Thread: Great Cutler Article

Default Great Cutler Article

I didn't see this anywhere.

Two things to take note of. One, that Jay Cutler continues to grow as an NFL quarterback.

The second thing to notice is the quote from Shanahan about the situation surrounding Jake Plummer's demotion. Apparently, Jake lost the job because of poor preparation.

No argument: Cutler a good listener, leader
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post

He was a gunslinger with orders to stay gun shy.

If quarterback Jay Cutler proved anything during the Broncos' 16-13 victory Sunday against Tampa Bay, it was that for all his early season success, he remains coachable.

"Kind of," Cutler said, half-jokingly.

In the previous game at Kansas City, Cutler threw two interceptions to cover-two underneath defenders he didn't see. Tampa Bay is the author of the Tampa Two coverage, hence its name. So despite throwing the ball all over the field in the first four games and recording huge yardage, Cutler obeyed orders by keeping it short against Tampa.

"We knew we might have a few chances here and there and if they came open, they came open," Cutler said. "But I just wasn't going to force anything that game."

It's another way Cutler has grown as a leader. When the star quarterback demonstrates a willingness to be led, it's easier for his teammates to follow coaching instruction. This is in stark contrast to 2006, when then-Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer was seen frequently arguing on the sidelines with coach Mike Shanahan.

The mere mention of Plummer seemed to strike a nerve in Shanahan during his news conference Wednesday.

"First of all, I don't get mad very often," Shanahan said. "If I ever get mad at somebody it's for a very strong reason. People who have seen me through the years, I don't throw my players under the bus. If I do, it's usually in regards to poor preparation. Very poor. When I do, I make a statement — not to that player but to the rest of the team — that it won't be tolerated."

With five games left in the 2006 season, Plummer was replaced, despite a 7-4 record, by Cutler. A rookie that year, Cutler was an up-close witness to the lively discussions between Shanahan and Plummer.

"It's an emotional game," Cutler said. "A very emotional game. There's a lot at stake, there's a lot of pressure, especially on quarterbacks and head coaches. You try to keep it as professional as you can but you're going to have some blowups here and there, some arguments, some disagreements."

Sounds no different from the occasional boss-employee tension in the normal workplace.

"It's just a matter of having respect for each other and being able to talk later, like — 'Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Well, that's what I was thinking' — and let's move on," Cutler said. "Sometimes they struggle a little bit moving on, but we've been good so far."
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived Broncos Mtnman For This Post:

http://www.gazette.com/sports/third_...ng_cutler.html

Here is another one. A lot of people are taking notice of Jay these days!

Cutler becoming a star in third season
    October 8, 2008 - 8:42PM
    FRANK SCHWAB

THE GAZETTE
    ENGLEWOOD • In the time it takes for one of his fastballs to reach the hands of a receiver, Jay Cutler became a star.
    Before this season most people knew about the Denver Broncos quarterback, and those who hadn't probably heard about his battle with Type 1 diabetes. However, he wasn't celebrated nationally and nobody assumed he would become one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL this year.
    Cutler suddenly landed on the short list of elite quarterbacks in just his third season. There's plenty of time to go before a serious MVP discussion can take place. But at this early stage, Cutler, who has 1,502 yards and 10 touchdowns and has been the foundation for the 4-1 Broncos, might win the vote.
    Cutler has said the bar for quarterbacks has been set by Indianapolis' Peyton Manning and New England's Tom Brady. Cutler is playing well, but he said he has big steps to take before approaching that class.
    "You've got to win Super Bowls and that's what those guys do," Cutler said. "You can put up all the stats you want to in the regular season but if you don't get to the playoffs and make stuff happen in the playoffs and get to the Super Bowl, you're not in that level.
    You're just not.
    "And they've been doing it for a number of years, so you have to be consistent. There's a lot of guys that go out and throw for a lot of yards and win ballgames for one year, but it's over an extended period of time. That's what they've been able to do."
    Cutler doesn't seem like he'll fade away anytime soon, and the national media has latched on. Cutler never has sought attention - that role on the team is filled by loquacious receiver Brandon Marshall - but he has handled it. Weekly since the start of the season, Cutler has done an interview with at least one national media outlet. Last week ESPN taped a segment with Cutler for its "Pardon the Interruption" show and the network featured him in its NFL pregame show a couple of weeks ago. NFL Network, Sports Illustrated and The Sporting News also have come calling.
    "It's been fun," Cutler said. "You start winning, you start getting some attention, and that's good for the program, for the franchise."
    The maturation of an NFL quarterback is supposed to take more time. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all. Arizona quarterback Matt Leinart and Tennessee quarterback Vince Young, each drafted ahead of Cutler in the first round in 2006, have struggled at times to handle the attention and haven't played well. They are now backups.
    Cutler has only 26 NFL starts (he has evened his record at 13-13) but he is already the face of the franchise. When Cutler is asked about the hit-or-miss nature of quarterbacks, he speaks from a surprisingly detached angle.
    "Quarterback is such a fickle position, especially coming out of the draft," Cutler said.
    "You don't know what you're going to get. You don't know how guys are going to react to the speed and the pressure and more responsibility."
    Cutler credited being in a good offensive system with a good coach for his seamless development. He said this year's success is because his weapons and offensive line are making his job easy.
    There are other reasons. He has the right package of skills. He's able to read defenses, elude defenders or scramble with his athletic ability, make great throws when he has time and good throws when he doesn't.
    "He has a rifle for an arm, he has real good mobility, tough as hell and I just see a charismatic guy that the team really believes in," Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden said.
    The closest Cutler has come to sounding impressed with his numbers is when he acted surprised when told last week he was on a 5,000-yard pace. Fame and success is coming at him quickly, but Cutler said he hasn't had time to notice.
    "At the end of the year that's when you look at all this stuff, go back and break up the tape and say ‘You know, we did pretty well,'" Cutler said. "But it goes by so quick. The work week, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, you're always doing something, always preparing. I try to not worry about that stuff."
    -
    Contact the writer: 476-4891 or frank.schwab@gazette.com. Check out our Broncos blog at gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Hobe For This Post:

Default Cutler is the Man

It is so nice to have a REAL Franchise quarterback in Jay Cutler. That term gets thrown around so wildly, it is embarrassing. Cutler is calm in the pocket, is calm after mistakes, and makes plays.
    Denver Broncos All-Time Team
    Do you know who the Greatest Denver Broncos players of all-time are?
    Know your Denver Broncos Team History!

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman
    "First of all, I don't get mad very often," Shanahan said. "If I ever get mad at somebody it's for a very strong reason. People who have seen me through the years, I don't throw my players under the bus. If I do, it's usually in regards to poor preparation. Very poor. When I do, I make a statement — not to that player but to the rest of the team — that it won't be tolerated."
    Other pro coaches can learn from this. The "great-again" Randy Moss wouldn't listen to Art Shell; he'd practice when he wanted to practice. Shell couldn't put out that situation, and as a result, that Raiders team was undisciplined and unprepared. When Kiffin still had some say in personnel, he got rid of Moss because of his attitude, and the Raiders became a much more competitive team.

Btw, I'm definitely not comparing Moss to anyone on our team, but Shanny showed he won't tolerate any of that. He further proved it when he jettisoned Henry and Walker.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information