Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Nflpa asks 2011 draft class to boycott draft

Look at how many of these players signed big contracts...now they don't want to stick with their contracts..is there something I'm not understanding?

As far as how long these guys live...not sure I buy into that...there's plenty of players still around that played years ago when there weren't any of the rules that are in place now.The players weren't as protected as they are now.

Hell I've known plenty of people who died fairly young who never played football.

Also the Chiefs signed Eric Berry to a huge contract when he was drafted last season.Made him the highest paid safety in the NFL..Is his contract now void?

2. The Following User High Fived KCL For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Wow, you are really buying what the NFLPA is selling...

You threw out a lot of numbers, which I can neither prove nor disprove. However, I have a hard time believing that the average life expectency is a full 20 years shorter for players. Especially if your stat about the average career being three years long is correct. There is no way both of those numbers can be right.

Furthermore, even after taking a haircut, they are still going to be paid exorbitant salaries. I just don't even have one tiny bit of sympathy for them.
    you choose your career! If I wanted to die early from the effects of my job, I would have been a welder! I have no sympathy for NFL players as well.....Robert Smith knew he didn't want that life and stepped away!!

4. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

KCL

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by KCL View Post
    Look at how many of these players signed big contracts...now they don't want to stick with their contracts..is there something I'm not understanding?

As far as how long these guys live...not sure I buy into that...there's plenty of players still around that played years ago when there weren't any of the rules that are in place now.The players weren't as protected as they are now.

Hell I've known plenty of people who died fairly young who never played football.

Also the Chiefs signed Eric Berry to a huge contract when he was drafted last season.Made him the highest paid safety in the NFL..Is his contract now void?
    Huh? The players are not on strike; they are being locked out. The OWNERS are preventing the players from going to the team facility and otherwise playing out the season at this point, NOT the other way around. Why do people keep getting this mixed up? Just because you want to blame the players for the current mess does not change the facts. There is plenty of blame to go around for the current situation, but can people at least go read the situation and lay blames where blames are due instead of just making things up or going with assumptions of "THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT TO PLAY!"

Decertifying was all about players who are currently under contract being able to play under their existing contracts. Antitrust litigation is an aim to block the lockout on the grounds that there is no union to lock out rather each player has an independent contract with an independent business so the businesses would have to honor their end of contracts with their employees because there is no union to lock out.

6. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by zbeg View Post
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...4058615722.htm
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lifexpec.htm

As for the 59 year life expectancy figure, that's on the high end, depending on position. As low as 53.

http://www.seattlepi.com/football/36...lhealth09.html

So I might have understated how early they die.

Millions of dollars, or living an extra 20-25 years? I know what choice I'd take.
    Couple of things: The Seattlepi.com link does say the average life expectency is 53-59, but it's based on one doctor's opinion who has screened approximately 35 former players. While it is does provide some basis for further investigation, I wouldn't say that it's based on a statistically significant sample size. Frankly, I find it somewhat unbelievable.

Either way, it's a moot point, the player safety discussion is almost irrelevant to this discussion IMO. It's a tactic used by the NFLPA to shift the focus.

If we believe Kevin Mawae that the owners are asking the players to take a 20% paycut, then we're talking about going from an average annual salary of $1.9 million to $1.5 million. Or $750,000 to $600,000 based on the median figure. (I tend to think the paycut would be less than that considering 20% is the figure Mawae quoted 14 months ago before either side began serious negotiations.)

Anyway, my point is that these players are still going to be millionaires. They are still getting a great salary to play a game for a living. We're not asking them to live below the poverty line here - or anywhere close to it for that matter. If they don't want to work for the price, let the owners find someone who will.
    Last edited by Buff; 03-14-2011 at 09:17 PM.

8. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Couple of things: The Seattlepi.com link does say the average life expectency is 53-59, but it's based on one doctor's opinion who has screened approximately 35 former players. While it is does provide some basis for further investigation, I wouldn't say that it's based on any sound statistical data. Frankly, I find it somewhat unbelievable.

