opinion.
    Troublemaker.....

j/k....

I posted this in another thread but it probably needs to be here a little more:

Ah, I agree. When asked to be a Mod here (comming from the Freak) Tned nor the mods didn't know if I were black or white, republican or democrat, a college student, bag man or business man, 18 or 70 years old.
    They referenced the Freak and I beleive got a few recomendations from there also.
    None of the Mods have been chosen just because of their political affiliation.

16. The Following 7 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    I posted this in another thread but it probably needs to be here a little more:

Ah, I agree. When asked to be a Mod here (comming from the Freak) Tned nor the mods didn't know if I were black or white, republican or democrat, a college student, bag man or business man, 18 or 70 years old.
    They referenced the Freak and I beleive got a few recomendations from there also.
    None of the Mods have been chosen just because of their political affiliation.
    It is absolutely correct that none of the Mods have been chosen because of their political affiliation. Once again, this is a Broncos Forum. Why would/should political affiliation even come into play? What we tried to do was add Mods from the Freak and the Mane.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Spoken like a true hippie...
    Sorry Slim, you totally missed this one and your response reeks with bias conservatism. Buff has spoken with the true belief in fairness, tolerance, and treating adults like adults. Its not the job of the moderators to be dictatorial in nature and to treat the adults in this forum like children when it comes to discussing politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Npba900 View Post
    Sorry Slim, you totally missed this one and your response reeks with bias conservatism. Buff has spoken with the true belief in fairness, tolerance, and treating adults like adults. Its not the job of the moderators to be dictatorial in nature and to treat the adults in this forum like children when it comes to discussing politics.
    Unless of couse said adults are acting like children. Not only that but Slim was kidding with Buff if you didn't notice.

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

I don't believe the mods are treating adults like children in P and R.I also believe that they are fair as well.People who get themselves banned have only themselves to blame.There is a CoC in place for a reason.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived KCL For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

I do not understand your conclusion that the moderators are being dictatorial in nature and treat the adults in this forum like children. We have a set of POSTED rules/guidelines which outlines what is not acceptable. Those are what we mod by.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

25. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

KCL

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information