Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet, Exercise, Supplements thread

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Default Diet, Exercise, Supplements thread

ALL THINGS FITNESS!!!

Do you have a question about Diet? Do you have any advice to give? Weight loss, weight gain, maintaining?

Exercise? Weights, Cardio, routines?

Supplements? vitamins ? Healthy Recipes?

If you have any questions regarding anything that has to do with fitness post here.

Any input you have about any of the above topics or a different topic, post here.

so this thread is allowed to get high jacked?

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by KCLady View Post
    so this thread is allowed to get high jacked?
    NO!

Why would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    ALL THINGS FITNESS!!!

Do you have a question about Diet? Do you have any advice to give? Weight loss, weight gain, maintaining?

If you have any questions regarding anything that has to do with fitness post here.

Any input you have about any of the above topics or a different topic, post here.
    I am so guilty of not exercising nearly enough WTM! I think I still have the information you gave me last year for working out around my left knee (no acl from track years). That was something you did for me that meant a lot, so I really should put it into action and commit myself to the routine!

I do have a question for you....
    Besides working out, are there specific things I can eat or take (vitamins, etc) that would give me a boost of energy or additional energy in my morning?

I love this thread, thanks.

ALL THINGS FITNESS!!!

WTM...Unless I am reading this wrong....you said and I quote" Any input you have about any of the above topics or a different topic,post here."

thats why I asked if this thread was allowed to get highjacked?
    Don't worry....I won't jack your thread.

ill jack it...

________
    Web shows
    Last edited by anton...; 08-31-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by -HW- View Post
    I am so guilty of not exercising nearly enough WTM! I think I still have the information you gave me last year for working out around my left knee (no acl from track years). That was something you did for me that meant a lot, so I really should put it into action and commit myself to the routine!

I do have a question for you....
    Besides working out, are there specific things I can eat or take (vitamins, etc) that would give me a boost of energy or additional energy in my morning?

I love this thread, thanks.
    HW what do you eat for breakfast? LEts start there.

It all starts with a good well rounded solid breakfast. I am not sure what you do, if any, for breakfast but you need to pack in good whole foods....eggs, egg whites, oatmeal, 100% whole grain bread, tortilla's, or pita bread, fruits. My favorite is some scrambled eggs with cut up veggies ( bell peppers, onions, brocolli, tomatoes ) and 2 whole grain tortillas. Or I like a 1/2 cup of oatmeal ( not instant ) with two scoops of protein powder and a scoop of natural peanut butter. If not the PB, some mixed berries.

2nd, you need a good multi vitamin first thing in the day. I am not talking about just going to Walmart or you local supermarket and buying the one a day's either...( although that is better then nothing). You can go to GNC or a local health store and get a good one. I take one that is literrally 9 pills called Animal Pak. Its amazing. Pricey. Comes in a can of 44 individually packed pills. All it is in Vitamins and Minerals and it really does help me get through the day. Its hard to get the complete nutrition you need daily just through food. Thats why a multi is paramount for sustaining energy throughout the day.

3rd, eat a snack 2 1/2 - 3 hours after your breakfast before lunch. This could be anything from a banana and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese to a protein shake. You need something in between your breakfast and lunch to sustain energy levels. THis will boost your metabolism in the morning and keep you going. From here on out, try and get in 5 -6 small meals throughout the day. Instead of the old concept of 3 square meals a day, but those 3 meals in half to make 6. You will see quite a difference in your energy levels not only in the morning but all day long.

4th, if you can mix in some form of exercise. First thing in the morning works well for some. If you are having a problem with energy early or later in the morning, do some form of exercise first thing. That will help also.

Hope this helps a little for you.

HW what do you eat for breakfast? LEts start there.

It all starts with a good well rounded solid breakfast. I am not sure what you do, if any, for breakfast but you need to pack in good whole foods....eggs, egg whites, oatmeal, 100% whole grain bread, tortilla's, or pita bread, fruits. My favorite is some scrambled eggs with cut up veggies ( bell peppers, onions, brocolli, tomatoes ) and 2 whole grain tortillas. Or I like a 1/2 cup of oatmeal ( not instant ) with two scoops of protein powder and a scoop of natural peanut butter. If not the PB, some mixed berries.

2nd, you need a good multi vitamin first thing in the day. I am not talking about just going to Walmart or you local supermarket and buying the one a day's either...( although that is better then nothing). You can go to GNC or a local health store and get a good one. I take one that is literrally 9 pills called Animal Pak. Its amazing. Pricey. Comes in a can of 44 individually packed pills. All it is in Vitamins and Minerals and it really does help me get through the day. Its hard to get the complete nutrition you need daily just through food. Thats why a multi is paramount for sustaining energy throughout the day.