Either way, it's a moot point, the player safety discussion is almost irrelevant to this discussion IMO. It's a tactic used by the NFLPA to shift the focus.

If we believe Kevin Mawae that the owners are asking the players to take a 20% paycut, then we're talking about going from an average annual salary of $1.9 million to $1.5 million. Or $750,000 to $600,000 based on the median figure. (I tend to think the paycut would be less than that considering 20% is the figure Mawae quote three months ago before either side began serious negotiations.)

Anyway, my point is that these players are still going to be millionaires. They are still getting a great salary to play a game for a living. We're not asking them to live below the poverty line here - or anywhere close to it for that matter. If they don't want to work for the price, let the owners find someone who will.
    What Mawae is saying is also completely misleading. Not a single active player in the NFL will lose ONE RED CENT. Nobody currently being paid is taking a pay cut. The only potential "pay cut" is what may be paid to future players.

Poor worthless douche bags like Jawalrus Russel won't get paid 50 million dollars guaranteed before they take a single snap... Are the players really fighting for that?

BTW, that article is from over a year ago.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    If the player's union were still a union and not a trade association
    If it looks like a , walks like a and quacks like a ; then its a

The players' non-union union is still a union no matter what ridiculous technicality that some high priced lawyer can come up with.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Huh? The players are not on strike; they are being locked out. The OWNERS are preventing the players from going to the team facility and otherwise playing out the season at this point, NOT the other way around. Why do people keep getting this mixed up? Just because you want to blame the players for the current mess does not change the facts. There is plenty of blame to go around for the current situation, but can people at least go read the situation and lay blames where blames are due instead of just making things up or going with assumptions of "THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT TO PLAY!"

Decertifying was all about players who are currently under contract being able to play under their existing contracts. Antitrust litigation is an aim to block the lockout on the grounds that there is no union to lock out rather each player has an independent contract with an independent business so the businesses would have to honor their end of contracts with their employees because there is no union to lock out.
    Well I did ask if there was something I wasn't understanding...either way..it sounds as if the players and the owners don't want to budge.

From reading through this whole thread and other articles..are people getting all the correct info?

Millionaires and Billionaires arguing about money when like slick said in another thread...some people are without jobs and struggling to make ends meet.

We the fans more than likely don't even know everything that is involved with this.All I know is it sounds like a load of BS...SELFISH IDIOTS..ALL OF THEM..IMO.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived KCL For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by KCL View Post
    Well I did ask if there was something I wasn't understanding...either way..it sounds as if the players and the owners don't want to budge.

From reading through this whole thread and other articles..are people getting all the correct info?

Millionaires and Billionaires arguing about money when like slick said in another thread...some people are without jobs and struggling to make ends meet.

We the fans more than likely don't even know everything that is involved with this.All I know is it sounds like a load of BS...SELFISH IDIOTS..ALL OF THEM..IMO.
    Whole situation reeks of greed, really but I'll go ahead and simplify it the best I can.

The owners gave the players a monster deal last CBA negotiations then opted out 2 years ago.
    Meanwhile, owners had negotiated television contract, staff contracts, and even some player contracts to prepare them to save money in the event that if they had to lockout the players to get themselves a better deal next negotiations, they were prepared to do so.
    Osi Umenyora is a plaintiff to allege that the owners had colluded to give incentive laden contracts for the 2011 season to avoid paying players in the event of a lockout.
    The players all along have been willing to extend the old CBA, this has never been about them receiving more money or a bigger chunk of the pie they had already.

Anyways, as everyone had suspected, the owners were going to ask for money back. How much? The players asked.
    The owners said $1 billion. The players balked and they wanted to see the evidence.
    The owners said okay, maybe we asked for too much. $600 million instead? The players said possibly, but if you want money back we'll need to see your books from the last 10 years to verify you guys actually need it for your operational costs and you aren't just blowing it overpaying family members.
    Owners said, can't we just get an extension and talk this over?
    Players said, no more extensions unless you hand over 10 years of audits for us to work from.
    Owners said no.
    The owners asked for an extension again.
    The players were adamant about not giving an extension without the audits.
    The owners said no and called the player's bluff.
    Players follow through with what they claim they will do and decertify to preempt the owners outright locking them out.

