Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: The Military Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Quote Originally Posted by BMF Bronco View Post
    Thanks for the link. Bring him on back, charge him as a deserter and lock him up. The military "lied" to him?! Dude, WTF do you think the military does you ******* moron?! I love how some of the comments on there are defending the guy for his cowardice. Regardless of your opinion on the war, you know what you're getting into when you raise your right hand and say that oath. I would love to see how many of those who left a comment on that page have served any time in the military! Ugh, that pisses me off, sorry!
    There's alot of bleeding heart tree huggers up here. But there are also many who support the military, both Canadian and US. My wife's kid brother is in Afganistan right now fighting for our rights and freedom.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Flatinum For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Just got done watching an HBO special called "Section 60: Arlington National Cemetary"

SECTION 60: ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY provides rare, intimate glimpses of the loss, love and pride felt by Section 60 visitors, underscoring the human toll exacted by the military conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, while honoring those who sacrificed their lives for their country. Jon Alpert and Matthew O'Neill capture the sights and sounds of this quiet pocket of Arlington National Cemetery, where families and friends grieve, honor, remember and find comfort and community with others who share profound loss. A reverent snapshot of the ever-expanding Section 60, the film comprises vignettes shot from early morning to sundown.

Mourners ranging from young widows and family members to fiances and fellow soldiers visit Section 60 to try and connect in spiritual and physical ways with the loved ones they've lost. The parents of a Muslim serviceman tell how they moved to the U.S. 25 years earlier to pursue the freedoms for which their son died. A group of mourners mark the anniversary of a soldier's death by playing a patriotic country ballad on a boom box. A father camps out on his son's grave with a quilt, a bottle of bourbon, and one of two "Iraqi freedom cigars" his son had sent from Iraq, with the promise to smoke it on his return. The sister of a fallen soldier calls Section 60 "one of the most honorable places in America."

SECTION 60: ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY originated when HBO's Sheila Nevins called Paula Zwillinger, the mother of a young soldier who died in "Baghdad ER," on the anniversary of her son's death - and learned she was at Arlington visiting his grave. Nevins felt that the cemetery could provide a fitting coda to HBO's previous Iraq documentaries and enlisted Jon Alpert and Matthew O'Neill to contact Armed Services officials. Granted extraordinary access to the site, Alpert and O'Neill "embedded" themselves into the fabric of daily life in Section 60, capturing landscapes, families, friends and officials. Over the course of four months in 2007, they filmed on a daily basis, earning the trust of families who shared some of their most personal moments.

Since the Civil War, Arlington National Cemetery has been the nation's preeminent burial ground for military personnel. Over 300,000 people are buried in an area of more than 600 acres, including veterans from all the nation's wars. Funerals average 28 a day, with about 6,400 burials annually. Nearly four million people visit Arlington each year.
    It's a pretty powerful show. Seeing these guys' kids and wives and parents who lost husbands and fathers and sons kind of puts things in perspective. I recommend everyone give it a watch because whatever description I give doesn't really do it justice.

4. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Just got done watching an HBO special called "Section 60: Arlington National Cemetary"

It's a pretty powerful show. Seeing these guys' kids and wives and parents who lost husbands and fathers and sons kind of puts things in perspective. I recommend everyone give it a watch because whatever description I give doesn't really do it justice.
    We went by Fort Logan for a football game a few weeks ago and my 10 year old asked why there were so many white tombstones, when I explained it to her she had tears in her eyes. I was very proud of her at that moment. Going by there and seeing the thousands of tombstones, if you don't feel something for those men and women, there is definately something wrong with you.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

You'd be surprised at the amount of people that could drive by something like that and not feel a thing.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    ME!

Just a quick word of thanks out to all my fellow veterans on this eve of Veteran's Day.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Thanks man.

10. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Feel a bit like an old dog having read some of the stories on this thread.

enlisted USN in 77. Gave Uncle Sam 8 years active in Personnel (PN1/E6). Spent some time in the Phillippines, Guam and the sub base in WA state.

to those serving and those who have served.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I'm thinking about re-enlisting for another six years.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I'm thinking about re-enlisting for another six years.
    I'm not altogether surprised to hear that to be honest...

So what's making you think about sticking around?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I'm not altogether surprised to hear that to be honest...

