Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why We Passed on Both Austin and Paea

Default Why We Passed on Both Austin and Paea

I was one of the main ones beating the drums for Marvin Austin and/or Stephen Paea. Per a Xanders interview on the Fan yesterday, Marvin Austin had severe character issues off the field, and Paea was smaller with short arms and had troubles with double teams at times, so they decided to pass on them and take thier #1 rated safety (Rahim Moore) and #4 rated tackle (Orlando Franklin) instead. Interesting...

It sounds like they are also very high on Kevin Vickerson, and they fell that he was thier most disruptive lineman last season. They think that he can start at either NT or 3 technique in the 4-3 and shine. Going into camp he states that they initially see Miller and Mohamed at Sam, DJ and Woodyard at Will, and Mays and Irving at Mike. He said that in the 4-3 the team generally keeps 6 or 7 linebackers, depending on the special teams ability.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 05-03-2011 at 03:07 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

We shouldn't have passed up on drafting Lance Harbor. He'd get the gameball every week.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    We shouldn't have passed up on drafting Lance Harbor. He'd get the gameball every week.
    Go Pack!

5. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I was one of the main ones beating the drums for Marvin Austin and/or Stephen Paea. Per a Xanders interview on the Fan yesterday, Marvin Austin had severe character issues off the field, and Paea was smaller with short arms and had troubles with double teams at times, so they decided to pass on them and take thier #1 rated safety (Rahim Moore) and #4 rated tackle (Orlando Franklin) instead. Interesting...

It sounds like they are also very high on Kevin Vickerson, and they fell that he was thier most disruptive lineman last season. They think that he can start at either NT or 3 technique in the 4-3 and shine. Going into camp he states that they initially see Miller and Mohamed at Sam, DJ and Woodyard at Will, and Mays and Irving at Mike. He said that in the 4-3 the team generally keeps 6 or 7 linebackers, depending on the special teams ability.
    Whether a person agrees with the decision or not at least they gave an explanation that's reasonable imo.

7. The Following 8 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

No wonder Paea did so many reps on bench press.
    Those damn short armed bastages!!!

9. The Following 8 Users High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by SOCALORADO. View Post
    I watched him do the reps it wasn't hard to tell he doesn't have a long reach.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I watched him do the reps it wasn't hard to tell he doesn't have a long reach.
    I watched it too. But i didnt really notice his arms.
    If this is what they thought about these players i cant fault them.
    They are the ones making these decisions, so its their draft.

12. The Following User High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I watched it too. But i didnt really notice his arms.
    If this is what they thought about these players i cant fault them.
    They are the ones making these decisions, so its their draft.
    It caught my eye because with Paea's arms fully extended there wasn't much air between the bar and top of his chest. It was still very impressive.

It also reminded me of a guy I played football with. He had short reach and was consistently the best at the bench press because of his short reach.

Paea's arms are 33 and 3\4". They're only half of an inch shorter than Dareus's.

His arms are average length, they're not short.....and saying that he struggles with double teams at times......uh, what 3-tech doesn't occasionally struggle with double teams? Paea's scouting report states that he's very strong at the point of attack and almost immovable. I could be wrong, but I think the Broncos made a mistake in the way they scouted this guy.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

When the period to sign undrafted college players opens I hope the Broncos grab Marc Schiechl of Colorado School of Mines. He's a 6'2"/252/DE that will have to convert to LB in the NFL and knows it. Schiechl had 46 QB sacks in four years at CSM (Div II). The Packers and another team were at his Pro Day workout.
    Last edited by LTC Pain; 05-03-2011 at 09:50 AM.

17. The Following User High Fived LTC Pain For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Paea's arms are 33 and 3\4". They're only half of an inch shorter than Dareus's.

His arms are average length, they're not short.....and saying that he struggles with double teams at times......uh, what 3-tech doesn't occasionally struggle with double teams? Paea's scouting report states that he's very strong at the point of attack and almost immovable. I could be wrong, but I think the Broncos made a mistake in the way they scouted this guy.
    Half an inch is quite bit. As I said I him watched do the bench press and he didn't have far to go from the bar to the top of his chest.

Time will tell if they made mistake but I wont claim that it this point because it's way to early.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Half an inch is quite bit. As I said I him watched do the bench press and he didn't have far to go from the bar to the top of his chest.

Time will tell if they made mistake but I wont claim that it this point because it's way to early.
    It is early, but the game tape is what tells me he is explosive and powerful, not the BP. The BP only confirms what I've seen in games.

Half of an inch may be a lot compared to Dareus, but I compared him to all of the major DT prospects in the draft, and he was right in the middle....his arm length was average.

Maybe he didn't have far to go because he has so much mass in his chest and back....?

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

It's true. He looks like a T-Rex.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

22. The Following User High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post

Sound like coach speak to me.

Peua is one hell of a DT mike ahead of anyone we have under contract.
    Any second or even third tier guy in this draft beats our exsisting guys.

Now we HAVE to spend big bucks to shore up the middle or run the risk being a laughing stock AGAIN abiut run defense.

Not even sure they might even to have to dip into the expensive FA pool twice to become respectable.

24. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

It came down to taking the 6th best tackle on their board, or the #1 safety (which is just as important for our team). They chose to take the #1 safety rather than the 6th best DT.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

26. The Following 6 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information