In exchange for giving up their rights under labor protection laws, the union was able to become a Trade Organization instead of a union. Unions can be locked out under Federal law, non-unionized players cannot be. The owners rationale for locking out players now is that decertification is a sham.

By decertifying, the players take their case to court and make various collusion allegations on the part of the 32 clubs and seek an injunction to block their lockout of the players on the grounds that the players are employees and have contracts with the 32 separate businesses.

Various legal attacking points for the players: The Draft, the Franchise Tag, Restricted Free Agency(?), Incentive laden contracts, and other stuff that makes any fan's head spin.

The owners allege that the player decertification forced for them to lock them out.
    The players claim that the owners were going to lock them out regardless and this was the only chance they had to fight it.

The players would have had no legal recourse for 6 months had they decertified AFTER the CBA expired in accordance with Federal law. The players would have had no legal recourse PERIOD had they not decertified and the owners lockout of the players would be entirely legal.

As far as a resolution goes, we will not see CBA talks resume until after the court hearings start. If there is an injunction issued on the lockout, expect for owners to be more willing to open their books. But, nothing is certain at this point.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Thanks for the info UA...Sounds like a mess to me...this going back and forth.
    UGH..I don't know what to think...was reading some info from Chiefs owner
    Clark Hunt...here is what he had to say if you're interested.

The NFL players are suing the owners, who in turn have barred the players from their practice and conditioning facilities.

“If we still don’t have an agreement by mid-August, then that’s a scenario that’s bad for everybody,” Hunt said. “It’s bad for the owners, it’s bad for the players and it’s certainly bad for the fans.

“I’m disappointed that the negotiations broke down yesterday, but I’m not discouraged about getting a deal done at some point in the future. I think what happened yesterday is just part of the process, and ultimately we’ll be able to get a deal with the union that preserves the 2011 season. There’s still a lot of time.”
    Hunt, as a member of the NFL’s labor negotiations committee, was involved with the negotiations.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/12...#ixzz1Ge3wBhAm

I just posted part of the article per board rules.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by zbeg View Post
    The top end of the players makes millions, but the average player does not make quite as much. Well, not annually anyway. Average career is around three years, and average salary is around $750k a year. That sounds pretty good.

...until you realize that they're dying two decades earlier than the average American male. Life expectancy for American males is 78. Life expectancy for former NFL players is 59.

How much is it worth to you to shave off nearly 20 years off your life? Not to mention the quality of life is significantly diminished over the course of their lives due to health issues, brain trauma, etc. Want to be 40 years old and already showing the signs of Alzheimer's? Suit up and play football!

So the players want money? Let 'em have it. I wouldn't trade 20 years of my life for millions of dollars. Money just isn't that important to me. What is important to me, however, is being able to watch the Broncos play every Sunday in the fall.

Maybe that makes me a monster. I don't know.

Though I'm no longer in the stage of my life where finding $5 I didn't know I had meant I got to eat, my wife and I aren't wealthy - and some of these players will make more in a year then we will make in our lifetimes.

But I also get a much longer, healthier, happier lifetime. I don't want to trade that for any amount of money.

The players are damaging their bodies permanently to give us something to watch on Sunday. Let them have their millions; the least we can do is make sure they can get something out of it before they enter the stage of their lives where they're in constant pain and will die early.
    Oh please. Its not like EVERY player is doomed to die or lose 20 years of their life. There are plenty of players who are still alive and played in a worse era when the sport could actually hit each other. Is money the be all end all? Nope. But considering im 40 and my wife and i still live paycheck to paycheck i would take that $750 grand in a heartbeat. Why do i want to be running around in a diaper at age 70? Furthermore, some of those players arent even investing or putting money away to benefit themselves or their families.