3rd, eat a snack 2 1/2 - 3 hours after your breakfast before lunch. This could be anything from a banana and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese to a protein shake. You need something in between your breakfast and lunch to sustain energy levels. THis will boost your metabolism in the morning and keep you going. From here on out, try and get in 5 -6 small meals throughout the day. Instead of the old concept of 3 square meals a day, but those 3 meals in half to make 6. You will see quite a difference in your energy levels not only in the morning but all day long.

4th, if you can mix in some form of exercise. First thing in the morning works well for some. If you are having a problem with energy early or later in the morning, do some form of exercise first thing. That will help also.

Hope this helps a little for you.
    Breakfast....uh-oh. I never eat breakfast. Why? Right after I eat, I get very sleepy, sluggish. It bugs the heck out of me. Half the time I don't eat lunch, because of the same problem. Basically, I eat dinner, and that's the only routine meal of the day I have. I will try the eggs and whole grain breads - fast and like them both well. Also, I like oatmeal, but what type of protein powder do you recommend using?----This one I could see would be very feasible for me. Animal Pak - GNC.... yep, pricey, but I'd consider trying it for awhile at least. http://www.gnc.com/search/index.jsp?...mal%20pak&sr=1. But WTM, I just found this site that sells that Animal Pak for $16.99 ---- http://www.fitnessone.com/animal-pak-p-376.html. Big difference in price! I'm going to order me some right this very minute!

Adopted Bronco:
    That old guy in the barrel

Animal Pak is for people who have serious muscle-weight gain goals. HW, unless you're looking to become the next WWE diva, I don't think that's a good idea for you. Besides, I tried Animal Pak, and swallowing that regimen of pills every morning got real old real quick. Some of them are pretty damn big, and unless you've got your gag reflex trained pretty well, you might end up choking/spitting them across the room.

GNC's line of vitamins are very good. They're time release, which means that your body does a better job of absorbing the vitamins and nutrients inside the supplement, and they're also high quality.

Check out Women's Ultra Mega. It's probably what you're looking for.

On meals: Like WTM said, breakfast is extremely important. You need to get your metabolism going early in the day, because that will help keep your body lean and burn more calories throughout the day. If you're sluggish after a meal, it's probably because you're eating a large amount of carbohydrates when you eat. Now, I've been doing the low carb thing for a while, and I've noticed that my overall energy level is up because I don't feel the fatigue I used to feel after I eat. If you're eating lots of starchy food, try to switch to stuff that's higher in fiber - fiber cancels out carbohydrates, not to mention the other benefits for your lower GI.
    I win. ™

Hear me roar!

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Breakfast....uh-oh. I never eat breakfast. Why? Right after I eat, I get very sleepy, sluggish. It bugs the heck out of me. Half the time I don't eat lunch, because of the same problem. Basically, I eat dinner, and that's the only routine meal of the day I have. I will try the eggs and whole grain breads - fast and like them both well. Also, I like oatmeal, but what type of protein powder do you recommend using?----This one I could see would be very feasible for me. Animal Pak - GNC.... yep, pricey, but I'd consider trying it for awhile at least. http://www.gnc.com/search/index.jsp?...mal%20pak&sr=1. But WTM, I just found this site that sells that Animal Pak for $16.99 ---- http://www.fitnessone.com/animal-pak-p-376.html. Big difference in price! I'm going to order me some right this very minute!
    Fitness one is exactly who I get mine from.... I am sorry, I failed to mention buying online. While you are on that site, recearch whey protein powders. You can usually get a tube for around $25 or so and it will have over 90 servings. It will last you a long time.

BUT..you can't take the Pak on an empty stomach or without food. YOU MUST START EATING. If you are feeling sluggish after your meal, you might be eating too much food at one time. To start off, try having a boiled egg and peice of whole grain toast and an apple or something. You need to jump start your metabolism in the morning and in return it will give you energy because your body has something to do while you are at work or wherever you are in the mornings.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
    Animal Pak is for people who have serious muscle-weight gain goals. HW, unless you're looking to become the next WWE diva, I don't think that's a good idea for you. Besides, I tried Animal Pak, and swallowing that regimen of pills every morning got real old real quick. Some of them are pretty damn big, and unless you've got your gag reflex trained pretty well, you might end up choking/spitting them across the room.

GNC's line of vitamins are very good. They're time release, which means that your body does a better job of absorbing the vitamins and nutrients inside the supplement, and they're also high quality.

