Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nflpa asks 2011 draft class to boycott draft

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Sources: NFLPA orders draft boycott

An offseason turned upside down will continue to get odder.

The NFL Players Association is putting into place a plan that would prevent each top college prospect from attending next month's draft in New York, according to multiple league sources. The NFLPA already has contacted 17 top prospects who ordinarily would have received an invitation to attend the draft and informed them not to go.

Thus, when NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announces the name of the first player selected, the player will not walk onto the stage at Radio City Music Hall as has been the custom. And the player will not be there to do interviews with ESPN or NFL Network. The draft will go on, but not in the manner in which it has been conducted before.

"As of right now, this is 100 percent happening," said one source familiar with the NFL Players Association's thinking. "This is going down."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2...ory?id=6216135 - full article

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

solidarity.
    If not me, who?

3. The Following User High Fived bcbronc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Gene Upshaw was so professional and classy, NOTHING like what is going on now would have ever went on when he was the "spokesman" for the players.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStud View Post
    We need there to be SCABS coming in and replacing the existing greedy phucks. The last time that happened Joe Montanta had enough and crosse the picket line and started playing, then the rest followed.

I don't care if it is a bunch of unknowns playing I just want football. The current players and DeMaurice Smith can screw off.
    What part about a LOCKOUT do you not understand? This is the OWNERS preventing the players from coming to work, not the players withholding their services for higher pay. The players ARE NOT on strike. The players are LOCKED OUT, unable to enter team facilities. Please read into the situation! Blame can be heaped onto the players no doubt, but to blame the players for not coming to work and call for scabs indicates a huge misunderstanding of the situation on your part.

In fact, the whole reason the player's union decertified was to get an injunction against the owners locking them out in the first place.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Let the replacement draft begin.
    Merry.

Quote Originally Posted by KCL View Post
    I am sick of millionaires crying because they can't be richer...
    The top end of the players makes millions, but the average player does not make quite as much. Well, not annually anyway. Average career is around three years, and average salary is around $750k a year. That sounds pretty good.

...until you realize that they're dying two decades earlier than the average American male. Life expectancy for American males is 78. Life expectancy for former NFL players is 59.

How much is it worth to you to shave off nearly 20 years off your life? Not to mention the quality of life is significantly diminished over the course of their lives due to health issues, brain trauma, etc. Want to be 40 years old and already showing the signs of Alzheimer's? Suit up and play football!

So the players want money? Let 'em have it. I wouldn't trade 20 years of my life for millions of dollars. Money just isn't that important to me. What is important to me, however, is being able to watch the Broncos play every Sunday in the fall.

Maybe that makes me a monster. I don't know.

Though I'm no longer in the stage of my life where finding $5 I didn't know I had meant I got to eat, my wife and I aren't wealthy - and some of these players will make more in a year then we will make in our lifetimes.

But I also get a much longer, healthier, happier lifetime. I don't want to trade that for any amount of money.

The players are damaging their bodies permanently to give us something to watch on Sunday. Let them have their millions; the least we can do is make sure they can get something out of it before they enter the stage of their lives where they're in constant pain and will die early.
    Last edited by zbeg; 03-14-2011 at 08:30 PM.

8. The Following User High Fived zbeg For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    What part about a LOCKOUT do you not understand? This is the OWNERS preventing the players from coming to work, not the players withholding their services for higher pay. The players ARE NOT on strike. The players are LOCKED OUT, unable to enter team facilities. Please read into the situation! Blame can be heaped onto the players no doubt, but to blame the players for not coming to work and call for scabs indicates a huge misunderstanding of the situation on your part.

In fact, the whole reason the player's union decertified was to get an injunction against the owners locking them out in the first place.
    I have read that on here before; however, the union decertified first, and then the owners locked them out, so, therefore, the decertification did NOT stop a lockout. So, there must have been another reason that the players decertified.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    I have read that on here before; however, the union decertified first, and then the owners locked them out, so, therefore, the decertification did NOT stop a lockout. So, there must have been another reason that the players decertified.
    Not yet - the decertification allows them to sue for an injunction, and have the lockout stopped. That lawsuit is still pending.

Had they not decertified, they would be unable to sue for that injunction, and would be locked out with no recourse. Also, had they not decertified by the deadine Friday, they would have had to wait six months to decertify and then seek an inunction.

Decertification/injunction gives us the best chance of having no work stoppage in the fall, and us watching NFL football. Even if it takes years to work out in the courts, we can have football under the old CBA, which is essentially what happened from 1989-1992.

11. The Following User High Fived zbeg For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

I'll match your boycott and raise you a boycott.
    Merry.

