Thread: Riding The Storm Out

Default Riding The Storm Out

Now that the season is well underway, there's plenty to be concerned about here in Bronco-land. The defense is getting picked apart on a weekly basis by bad offenses, and injuries are starting to mount up. Visons of a 2009 Super Bowl victory are fading fast in the rear view mirror for most of us once again.

The good news? Denver has had a change in personnel philosiphy. After watching the Broncos sign big money free agents year after year and make the draft an afterthought, they are now changing gears and going in another direction. The draft has suddenly become the priority, with free agency being used as a supplement. The Broncos are developing thier own talent, and the early results are good on the offensive side of the ball. Guys like Cutler, Marshall, Royal, Clady, Kuper, Harris, Scheffler, Hillis, and Larson are developing into solid players. Some more than others, but all contributing well.

The defensive side of the ball is lagging behind at an astounding rate, which is costing this team wins, and possibly a chance to compete for the Super Bowl in the near future. While the offense is filled with mostly young up and coming players, the defense is, well.....I'm not sure most of us really know exactly what the defense is right now.

The good news is that this team is competitive week in and week out, and they are 4-2, leading the AFC West. Will that hold up through the rest of the season? I expect them to be competitive in nearly every game. There will more than likely be a blowout or two, but that's the price you pay with a young team that plays bad defense.

At this point in the season, I find myself looking at the schedule and thinking that this team will compete for a playoff spot. With 12 rookies on the squad, and coming off of a 7-9 season, I'm pleased with that. Yes, watching the defense makes me want to swallow broken glass.

The 2006 draft was possibly the best one in frnchise history. Cutler, Scheff, Doom, Marshall, and Kuper are great building blocks. We may have gotten a franchise QB, WR, G, and TE in that draft. The 2007 draft is still up for debate, but we may have gotten our franchise RT and DT in the 4 picks we had there. 2008 looks great early on, with a franchise LT in place, a starting FB, WR and punt returner. It's a bit early to tell on the rest of the guys, but there is promise there. The 2009 draft? The Broncos have already positioned themselves for extra picks by trading players that more than likely would have been cut or lost to free agency next year.

There are some intriguing UFA's in the 2009 market. Guys like Albert Haynseworth, Julius Peppers, Terrell Suggs, Tank Johnson, Kevin Carter, will be available for teams looking to boost thier Dline. At the LB spot, Ray Lewis, Mike Peterson, Jonathon Vilma, Bart Scott, and Carlos Dansby are guys that can help a team quickly. Safety is a bit thinner, with Mike Brown, Brian Dawkins, Duwan Landry, and some lesser known players on the market. Will the Broncos reach for a big money free agent or two, or will they follow this season's pattern and try to fill in the gaps with low to mid range salary players, and hope to hit another big draft?

While we watch this team blow big leads, turn the ball over again and again, and give the opposing QB all day to throw...we'll do what we always do. Remain loyal and ride the storm out. The nucleus of this team is younger and more talented than it has been in recent years. Yes, there are many holes to fill on the defensive side of the ball. Champ isn't getting any younger, although watching him on the field it doesn't seem like he's getting any older either.

Just remember one thing Bronco fans. Our storm consists of a frustrating 4-2 team right now, who is in first place in the division and in controll of thier own destiny. We may not win a Super Bowl this year, but we will compete. Oh, what Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit, and Oakland would give to have to ride this storm out. I love this organization!
    Last edited by Ziggy; 10-17-2008 at 07:52 AM.

Nice article, Ziggy!

Like you said, I like that this Bronco team is competitive despite it's obvious weaknesses. Even their loss against Jacksonville was a pretty good game, and that was without our #2,3, and 4 receivers for most of the game. The defense, though it has major holes, have been able to step up in key moments in most games this season.

Ray Lewis .... hmmmm ... I'm wondering how many years of good production does he have left? I want a guy like that leading our defense, then drafting a mike who can learn from him.

3. The Following User High Fived omac For This Post:

I think Lewis still has 2 or 3 good years in him. He's the kind of guy that would come in here and get the young defensive players in line. You just don't take a play off when your MLB is Ray Lewis. He'd have thier butts for lunch.

5. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

who's D is worse... denver or indy?

Quote Originally Posted by mcclaij1 View Post
    who's D is worse... denver or indy?
    denvers for sure

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information