Thread: Smith, union leadership at contract odds (2009 article)

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Smith, union leadership at contract odds (2009 article)

Geez - this IDIOT had MAJOR demands when he negotiated his own contract, when he took over when Gene Upshaw passed away No wonder it does NOT bother him to try to take the owners to the cleaners - seems it is his way.

Nearly six weeks after he was elected as Gene Upshaw's successor, new NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith is without a contract. And based on an NFLPA executive committee memo from last week, the two sides remain far apart on several components of a potential deal.

The memo, from labor attorney Stephen M. Saxon to members of the union's executive committee, was obtained by ESPN. Dated April 16, it includes details and a synopsis of a recent executive committee conference call, during which Smith's proposal for a five-year contract was "the major topic of discussion" and was "discussed ... at length" by the 11-man committee.

A member of the executive committee confirmed the existence of the memo and its contents.

While "no final decisions were made" between Smith's proposal and the package proposed by the executive committee, it is clear that major differences exist in the current stances of the two sides.

Primary among the several areas of disagreement is salary. Smith's proposal calls for an annual income of between $3.2 million and $3.7 million for the first three years of the contract, including a $500,000 signing bonus. The executive committee has proposed that Smith not be paid a signing bonus, and that his salary range for the first three years of the contract be between $1 million and $2 million annually.

Assuming the highest-level salaries for each side's proposal, the difference is $5.6 million.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4087237

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

entitlement?

*Let everybody know that the aforementioned post is PURELY my uninformed opinion, and by NO MEANS is meant to portray I know more than the next guy.*
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

3. The Following User High Fived rcsodak For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

football was just fine before this guy got there. What he's doing to those poor owners against the players wishes is despicable.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Isn't this the one that is now dissolved?
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

Wow. I had no idea he made that kind of money. No wonder the Unions fight so hard to stay "in business".
    Thanks Shake!

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    Isn't this the one that is now dissolved?
    I started the thread to show what Smith's own demands were when he took over for Upshaw. It would be interesting to see what kind of a contract he finally ended up with, but I could not believe that he wanted a $500,000 signing bonus, on top of the enormous salary he wanted

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    I started the thread to show what Smith's own demands were when he took over for Upshaw. It would be interesting to see what kind of a contract he finally ended up with, but I could not believe that he wanted a $500,000 signing bonus, on top of the enormous salary he wanted
    Greed.
    Merry.

9. The Following User High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Wow. I had no idea he made that kind of money. No wonder the Unions fight so hard to stay "in business".
    Exactly. That's why most people don't dislike the union members.....just the top dogs.

11. The Following User High Fived rcsodak For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

This article tells all about DeMaurice Smith, but I found the following interesting:

[
    B]Smith is an NFL outsider who has no labor law experience,[/B] but has ties to President Barack Obama and worked with new U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder. He's a trial lawyer and partner at the influential Washington-based Patton Boggs, and chair of the firm's government investigations and white collar practice group. He has represented Fortune 500 companies in numerous cases. A native Washingtonian, Smith earned his law degree at Virginia in 1989, and has been a frequent guest commentator on many cable television news programs.
    full article - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11506262

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    This article tells all about DeMaurice Smith, but I found the following interesting:

[

full article - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11506262
    Brings to mind the episode where barry's college prof buddy was questioned by the white cop. Wonder how long before we hear another racial-toned attack?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Unions are destroying this country. They're obsolete and destructive to economic growth. With organizations like OSHA in place the Unions only fight for their own greed now.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoStud For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information