On meals: Like WTM said, breakfast is extremely important. You need to get your metabolism going early in the day, because that will help keep your body lean and burn more calories throughout the day. If you're sluggish after a meal, it's probably because you're eating a large amount of carbohydrates when you eat. Now, I've been doing the low carb thing for a while, and I've noticed that my overall energy level is up because I don't feel the fatigue I used to feel after I eat. If you're eating lots of starchy food, try to switch to stuff that's higher in fiber - fiber cancels out carbohydrates, not to mention the other benefits for your lower GI.
    Good to see you WHoDey...

And you are right. HW, the Pak is probably not the best multi to take for you unless you are hitting the gym hard. GOod call WhoDey.

The Spapak would be a better choice for you. Its on fitnessone and only runs about $8.

Too many carbs can leave you sluggish and have a bloating effect or feeling as well. You definately need a good balance and never have carbs by themselves. WIth every meal, try and get in a portion of protein. You can have protein without the carbs, but try to stay away from carbs without a protein. And DON'T forget about getting in your fats also. WIth any meal you can substitute your carbs with fats...PB, nuts, flaxseed oil, olive oil, avacado's..etc. Fats are a great sourch for energy if you have the right kind.
    Last edited by Watchthemiddle; 09-03-2007 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post

Don't go and me like that WD. here's more on animal pak. It's actually the top multivitamin/mineral (nutritional supplement) for Olympians. Yes, they do talk about it in the light of pumping up the muscles, but only in the sense of energy depletion from a lack of nutrients. Well, let's say....that's what I got out of the article and information on it anyhow. I ordered 2 WTM, I'll give it a chance. I don't know for sure, just going off what the article discusses about it. I doubt Olympians often want to gain weight, but have to spend a great deal of their time watching their weight and even dieting. It does discuss, for those in intense training, to double-up on the amount daily (for intense workouts). Talk to me WD, what is it you know that tells you this is for 'gaining' weight? And thanks.

Adopted Bronco:
    That old guy in the barrel

Don't go and me like that WD. here's more on animal pak. It's actually the top multivitamin/mineral (nutritional supplement) for Olympians. Yes, they do talk about it in the light of pumping up the muscles, but only in the sense of energy depletion from a lack of nutrients. Well, let's say....that's what I got out of the article and information on it anyhow. I ordered 2 WTM, I'll give it a chance. I don't know for sure, just going off what the article discusses about it. I doubt Olympians often want to gain weight, but have to spend a great deal of their time watching their weight and even dieting. It does discuss, for those in intense training, to double-up on the amount daily (for intense workouts). Talk to me WD, what is it you know that tells you this is for 'gaining' weight? And thanks.
    Take a look at the nutritional information on the site - see all of those amino acid entries? Amino acids are the building blocks of muscle, and will benefit someone who's looking to get big in a relatively short period of time. Of course, will you become Chyna just by taking the vitamins? Nope, you need to put your time in at the gym for that to happen (and probably hit the clear and cream... and probably get a sex change, but that's okay). The Animal Pak that WTM uses simply isn't geared toward your goals.

Will it work? Sure. Will it be the ideal product? There are better out there for you.
    I win. ™

Hear me roar!

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Your not going to gain weight by taking the Pak. Aminos are needed in everyones diet. They help the body function properly. Everyone knows they help in the repair of muscles, but they also help repair organs, nails, hair, your skin, and ligaments. Being deficient in one of them can compromise your health. They can also have some therapeutic benifits as well.

It can be used while trying to cut or bulk or just for everyday life. Is it more effective to take if you are training..yes. Can you take it if you are not training...yes. Its mega doses of Vitamins and Minerals that bodybuilders, weight trainers, or endurance athletes need while doing high intensity training. Its not going to hurt you if you are worried about that.

Your not going to gain weight by taking the Pak. Aminos are needed in everyones diet. They help the body function properly. Everyone knows they help in the repair of muscles, but they also help repair organs, nails, hair, your skin, and ligaments. Being deficient in one of them can compromise your health. They can also have some therapeutic benifits as well.

It can be used while trying to cut or bulk or just for everyday life. Is it more effective to take if you are training..yes. Can you take it if you are not training...yes. Its mega doses of Vitamins and Minerals that bodybuilders, weight trainers, or endurance athletes need while doing high intensity training. Its not going to hurt you if you are worried about that.
    I'm not worried WTM....2 paks on their way to my mailbox! Thank you.

Did you see the price from Fitness One? Better?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information