13. The Following User High Fived Day1BroncoFan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by zbeg View Post
    The top end of the players makes millions, but the average player does not make quite as much. Well, not annually anyway. Average career is around three years, and average salary is around $750k a year. That sounds pretty good.

...until you realize that they're dying two decades earlier than the average American male. Life expectancy for American males is 78. Life expectancy for former NFL players is 59.

How much is it worth to you to shave off nearly 20 years off your life? $225k, which is about what having a child costs you over an 18 year period? Not to mention the quality of life is significantly diminished over the course of their lives due to health issues, brain trauma, etc. Want to be 40 years old and already showing the signs of Alzheimer's? Suit up and play football!

So the players want money? Let 'em have it. I wouldn't trade 20 years of my life for millions of dollars. Money just isn't that important to me. What is important to me, however, is being able to watch the Broncos play every Sunday in the fall.

Maybe that makes me a monster. I don't know.

Though I'm no longer in the stage of my life where finding $5 I didn't know I had meant I got to eat, my wife and I aren't wealthy - and some of these players will make more in a year then we will make in our lifetimes.

But I also get a much longer, healthier, happier lifetime. I don't want to trade that for any amount of money.

The players are damaging their bodies permanently to give us something to watch on Sunday. Let them have their millions; the least we can do is make sure they can get something out of it before they enter the stage of their lives where they're in constant pain and will die early.
    Wow, you are really buying what the NFLPA is selling...

You threw out a lot of numbers, which I can neither prove nor disprove. However, I have a hard time believing that the average life expectency is a full 20 years shorter for players. Especially if your stat about the average career being three years long is correct. There is no way both of those numbers can be right.

Furthermore, even after taking a haircut, they are still going to be paid exorbitant salaries. I just don't even have one tiny bit of sympathy for them.

15. The Following 6 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Gene Upshaw was so professional and classy, NOTHING like what is going on now would have ever went on when he was the "spokesman" for the players.
    Carol you are the best but come on..

Gene Upshaw was talking potential strike about the owners opting out of this CBA back in 08.

Gene Upshaw lead a strike in 87.. Once the strike failed Gene Upshaw decertfied the Union..
    you tell me how different things are now?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    Carol you are the best but come on..

Gene Upshaw was talking potential strike about the owners opting out of this CBA back in 08.

Gene Upshaw lead a strike in 87.. Once the strike failed Gene Upshaw decertfied the Union..
    you tell me how different things are now?
    Yeah, and how many players have quoted Gene Upshaw directly saying "Gene Upshaw always said 'never give up any money to the owners because you'll never get it back.'"

He set the table for this work stoppage.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Wow, you are really buying what the NFLPA is selling...

You threw out a lot of numbers, which I can neither prove nor disprove. However, I have a hard time believing that the average life expectency is a full 20 years shorter for players. Especially if your stat about the average career being three years long is correct. There is no way both of those numbers can be right.

Furthermore, even after taking a haircut, they are still going to be paid exorbitant salaries. I just don't even have one tiny bit of sympathy for them.
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...4058615722.htm
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lifexpec.htm

As for the 59 year life expectancy figure, that's on the high end, depending on position. As low as 53.

http://www.seattlepi.com/football/36...lhealth09.html

So I might have understated how early they die.

Millions of dollars, or living an extra 20-25 years? I know what choice I'd take.
    Last edited by zbeg; 03-14-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Uh, the players HAD to decertify at some point to block a lockout. If the players had waited until after the CBA expired to decertifty, it would be 6 months before they could file an antitrust lawsuit. By doing it prior to the CBA expiring, they will be able to block a lockout and likely resolve this in court before the season would have started. If the player's union were still a union and not a trade association, there would be no way for them to get an injunction to block a lockout because the owners would be in their rights to lock them out.

This was the only tool the players had to combat the lockout that the owners had obviously been preparing for since they opted out of the CBA 2 years ago. Decertifying was a common sense move by the union. Not allowing for another CBA-talk extension without a promise to see audits from the owners? That's an entirely different debate.

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Yeah, and how many players have quoted Gene Upshaw directly saying "Gene Upshaw always said 'never give up any money to the owners because you'll never get it back.'"

He set the table for this work stoppage.
    I do not look at it this way.. The super success of the NFL set the table. the owners save Cinci and Buff set the table as much as Upshaw for agreeing to the last CBA.
    I have no issue whatsoever with the players for negotiating for the best deal the market will bare. and yet the players are demonized for not blindly accepting a pay cut? this is just crazy to me..

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information