So what's making you think about sticking around?
    I don't know. I'm conflicted. I want to re-enlist, but I don't want to serve under a Democrat President. I want to stay in because my job is the poop. I just got offered a 60-day trip to Germany. I've been offered a trip to Vegas and another one to Florida. All three within the past two weeks. I turned down the Germany trip though because I want to be home for my son's birthday on Dec 19th. As a first termer, I am entitled to a BOP (Base of Preference) so I'm going to go to the assignments office next week and put in my application to go to either Luke AFB in the Phoenix area or Davis-Monthan in Tucson so I can be closer to my son. I'd like to stay on C-130s, so DM would be good for me. But working fighters (F-16s) at Luke would be cool and I'd be 10 minutes from my son. My son is going to make my mind for me. I want to be close to him. If I can't get my BOP, I will get out of active duty and join the ANG unit at Sky Harbor International in Phoenix and work full time as a technician on the KC-135s they have there. The only shitty thing is, if I get my BOP, is there is a chance I could get PCSed to another base half way through my re-enlistment and get taken away from my son again. I dunno. We'll see. I need to do some thinking.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I don't know. I'm conflicted. I want to re-enlist, but I don't want to serve under a Democrat President. I want to stay in because my job is the poop. I just got offered a 60-day trip to Germany. I've been offered a trip to Vegas and another one to Florida. All three within the past two weeks. I turned down the Germany trip though because I want to be home for my son's birthday on Dec 19th. As a first termer, I am entitled to a BOP (Base of Preference) so I'm going to go to the assignments office next week and put in my application to go to either Luke AFB in the Phoenix area or Davis-Monthan in Tucson so I can be closer to my son. I'd like to stay on C-130s, so DM would be good for me. But working fighters (F-16s) at Luke would be cool and I'd be 10 minutes from my son. My son is going to make my mind for me. I want to be close to him. If I can't get my BOP, I will get out of active duty and join the ANG unit at Sky Harbor International in Phoenix and work full time as a technician on the KC-135s they have there. The only shitty thing is, if I get my BOP, is there is a chance I could get PCSed to another base half way through my re-enlistment and get taken away from my son again. I dunno. We'll see. I need to do some thinking.
    Don't let the Democrat CIC factor into your decision. You know as well as I do you work for your CO and the men in your immediate shop. Things were certainly different under Clinton, and things will change again, but more the funding side of things. Other than that, you're still an Airman turning wrenches.

Give it a lot of thought and do what's right for you. Talk to some of your fellow Airmen. How many do you know that got out and came back in a year later because they missed it so much?

I know that's a recurring theme in the Marines.

17. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Don't let the Democrat CIC factor into your decision. You know as well as I do you work for your CO and the men in your immediate shop. Things were certainly different under Clinton, and things will change again, but more the funding side of things. Other than that, you're still an Airman turning wrenches.

Give it a lot of thought and do what's right for you. Talk to some of your fellow Airmen. How many do you know that got out and came back in a year later because they missed it so much?

I know that's a recurring theme in the Marines.
    As a matter of fact, we have one guy, SSgt Reyes, who was out for a year and came back in. Super good dude too. We had another guy, who was my first supervisor when I got here in '04, SSgt Gabeaux, who got out, got his CDL, hated driving trucks, and came back in and went to Germany on a long tour. A lot of people want out, but they brought re-enlistment bonuses back for my career field. I'm thinking about deploying in Feb and re-enlisting while I'm there so I can get my bonus tax free.

But then again, I get tired of the bullshit too though. Is this something I want to do for the next 15 years until I can retire? I mean, if I re-enlist for six more years (which I would have to to get the bonus), that would give me 12 years total TIS and it would be pointless to get out after 12. But then again, I've got knee problems that require an MEB if I have surgery, which I'll need to. The pros outweigh the cons, minus the possibility of having to spend time away from my son. Of course, if I could go to Luke or DM, I'd be coming back HOME after deployments, which would be nice, and I could stockpile leave like a mother******. I need to talk to my First Sergeant about it and see what he says. He's good people.

I almost called you today, by the way.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

As a matter of fact, we have one guy, SSgt Reyes, who was out for a year and came back in. Super good dude too. We had another guy, who was my first supervisor when I got here in '04, SSgt Gabeaux, who got out, got his CDL, hated driving trucks, and came back in and went to Germany on a long tour. A lot of people want out, but they brought re-enlistment bonuses back for my career field. I'm thinking about deploying in Feb and re-enlisting while I'm there so I can get my bonus tax free.

But then again, I get tired of the bullshit too though. Is this something I want to do for the next 15 years until I can retire? I mean, if I re-enlist for six more years (which I would have to to get the bonus), that would give me 12 years total TIS and it would be pointless to get out after 12. But then again, I've got knee problems that require an MEB if I have surgery, which I'll need to. The pros outweigh the cons, minus the possibility of having to spend time away from my son. Of course, if I could go to Luke or DM, I'd be coming back HOME after deployments, which would be nice, and I could stockpile leave like a mother******. I need to talk to my First Sergeant about it and see what he says. He's good people.

I almost called you today, by the way.
    You can call me anytime man, the phones always on.

Six more ranks means climbing higher in the food chain and less BS, sort of. It really just turns into different BS, but it's not bad at all.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Six more ranks would have me out of the enlisted rank structure. I'm an E-5.

The bullshit I have to deal with now is just immense. I supervise three younger kids and have four more on the way. So I have all that to deal with on top of my job. It just wears on me.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Six more ranks would have me out of the enlisted rank structure. I'm an E-5.

The bullshit I have to deal with now is just immense. I supervise three younger kids and have four more on the way. So I have all that to deal with on top of my job. It just wears on me.
    Ranks.... damn i'm tired. Long day. Before too long supervising and training them will be your job.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information