*edit*

I will also add that if anyone should be paid "more" money it would be the military personnel who put their lives at risk everyday. So sorry if i just cant feel sorry for guys who drive around with fancy cars, wear bling and act like morons by running over guys in the street with their SUV while intoxicated, set up dog fighting rings, and have several kids by several different women because they dont know what a condom is. At the end of the day its just about greed for both sides but dont come on here trying to throw a ******* pity party for the players. Plenty of people die before their time and are a lot worse off and dont get paid millions of dollars in the process.
    Last edited by Northman; 03-15-2011 at 04:05 AM.

18. The Following 6 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

Back to the original OP....

I think that the NFLPA are acting like asshats on this one. If you sit aside the $$ and look at what this event is, it's just wrong.

The players coming out that will go in the first round have been looking forward to this day for years. Being drafted in the first round is HUGE to a player. So in order to try and make a point, they SCREW these young players out of something they have worked hard for.

It's petty and it's wrong. Give them their moment in the spotlight. They deserve it.
    Thanks Shake!

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Oh please. Its not like EVERY player is doomed to die or lose 20 years of their life. There are plenty of players who are still alive and played in a worse era when the sport could actually hit each other. Is money the be all end all? Nope. But considering im 40 and my wife and i still live paycheck to paycheck i would take that $750 grand in a heartbeat. Why do i want to be running around in a diaper at age 70? Furthermore, some of those players arent even investing or putting money away to benefit themselves or their families.

*edit*

I will also add that if anyone should be paid "more" money it would be the military personnel who put their lives at risk everyday. So sorry if i just cant feel sorry for guys who drive around with fancy cars, wear bling and act like morons by running over guys in the street with their SUV while intoxicated, set up dog fighting rings, and have several kids by several different women because they dont know what a condom is. At the end of the day its just about greed for both sides but dont come on here trying to throw a ******* pity party for the players. Plenty of people die before their time and are a lot worse off and dont get paid millions of dollars in the process.
    Truth to Power North!

Quote Originally Posted by bcbronc View Post
    on the other hand, the owners are even more replaceable than the players. Do you, or anyone else, give a rat's behind who signs the cheques?

when hockey went through their thing, there was rumblings about the players starting their own league. NFL players have been making a ton more dough the past while than NHL players, so they could do the same.

if the owners re-started the NFL with a bunch of second or third tier scabs, and the NFLPA started a league with all the cream of the crop, which would you watch? Personally, I'm a fan of the Denver Broncos second, and a fan of football first, so I'd go to where the highest quality football is.

bottom line, people need to stop swallowing what EITHER side is shoving down their throats. Both sides are lying ******** that don't give a single shit about us, the fans. both sides went into this fully expecting the previous CBA to expire with no deal done. Negotiations won't be taken seriously until August, n all likelihood.

don't be such suckers. the owners are lying scumbags, just like the players are. Bot sides just care about getting MORE and neither side deserves our support.
    Nobody would watch the NFL player's. They would not have coaches, jersey's, stadiums, flights to meet to play, or anything else needed to hold the games. The player's don't want those burden's and getting them to agree on a share for each player would be hilarious. Face it the player's need the league more than the owner's need this set of player's.

22. The Following User High Fived gregbroncs For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post

*edit*

LMAO.....exactly.

Broken bones/joints/ligaments are the results of playing this game. If there is ANY player that doesn't know that going in, they don't deserve to belong, imo.
    The Legacy players, ok, they deserve help.

Boxers know their sport's consequences. Basketball players know they may walk with crutches.
    Common denominator for all sports is the players ALL know what they're getting into beforehand, and are well compensated.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

24. The Following User High Fived rcsodak For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gregbroncs View Post
    Nobody would watch the NFL player's. They would not have coaches, jersey's, stadiums, flights to meet to play, or anything else needed to hold the games. The player's don't want those burden's and getting them to agree on a share for each player would be hilarious. Face it the player's need the league more than the owner's need this set of player's.
    No doubt! Many of these players spent 2yrs in college taking classes that I would venture to say, aren't the toughest. Most have their agents handling their money out of necessity....'derrr...how could I be overdrawn? I still have checks left!'
    How many players out there are smart enough to 'own/operate a team?

Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information