Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't think we're that far off from being a good defense...

Default I don't think we're that far off from being a good defense...

I think we may have more pieces i place than people may think. For instance, Fox said he's moving Ayers and Doom to DE, which will improve our play on the edge leaps and bounds, and I feel there, Ayers will be able to live up to his first round potential with some solid coaching. Now, with the interior of the D line most likely being addressed in the draft with the selection of a guy like Marcell Dareus and Stephen Paea or Marvin Austin, we could have a pretty dominant defensive line. Our secondary is much better than the stats would indicate, however because of the poor defensive line play, it didn't show. Many fans dont understand (and I don't blame them for it) is that the D line plays an essential role in the success of a secondary. Even an elite secondary will get burned all day long without the presence of a pass rush to create pressure on the quarterback. Even the best defensive backs in the league can only cover a reciever for a short amount of time, so if these recievers are given time to get open and the quarterback is given time to make his reads and find the open guy. The best defenses all have dominant defensive lines. You could have Champ, Nnamdi, Revis, Polamalu and Reed covering your recievers, but without a good pass rush, they can't produce.

With Champ, SydQuan, Perrish, Dawk, Hill, and some other guys in our secondary, we could be pretty good. Of course, Dawk and Champ are getting up there in age, that also needs to be taken into consideration during the draft, but we have some pretty servicable linebackers, some potential at the DE position, that was not utilized properly the past couple of years, so I feel that with Fox's defensive expertise, we could see a turnaround on D faster than some may anticipate.

2. The Following 7 Users High Fived bigtimebronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Barrel Man

Optimism doesn't go over very well in these parts.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived broncobryce For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I think if Denver nails it on getting help for the interior that will go a long, long way to improving the defense.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mario Haggan

I think you're right, but I also think that you didn't address the linebackers. I think we need at least one more starter, and maybe two depending on how Mays pans out. Although I think he could be good.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtimebronco View Post
    I think we may have more pieces i place than people may think. For instance, Fox said he's moving Ayers and Doom to DE, which will improve our play on the edge leaps and bounds, and I feel there, Ayers will be able to live up to his first round potential with some solid coaching. Now, with the interior of the D line most likely being addressed in the draft with the selection of a guy like Marcell Dareus and Stephen Paea or Marvin Austin, we could have a pretty dominant defensive line. Our secondary is much better than the stats would indicate, however because of the poor defensive line play, it didn't show. Many fans dont understand (and I don't blame them for it) is that the D line plays an essential role in the success of a secondary. Even an elite secondary will get burned all day long without the presence of a pass rush to create pressure on the quarterback. Even the best defensive backs in the league can only cover a reciever for a short amount of time, so if these recievers are given time to get open and the quarterback is given time to make his reads and find the open guy. The best defenses all have dominant defensive lines. You could have Champ, Nnamdi, Revis, Polamalu and Reed covering your recievers, but without a good pass rush, they can't produce.

With Champ, SydQuan, Perrish, Dawk, Hill, and some other guys in our secondary, we could be pretty good. Of course, Dawk and Champ are getting up there in age, that also needs to be taken into consideration during the draft, but we have some pretty servicable linebackers, some potential at the DE position, that was not utilized properly the past couple of years, so I feel that with Fox's defensive expertise, we could see a turnaround on D faster than some may anticipate.
    60 yards less per game to be #16.
    50 to crack the top twenty.
    70 TO BE TOP 10.
    120 per game to become #1.

I disagree with people when they say you cant cover all day. yes in a zone coverege eventually the wr will find a spot in the defense. man to man is completly different.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by cuzz4169 View Post
    I disagree with people when they say you cant cover all day. yes in a zone coverege eventually the wr will find a spot in the defense. man to man is completly different.
    I disagree. Eventually you'll have break downs with man coverage. I've watched happen repeatedly over the last two seasons. You give any good quarterback all day to throw and he'll find the open receiver it wont matter what kind of coverage you're in.

12. The Following 5 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

yea happens when you have an avg cb covering. how often does it happen to your good CB's? eventually the line is gonna break down and you will get pressure. CB in nfl can cover man to man for 6 sec. atleast. yes some timing routes are tough to stop. but on certain routes and plays cb's can run all day with wrs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

yea happens when you have an avg cb covering. how often does it happen to your good CB's? eventually the line is gonna break down and you will get pressure. CB in nfl can cover man to man for 6 sec. atleast. yes some timing routes are tough to stop. but on certain routes and plays cb's can run all day with wrs.
    Even if you have some success you wont win championships that way. In the end the better QBs will pick you apart without defensive pressure up front.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Would you care to explain how you cover double, triple, and quadruple moves. After all the receiver is not going to run his original route out of bounds or out of the QB's range.

The routes that you will be seeing will not likely be what you saw on video and prepared for. So if the receiver is nearly an equal athlete as the D-back, he gains a big edge or at least that's the way I remember it.

Have you played corner?
    RIP Cameron, D, & D

17. The Following User High Fived Dean For This Post:

lol no ive never played football. how much time do you think a qb has, even with the worse pass rush? 6, 7, 8 secs at most. triple moves hahaha. i will take champ man to man all day on any wr in the nfl. how many games this year did you see our wrs not get open in man coverage? the second kc game against oakland our wr were locked down. no one could get open and eventualy the pass rush got there. if wrs are getting open 4-5 secs into the pass route i dont give a shit what type of pass rush you got. good cbs can run man to man all day with a wr period. champ does its as does many others. when champ gets beat normally its a zone coverage or an unbelievable pass and catch or one of those tough timing routes.

and im not saying you win championships like that. im saying i dont agree when people say cbs cant cover wrs all day. bc its not just cbs in coverage.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

and im not saying you win championships like that. im saying i dont agree when people say cbs cant cover wrs all day. bc its not just cbs in coverage.
    Agreed there is more than just cornerbacks in coverage but that still doesn't prevent secondaries from breaking down if the quarterback has all day to throw the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Agreed there is more than just cornerbacks in coverage but that still doesn't prevent secondaries from breaking down if the quarterback has all day to throw the ball.
    Making sense apparently is not the way to go.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information