Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: I don't think we're that far off from being a good defense...

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I think we have to take the same philosphies into consideration for Carolina as we do for our own team.

Carolina is a team with a lot of needs on both sides of the ball. DT being maybe the #1 or #2 need of theirs. You have a new coach and a new system, so whatever decision you make is going to affect the team and your career in the long haul. So, you take a look at QB. Any way you slice it, every option in the QB class is a developmental project. There are no clear cut players destined for success. With all the pressure that a revamped organization has on them, is it wise to take the risk on a project QB with the #1 pick? I dont think so. In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if none of the QB's went in the top 5 at all. If I were Rivera and the Carolina organization, I go with the safest pick at a position of great need and that would be Dareus. So, if I were a betting man, I would say there is a 70% chance that Carolina goes with Dareus, 20% they go with Petersen and 10% they go with Newton.

In all seriousness...for just a moment, pretend you are a fan of Carolina or a member of the organization. Would you pick Newton #1 overall? I think if they do, they could be destined to a few more years in the cellar if it doesnt pan out. Yes, he could be the next Vick or McNabb...but he could also be the next Vince Young. Just way too risky to spend the #1 pick on a guy like that.
    I fear you're right, alas. In my own mind, Dareus is the one player I lust after
    for the Broncos. They might not have some terribly sharp knives in the drawer
    over there (hence, the jettisoning of Fox), but it's hard to believe they would
    be so stupid as to pass over Dareus.

But then, maybe I'm only revealing myself as the stupid one in saying this. *shrugs*

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

If we are going to reach at 10 or 11, we may as well reach at 2. Just my humble opinion, but I dont think Fairley, Quinn or Amukamara are available at 10/11 and the rest are a reach.
    I'll probably get flamed, but what about Tyson Smith?

With him, the OL is set for years and if they are content with Austin at 36 they can use the extra pick from trading down for S or LB...

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by SpringsBroncoFan View Post
    I'll probably get flamed, but what about Tyson Smith?

With him, the OL is set for years and if they are content with Austin at 36 they can use the extra pick from trading down for S or LB...
    Only problem there is I really think Dallas will take Smith at #9. I guess I should say that Dallas SHOULD take him at #9. But Jerry Jones loves skill players, so I wont be shocked if he takes Prince instead.

4. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Actually, just about any pick the Panthers make will make sense to me. They could just about close their eyes and point, and they will fill a position of
    need . . .

-----
    U meant denver, right? Lol

Car is set@ oline. Fine @ dline/lb.
    They need all their help on offense skill positions. Especially if they lose ssmith.
    Last edited by rcsodak; 04-27-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Well, that seems to be the consensus with people in the know. Although we don't know for sure, and as turf mentioned, usually we "know" because the #1 overall pick is signing their choice (or top 2 choices) to contracts... so the mystery is out of the bag. They can' do that this year, because they can't sign the draft picks to a contract, yet, anyway.

Although they can't really say (even if they talked to the very GM that will be sending the pick to the commissioner, they couldn't say they know for sure)...it seems to be pretty confident that Carolina is taking Newton.

But.. again, I sure wouldn't be shocked to see them take Dareus.
    For all we know, they might take P2 and denver takes miller......

I just hope teams move back into the late 1st to take qb's. That will help ensure more dt's/de's will be available longer.
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post
    U meant denver, right? Lol

Car is set@ oline. Fine@ dline/lb.
    They need all their help on offense skill positions. Especially if they lose ssmith.
    They have a good DE in Johnson (who is a FA) and potential in Brown and Hardy....but at DT, they really have nothing. They're pretty much the team, other than Denver, that needs DT help immensely. Names like Derek Landri, Andre Neblett, Ed Johnson, Tommie Duhart and Corvey Irvin do not strike fear into the minds of too many people.

LaFell and Gettis looked good on a bad offense, so I dont think WR is the top priority either. DT and QB are the biggest needs for Carolina

They have a good DE in Johnson (who is a FA) and potential in Brown and Hardy....but at DT, they really have nothing. They're pretty much the team, other than Denver, that needs DT help immensely. Names like Derek Landri, Andre Neblett, Ed Johnson, Tommie Duhart and Corvey Irvin do not strike fear into the minds of too many people.

LaFell and Gettis looked good on a bad offense, so I dont think WR is the top priority either. DT and QB are the biggest needs for Carolina
    Ok. Guess I thought injuries hurt their dline.
    Otherwise, we agree. For as sucky bad as their offense was last year, having a defense in the teens is pretty amazing.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post
    Ok. Guess I thought injuries hurt their dline.
    Otherwise, we agree. For as sucky bad as their offense was last year, having a defense in the teens is pretty amazing.
    Has a lot to do with the coaching...which just happens to be on our side now

Has a lot to do with the coaching...which just happens to be on our side now
    Hope you're right, CC.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information