Thread: Team needs: Denver Broncos- PFT

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Default Team needs: Denver Broncos- PFT

Team needs: Denver Broncos
    Posted by Evan Silva on April 14, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT

The Denver Broncos’ “leadership” under Josh McDaniels was so poor that owner Pat Bowlen had to fire the alleged offensive mastermind on December 6of last season. (Bowlen did it on Twitter.)

Left behind was a depleted roster, and hired to replace McDaniels is ex-Panthers coach John Fox. Along with new V.P. of Player Personnel John Elway, Fox will attempt to reestablish a once-proud organization that devolved into a laughingstock under “McD.”

DT: Here’s how Denver’s defensive tackle depth chart reads: Free agent (possibly restricted) Ryan McBean, Kevin Vickerson, Louis Leonard, Mitch Unrein. How many of those guys have you heard of? They’ve combined for 4.5 career sacks, 3.5 of them from six-year veteran Vickerson. It’s easily the worst interior line in football, making Alabama’s Marcell Dareus the Broncos’ obvious choice at No. 2 overall. Value meets need there, to perfection.

LB: The Broncos need help throughout the front seven. D.J. Williams is their only surefire starting linebacker, probably on the weak side. Schematic shift from McDaniels’ old 3-4 to Fox’s 4-3 leaves an abundance of question marks. Is Wesley Woodyard (6-foot, 220) big enough to be an every-down strong-side linebacker? Can Mario Haggan man the middle after playing mostly outside linebacker in a 3-4 the past two seasons? The switch to a new defensive alignment, at least at first glance, has created even more problems.

DB: Denver’s cornerbacks are solid with newly re-signed Champ Bailey at left corner, and Andre’ Goodman battling promising if arrest-prone second-year player Perrish Cox on the right. But Brian Dawkins was one of the poorest coverage safeties in football last season, is entering his age-38 campaign, and has a $6 million salary. We’d have more faith in former second-round pick Darcel McBath as Dawkins’ replacement if McBath could stay off the shelf. To this point, he hasn’t.

OT: The Broncos have one of the league’s better young left tackles in Ryan Clady, and promising interior pieces in Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton, and Chris Kuper. They’re expected to part with free agent right tackle Ryan Harris, however, and replace him with a better run blocker on the strong side.

Overview: Fox and Elway have a hole-filled roster. They could also use upgrades at tight end, running back behind Knowshon Moreno, and arguably defensive end. A traditional, lead-blocking fullback is needed for Fox’s run-heavy philosophy.

And that’s exactly why the Broncos are smokescreening interest in quarterbacks. Elway and Fox realize that the only way teams trade up to No. 2 is if they need signal callers. Denver drafts directly ahead of a franchise quarterback-needy Bills team, and has nothing to lose by feigning fascination with the most important position in all of pro sports. The Broncos have a long, long way to go, and could use lots more picks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-mill/page/2/

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Traveler For This Post:

The Denver Broncos’ “leadership” under Josh McDaniels was so poor that owner Pat Bowlen had to fire the alleged offensive mastermind on December 6of last season. (Bowlen did it on Twitter.)

Left behind was a depleted roster, and hired to replace McDaniels is ex-Panthers coach John Fox. Along with new V.P. of Player Personnel John Elway, Fox will attempt to reestablish a once-proud organization that devolved into a laughingstock under “McD.”...
    But, I was told it was only the Shanahan jock-sniffers that could see "McD" as a complete and total bust? You mean, not everyone else, outside of Denver, sees all the dumping of talent as a "proper" rebuild?? I'm confused

Thanks for sharing Trav.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

4. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

I don't think Haggan takes over in the Middle, I think it will be Mays... but I think he hit on all the key problems. DT, Safety, MLB first..... as well as OL. Throw in a TE, a FB, OLB, RB, and CB in for good measure to get started.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

I'll readily admit to being a "McD" supporter in the beginning. Even defended him in the Cutler fiasco. Still believe he did the right thing there.

He lost my support this year when the team played horribly- especially against OAK- and derided the coaches in front of the owner.

I'll eat crow in that "McD" was given to much authority too soon, was an arrogant SOB, and was a sketchy personnel evaluator. Thankfully, Bowlen & Company finally admitted their mistake, cut their losses, and will begin anew.

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I'll readily admit to being a "McD" supporter in the beginning. Even defended him in the Cutler fiasco. Still believe he did the right thing there.

He lost my support this year when the team played horribly- especially against OAK- and derided the coaches in front of the owner.

I'll eat crow in that "McD" was given to much authority too soon, was an arrogant SOB, and was a sketchy personnel evaluator. Thankfully, Bowlen & Company finally admitted their mistake, cut their losses, and will begin anew.
    Other than Cutler & Marshall, it seems everything McD touched went south....nothing to eat crow about because you gave the guy a wait and see approach and he failed. You're right Bowlen stopped the bleeding before Denver bled out!

Elway and Fox do have work ahead of them and it'll take time (more than just one year) and I hope Denver comes through this draft especially on the defensive side of the ball (dline)! I'll have to see it to believe it though because in past experiences the BRONCOS always throw a curve and a "WTF" in their first picks! Hopefully it's not the same song and dance with a different band!

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I'll have to see it to believe it though because in past experiences the BRONCOS always throw a curve and a "WTF" in their first picks! Hopefully it's not the same song and dance with a different band!

Don't hold your breath on this one. Learned that lesson a long time ago.

I stopped watching the draft years ago for just that reason. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I logon to the BF and no one is asking WTF are they doing?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

The Denver Broncos’ “leadership” under Josh McDaniels was so poor that owner Pat Bowlen had to fire the alleged offensive mastermind on December 6of last season.
    So very true. God, what a trainwreck he was.

12. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information